On September 24-25, the Private Debt Investor New York Forum will bring together over 350 senior professionals engaged in the continued expansion of private debt as an asset class. The Forum enters its sixth successful year as the premier gathering for investors to discuss how private credit strategies fit into their investment portfolios as we approach the top of the cycle.
This year’s Forum guarantees a unique opportunity to network with the largest group of industry experts who are all navigating a market full of high return expectations, yet fraught with risk. Join us to explore a broad spectrum of private credit strategies across the capital structure including senior secured loans, subordinated debt, distressed, special situations, niche strategies, real estate, infrastructure and more.
Join the Forum to:
- Meet over 350 private debt professionals, including 70+ institutional investors to cultivate new business relationships
- Hear how firms are differentiating themselves in this highly competitive and dynamic market
- Engage in the debate on best practices and return strategies across the private debt and credit asset class
- Gain insight from the Private Debt Investor editorial team and access exclusive data from PDI’s Research & Analytics
- Attend a wide range of sessions including breakout panels, off-the-record roundtables, and fireside chats with industry thought leaders
Meet the top performing private debt managers and learn how GPs might best weather a potential slowdown.
For fund managers
Advance your firm profile, showcase your expertise and share thought-leadership with investors.
Attend hours of networking sessions to meet the most active LPs allocating to private debt funds.
See inside for:
» A sample of past attendees, including total investor AUM.
» Featured speakers, including keynotes from Apollo Global Management, Ares, Golub Capital, and Oaktree Capital Management.
» Key topics covering middle market direct lending, niche and alternative credit strategies, and investor priorities.
Investors that attended last year
What keeps you awake at night? That’s the question we posed to three leading asset class professionals at last year’s Private Debt Investor New York Forum, including Ted Koenig from Monroe Capital, Tod Trabocco from Cambridge Associates, and Marc Lasry from Avenue Capital Group. Watch this two-minute video to find out their answers.
What our attendees say about the Forum
Kurt Bock, Chief Executive Officer
Absolutely invaluable! The perspectives from GPs, LPs, and industry analysts all in one place made this the most beneficial investor meeting I will attend this…
Churchill Asset Management
Randy Schwimmer, Senior Managing Director
Particularly liked the number of institutional investors who attended.
Blueprint Capital Advisors
Ed Robertiello, Chief Investment Officer
Educational and well balanced regarding pros and cons to private lending.
Kurt Bock, Chief Executive Officer
Absolutely invaluable! The perspectives from GPs, LPs, and industry analysts all in one place made this the most beneficial investor meeting I will attend this year.
View each tab below to explore the two-day agenda, packed full with insightful panel discussions, keynotes and powerful networking breaks for the leaders in private debt and credit. Interested in participating in the Forum? Contact Arleen Buckley at firstname.lastname@example.org or +1 212 633 1454.
Day 1 - Tuesday 24th
Breakfast for all attendees
Women’s networking breakfast, co-hosted by Women in Alternative Debt (invitation only)
Panel | LP voices: seeking alpha in private debt today
- Which alternative lending strategies are performing well and why?
- Finding credit strategies that deliver uncorrelated returns
- Is the direct lending market over-saturated, and how can managers continue to differentiate themselves from the competition?
- Which private credit strategies are accretive to a portfolio of middle market direct lending strategies?
- Can investors still find opportunities for outsized returns?
Fireside chat with James Zelter, Co-President of Apollo Global Management
Coffee and networking break
Panel | Cross border transactions
As more private credit managers have been exploring non-U.S. jurisdictions and non-US based managers have been branching out to do deals in the US, we will deconstruct a trio of hypothetical cross–border corporate credit opportunities.
A | Real estate credit strategies
- Return expectations and risk profiles for different types of real estate credit strategies
- Current availability of debt and financing for core and non-core assets
- How risk sharing between lenders and borrowers is changing
B | Opportunities in specialty finance
- Learning more about the risk return profile of asset backed and specialty finance funds
- Appeal of non-correlated returns to investors
- Where do aviation finance, film royalties, equipment leasing, and other asset backed strategies fit in a private credit portfolio?
Panel | Regional spotlight: Europe
- Are investors looking at Europe as an alternative to the highly competitive US market?
- Which markets present the best private debt opportunities across the capital stack – senior secured, NPLs, distressed?
- How are European private debt funds positioned to take advantage of opportunities created by BREXIT?
C | Investing in real asset debt strategies
- Which subsectors are most attractive and why? Transportation, energy, shipping, ports.
- Role of insurance companies as investors
- How do investors benchmark and select real asset debt managers?
- Where do opportunities lie across the capital structure in real asset debt?
- What types of cash yields can investors expect?
D | Opportunities in structured credit and broadly syndicated CLOs
- What advantages do CLOs offer over other structured products and credit assets?
- What impact will the repeal of risk retention have on the CLO market?
- How will a potential economic downturn impact CLO portfolio performance?
Panel | BDCs and middle market CLOs
- Taking advantage of regulatory changes for BDCs permitting additional leverage
- Growth of mid-market CLOs as source of capital
- What happens to the quality of assets if spreads continue to tighten and if loans get downgraded?
E | How can ESG offer managers an additional means of differentiation when pitching to investors?
- How important is governance in private debt, and what are the critical issues that come up in these transactions?
- How far behind is the private debt industry than its private equity counterparts and does this make a difference to investors when allocating funds?
- Can ESG have a positive impact on returns to private debt fund managers or is it merely an investor requirement?
- Is private debt impact investing an oxymoron?
F | Emerging markets debt strategies
- How are private credit markets evolving across Asia, Latin America and other emerging markets?
- Which countries present best investment opportunities
- Are you getting compensated for additional political, economic and currency risks?
Panel | Exploration of top sectors: tech, business services and healthcare
- Where are we in the cycle with respect to these sectors?
- What elements make them attractive right now?
G | Venture lending
- How do you underwrite companies with no cash flow?
- Uses of venture lending
H | Niche strategies gaining traction
- Where do niche strategies fit in a private credit portfolio?
- How to diligence managers and evaluate deal sourcing and underwriting capabilities
- What are realistic return expectations?
Coffee and networking break
Fireside chat with Michael Arougheti, Director, Co-Founder and President of Ares Management
The great debate: are covenants important?
Two teams of debaters will face off to address this important question for the private credit asset class. Why do covenants matter? What’s the impact of EBITDA add backs on covenants?
Closing keynote interview | Seeking alpha in middle market direct lending with David Golub, President of Golub Capital
Chairperson's closing remarks
Networking cocktail reception and end of day 1
Day 2 - Wednesday 25th
Breakfast for all attendees
Invite-only LP Think Tank
Chairperson’s opening remarks
Keynote interview with Howard Marks, Co-Chairman of Oaktree Capital
Case studies | Distressed and special situations
Coffee and networking break
Panel | How will the private debt asset class perform in an economic downturn?
- How are private credit managers positioned to take advance of distressed opportunities?
- How are investors evaluating ability of managers to succeed in a volatile economic environment
- Lessons learned from the Global Financial Crisis
- What types of downside protection are being offered?
- Trends in flexible investment mandates
- Growth in distressed debt fundraising
Partner, DechertRead bio
Kevin P. Magid
Managing Director and Head of Audax Private Debt, Audax Private DebtRead bio
Patrick Frisch, CFA
Managing Director, Head of Investment Industry Finance, ING Capital LLCRead bio
Senior Portfolio Manager – Credit, UPS Group TrustRead bio
Panel | A view from the borrowers: financing deals in today’s market
- Importance of speed and strategic partnerships
- Current trends in financing terms
- Do borrowers have the upper hand?
- Capabilities to work with borrowers in case of a downturn
Panel | Opportunities for LP co-investment and going direct
- Disintermediation: the difficulties in cutting out the middleman
- Different approaches to accessing direct deals
- Due diligence on LP co-investment opportunities
- Building the team and acquiring the expertise
End of day 2
Interested in speaking at the Forum? Please contact Arleen Buckley at email@example.com or +1 212 633 1454.
Co-Head of Private Credit, Eaton Partners
Partner, Proskauer LLP
Director, Co-Founder, CEO and President, Ares Management
Senior Investment Officer - Global Income Strategies, Teachers’ Retirement System of the State of Illinois
Partner, Sullivan & Cromwell
Managing Director, Chief Financial Officer, Global Private Finance, Barings
Partner, Head of Alternative Lender Practice, Paul Hastings LLP
Head of Private Credit, First Eagle Investment Management
Managing Director, Head of Investment Industry Finance, ING Capital LLC
President, Golub Capital
Managing Director and Co-Portfolio Manager Real Estate Debt and Structured Credit, Oaktree Capital
Americas Editor, Private Debt Investor
President, AB Private Credit Investors
President and Chief Executive Officer, Churchill Asset Management
President and Chief Executive Officer, Monroe Capital LLC
Partner and Head of EQT Credit Strategies, EQT Credit
Managing Director, Portfolio Manager Special Situations Fund, Alcentra
Managing Director, Jefferies Finance
Managing Director and Head of Global Private Finance, Barings
Managing Director and Head of Audax Private Debt, Audax Private Debt
Co-Chairman, Oaktree Capital Management
Administrative Vice President, Wilmington Trust
Chief Executive Officer, Cliffwater LLC
Managing Director, Head of Americas, The Alternative Investment Management Association (AIMA)
Global Private Credit Strategist, Aksia
Principal, Apollo Investment Management
Managing Partner, Kartesia Advisors
General Partner & Director of Capital Markets, Welsh, Carson, Anderson & Stowe
Partner, Head of Finance and Restructuring Practice, Paul Hastings LLP
Senior Reporter, Infrastructure Investor
Senior Editor, Private Debt Investor
Senior Portfolio Manager- Credit, UPS Group Trust
Managing Partner, Twin Brook Capital Partners
Senior Vice President, Head of Alternatives and Private Debt Strategies, Lincoln Financial Group
Co-President and Chief Investment Officer, Apollo Global Management
The New York Forum offers a unique opportunity for organizations to raise their profile as a part of the premier meeting for investors allocating to private debt.
For more information on the available sponsorship opportunities, please contact Lawrence Dvorchik at +1 646 545 4429 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click here to reserve hotel accommodations in our room block at the Kimpton Muse Hotel. Rooms are limited and are on a first-come-first-served basis; early booking is strongly advised.