Examining private fund finance & compliance in a shifting regulatory environment
With increasing responsibilities, investor demands and regulatory requirements, CFOs and CCOs are wearing multiple hats while navigating an evolving regulatory environment.
The Private Fund Compliance Forum San Francisco is poised to examine what senior finance and compliance professionals are balancing in order to meet investor and regulatory demands. Attendees will discuss what should be on the radar for CFOs and CCOs and what has impacted the private fund industry thus far and what to expect in the years to come.
The Forum provides a platform for private equity and venture capital CFOs and CCOs to come together to discuss where finance and compliance roles intersect and the strategies for approaching emerging issues and evolving responsibilities.
Key topics to be covered at the event:
- SEC exams
- Fee and expense allocations
- Conflicts of interest, valuations
- How to grow your firm
Chief Financial Officer and Managing Director, Operations
Featured SEC speaker
Director, San Francisco Regional Office
U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission
Featured SEC speaker
Co-Deputy Director, Office of Compliance Inspections and Examinations (OCIE)
U.S. Securities and Exchange
Why attend the Forum?
Explore critical changes
Learn about the latest approaches for mitigating risk and managing the firm’s compliance program.
Connect with the industry
Join 125+ finance and compliance professionals to discuss how to effectively manage their dual-hatted functions. Build relationships that last through the refreshment breaks, drinks receptions and networking lunches.
CFO/CCO hot topics
Discover new ways to deal with conflicts of interest, cybersecurity, tax changes, expense allocations and valuations.
What our attendees say about the event
CFO, LLR Partners
Very well done and good mix of topics and speakers.
Director Business Development, Vistra
Good conference, lot’s of C-level exec’s. The outsourcing breakout session was excellent!
Business Development Executive, Kroll
Excellent group of participants highly engaged throughout.
Last year's attendees
Up to 12 CPE credits available
PEI is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy
(NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry
of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance
of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may
be addressed to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website: www.
For more information on the agenda, or to propose a speaker, please contact:
Zakira Ralling at email@example.com or +1 646-545-3321
Day 1 - Thursday 3rd
Think tank breakfast (invite only): CFO Think Tank
- CFO perspectives and best practices
Think tank breakfast (invite only): CCO / GC Think Tank
- CCO and GC perspectives and best practices
Director Events – Americas
CFO roundtable: on the frontline
- What are currently the biggest risks facing private equity?
- Operational Due Diligence: What questions are investors asking? How do we improve operational efficiency?
- Outsourcing: perceived challenges of outsourcing to third-party service providers
- Valuation (boosting Port Co. value)
- Identifying top priorities to deal with operational complexity
- Fee pressures from investors
- How are PE firms vesting their carried interest?
- Strategies for finding undervalued assets in the current market
- Growing your firm in the current competitive environment (how to build a billion dollar + firm)
Joshua Cherry-Seto, CFO & CCO, Blue Wolf Capital Partners
Morning networking break
SEC examination priorities
- Increased focus on conflicts of interest matters and portfolio management issues
- Fees and expenses
- Digital assets and cybersecurity
- Portfolio management and Trading
Jason Brown, Partner, Ropes & Gray
Amelia Stoj, CCO, Director of Investor Relations and Registered In-House Counsel, Foresite Capital
All things tech
- Implementing data automation
- Is it possible finding the ROI of a tech investment?
- When is it time to upgrade your tech?
- The future of PE highlighting AI, cloud tech, data storage
- Outsourcing tech needs
Compliance roundtable: navigating an increasingly complicated regulatory landscape
- How to interpret the new AICPA rules
- Regulatory change and political uncertainty
- Market risk and high-risk products
- Cooperation and self-reporting
- Conduct risk and sexual harassment
- Personal liability
- Conflicts of interest
- Outside business activities
Steve Eisner, General Counsel & Chief Compliance Officer, Francisco Partners
Krista Killian, Compliance Director for the Americas, CVC Capital Partners
Gwen Reinke, Chief Compliance Officer, Vista Equity Partners
Track A | Growing your start-up
CFOs and senior finance executives are taking on a greater role at startups and early-stage growth companies.
- Budgeting and planning
- Cash Management
- Board Preparation
- HR & Legal
- Establishing Metrics & Monitoring Success and failures
- Leading Process Implementation
Track B | Private credit: compliance and risk management
- How can PE fund address and minimize conflict when expanding into credit?
- Strategic approaches to the formation and growth of a private debt fund
- Are changes to your infrastructure necessary?
- Mitigating allocation and compliance issues
- What the SEC Sweep of Private Credit Firms Means for CCOs
Track C | New rules and regulations: The California Privacy Act
The California Privacy Act comes into force on January 1, 2020 with a one-year look back provision, so it is essential that private fund managers understand how this will affect their data operations. The CCPA is coming and now is the time for PE funds to take action.
- What does the law require business to do?
- What exactly is personal data?
- How will it affect PE firms?
- How does the CCPA compare to the GDPR?
- What does this mean for investment due diligence?
- What other states will follow California’s lead?
Afternoon networking break
Keynote fireside chat
Chairman's closing remarks
Day 2 - Friday 4th
Chairman’s opening remarks
Dale Thompson, CPA, Assurance Partner, Asset Management Practice, BDO
Erin Schneider, Associate Regional Director, Enforcement, San Francisco Regional Office, SEC
Kristin Snyder, Co-Deputy Director, Office of Compliance Inspections and Examinations (OCIE); National Associate Director of the Investment Adviser/Investment Company Examination Program, SEC
Cyber risk management
- Data Protection
- Prioritizing cybersecurity in the due diligence processes
- Formal vendor management program
- Investing in next gen technology
- How to write cybersecurity policies to avoid legal trouble
Venture capital/growth equity: finance, administration & operations
- Increasing LP and regulatory scrutiny
- Accounting & auditing standards
- Capital formation and regulation
- Fundraising – Q1 fundraising is at an all-time high…Why?
- Operating Principles
- Entity formation and operations
Taxation: what should PE firms expect in 2020?
- How will U.S. tax reform enacted before the close of 2017 continue to shape private equity activity in 2019 and 2020?
- Carried interest could be a focus after 2020 elections – Is the end of the carried interest tax break nearing?
- How has the passage of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act affected the PE industry?
- Important tax reform for venture capital firms
- Research & Development Tax Credit Reform, QSBS Reform, 382 Safe Harbor and Stock Options Tax Deferral
- Capital Gains Rate and Carried Interest and Capital Gains Rate Differential
Chairman's closing remarks
Interested in speaking at the 2019 Forum?
Please contact Zakira Ralling at firstname.lastname@example.org or call +1 646-545-3321
CFO & CCO, Blue Wolf Capital Partners
Chief Financial Officer and Managing Director, Operations, Genstar Capital
General Counsel and Chief Compliance Officer, Francisco Partners
Compliance Director for the Americas, CVC Capital Partners
Chief Financial Officer, Pfingsten Partners
Chief Compliance Officer, Vista Equity Partners
Senior Vice President & Chief Information Officer, General Atlantic
Director of Privacy, ACA Aponix
Director, San Francisco Regional Office, U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission
Co-Deputy Director, Office of Compliance Inspections and Examinations (OCIE); National Associate Director of the Investment Adviser/Investment Company Examination Program, U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission
Chief Compliance Officer, Director of Investor Relations and Registered In-House Counsel, Foresite Capital
Assurance Partner Asset Management Practice, BDO
Chief Compliance Officer, Advent International Corporation
Showcase your company at the event
The Private Fund Compliance Forum San Francisco 2019 will offer a unique opportunity for organizations to raise their profile by meeting with the senior private equity finance and compliance professionals across two days of engaging panel discussions and networking opportunities.
For exclusive sponsorship packages for 2019, contact Jimmy Kurtovic at email@example.com or call +1 646-795-3273.
515 Mason St, San Francisco, CA 94102
JW Marriott San Francisco
BOOK YOUR ROOM TODAY
Hotel accommodations are also available at the JW Marriott. We have arranged a special conference rate of $319.00 + tax. Rooms are limited and are on a first-come-first-served basis; early booking is strongly advised. Deadline to book is by September 11th, 2019.