The debt world is evolving as the lending market continues to diversify. Whilst banks still constitute the biggest part of the market, their dominance is decreasing as alternative sources of capital grow. This shift will continue through 2020 as lending from non-traditional sources continues to increase.
The PERE Debt and Finance Forum is your opportunity to connect with Europe’s most active debt fund managers; insurance companies, institutional investors, traditional bank lenders and borrowers as they discuss the biggest trends and latest developments in the real estate debt markets.
This forum is co-located with PERE Europe
PERE has a long-standing history of connecting the private real estate community, providing high-quality content through its objective and in-depth coverage, keeping you abreast of industry movements on a global scale.
Register your interest today to immerse yourself in this insightful market intelligence.
Meet the biggest global debt fund managers and service providers to understand the current real estate financing environment and explore the trends that will influence your debt investment strategies.
Debt Fund Managers
Meet the region’s most insightful investors as they seek to diversify their exposure to debt strategies and hear perspectives on the current industry climate.
Meet with your alternative and traditional lender peers to discover who is lending to which asset type and on what terms. Hear directly from the borrowers to understand how they are approaching leverage, pricing and relationship lending.
Connect with some of the biggest investors in real estate including
Head of Investments - Europe, Oxford Properties
A very informative and enjoyable conference with great attendees and speakers.
Head of Real Estate Finance UK, BNP Paribas
The Forum was excellent with a high calibre level of attendees.
A great opportunity to hear and connect with senior industry professionals.
PERE Europe 2020 will focus on the strategies that are influencing the market, the deals that are making the headlines, and the people who are driving innovation.
PERE has a long-standing history of connecting the private real estate community, providing content through its objectives and in-depth coverage, keeping you abreast of industry movements on a global scale.
Head of Origination International Investors, Berlin Hyp
Head of Corporate Lending, Investec Structured Property Finance
Head of Investor Research, PEI Media
CEO and Co-Founder, Apache Capital Partners
Managing Director, AEW
Head of Debt Europe, Nuveen Real Estate
Managing Director, Goldman Sachs
Investment Director, The Collective
Chief Investment Officer - Real Estate, Norges Bank Investment Management
Partner, Co-Head, European Real Estate Equity, Ares Management
Head of Europe & Asia-Pacific Real Estate Debt, Barings
Managing Director adn Co-Portfolio Manager Europe Real Estate, Angelo Gordon
Managing Director and Head of Real Estate, Starwood Capital
Managing Director and Head of Real Estate Investments, CPPIB
Head of Funding, Argent Related London
CEO AXA Investment Managers - Real Assets, Member of AXA IM Management Board, AXA IM
CEO, LCI Investment Company
Senior Managing Director, Head of Real Estate Europe, Blackstone
Global Head of Real Estate and Deputy Head of Private Markets, Aberdeen Standard Investments
Managing Director and Head of Real Estate Europe, Carlyle Real Estate Advisors
CEO, Brunswick Real Estate Capital Advisory AB
Managing Director, BlackRock Real Assets
Partner, Katten Muchin Rosenman
CEO, Allianz Real Estate
Global Portfolio Strategist, CBRE Global Investors
Chief Investment Officer, Aviva Investors Real Assets
Day 1 - Wednesday 24th
Registration and Networking
Introduction by PERE and welcome from the Chair
Keynote Address: State of play - the geopolitical and macroeconomic factors impacting real estate
- Modelling cashflows against the backdrop of Brexit and geopolitical uncertainty
- Implications of current/anticipated fiscal and monetary policy post Brexit
- Deploying capital: structural versus cyclical strategies
- Investing in a ‘lower-for longer’ interest rate environment
- Does rising inequality pose a risk to traditional underwriting assumptions?
- Risk of deflation and the impact on real assets
Keynote Investor Panel: Scene-setting - European real estate’s largest investors survey the landscape as we enter a new decade
- Asset allocation: what role do absolute return strategies play versus relative performance ones?
- Risk management: managing risk against the cyclicality of underlying markets and asset life cycles (tenant rollover, obsolescence risk)
- Defensive investment strategies: what from will these take?
- Should investors assume historically low yields are the new market norm?
- Deployment strategies to cyclically time investments
Moderator: Edward Tran, Partner, Katten Muchin Rosenman
Coffee & Networking
Global perspectives - what are leading fund managers predicting for the next decade?
- Which sectors will benefit from technological disruption and who will be more vulnerable as a result?
- Outlook on the rates/yield environment
- The growth of broader return target vehicles
- Mega trends and structural shifts impacting real estate investment; technology, sustainability, demographics, E-commerce and migration
Senior Managing Director, Head of Real Estate Europe, BlackstoneRead bio
Managing Director, BlackRock Real AssetsRead bio
Chief Investment Officer, Aviva Investors Real AssetsRead bio
Managing Director adn Co-Portfolio Manager Europe Real Estate, Angelo GordonRead bio
Managing Director and Head of Real Estate Europe, Carlyle Real Estate AdvisorsRead bio
Data download: REC's European debt fund rankings 2020
The 2020 Real Estate Capital Debt Fund 20 ranking is based on the amount of capital raised of firms between 1 January 2015 and 31 December 2019 for the sole purpose of real estate lending in Europe. This unique presentation will highlight the growth of a niche but growing industry.
Real estate financing and the debt markets
- Investing in debt funds on a risk adjusted return basis: managing return expectations for debt investors
- Are investors, fund managers and banks taking a more aggressive approach to leverage?
- Alternative versus traditional finance: who is lending and on what terms?
- How to provide satisfactory all-in-returns while preserving adequate late-cycle underwriting discipline
CMBS 2.0: will CMBS become a mainstream financing tool?
NPLs – taking advantage of opportunities in European distressed debt
- Interest from investors in distressed debt is rising and the volume of NPL-related transactions is increasing
- Learn how the leading private debt firms are building distressed debt investment strategies
- Hear about the landscape of European opportunities in Greece, Spain, Italy and Ireland
Sustainable lending: how are debt providers incorporating ESG criteria into their business models?
- How can real estate lenders incorporate ESG considerations into their business practices when they do not have direct control over properties?
- How do sustainability-linked loans work, and are they having an impact in the market?
- How can real estate debt providers tap into demand from green capital markets?
Coffee & Networking
Assessing the relative value of financial and real assets in the current cycle
- Where is the best relative investment value by region, sector, state of development, public or private?
- How does real estate compare against other real assets and alternatives?
- Why, in a low-return environment, do real assets offer relatively stronger returns as compared to financial assets?
- What are the implications for portfolio allocations to real assets?
Networking Roundtables – Led by an expert moderator, the roundtables will create an informal environment to discuss and debate opportunities and challenges across different private real estate strategies. Delegates will be able to move around tables, maximizing networking and learning opportunities.
- Regis vs WeWork management contracts vs long leases
- Buy and operate vs lease and operate models
- Where do more niche strategies fit in?
- The rise of side products; triple net lease
- One stop shop: dealing with manager consolidation
- How to capitalize on an emerging opportunity
- What exactly is co-living and how best to invest in the space?
- First time funds; what do investors want to see before making a commitment?
Networking Drinks Reception
Day 2 - Thursday 25th
Investor Breakfast (by invitation only)
Registration & Networking
Welcome from the Chair
PERE Predictions 2020 and beyond
Raising and deploying debt
At the beginning of this session, the audience will be polled to find out which strategy is their top pick for debt in 2020. The poll will be repeated at the end to see if our experts have been able to sway the vote.
Each speaker will have a maximum of 10 minutes to present the investment case for their chosen strategy opening it up to discussion and debate from the floor.
Aligning the interests of borrowers and lenders
- Are borrowers asking for higher leverage as the cycle plays out?
- How are borrowers evaluating different sources of finance?
- Are borrowers more inclined towards longer loan terms in order to lock in finance at low rates?
- To what extent are borrowers now comfortable with borrowing from non-bank lenders?
Coffee & Networking
- Under what circumstances are lenders providing new finance against retail properties?
- How are lenders dealing with loan covenant breaches?
- The rise of vulture funds and investor appetite for distressed debt
- What should ‘repositioning’ mean in the retail market and how can real estate lenders play a role in the transformation of obsolete shopping centre properties?
Learning to finance and underwrite an evolving real estate market
- New concepts: co-working, co-living, last-mile logistics
- Understanding income streams
- Structuring and financing a co-working deal?
Under the microscope: case studies
High profile European RE deals examined. Get a behind the scenes look at what’s been happening in H1 2020
Close of conference
PERE Debt and Finance offers a unique opportunity for organisations to raise their profile by aligning themselves with the information provider for the private real estate industry.
For more information on the available sponsorship opportunities contact:
Christopher Wagland, Business Development – EMEA
E: firstname.lastname@example.org | T: +44 (0) 0207 566 5475