The largest European event specifically dedicated to anyone concerned with growing private equity owned companies.
The Forum provides a unique opportunity to hear from experienced operating partners and C-level executives on how they deliver value creation strategies, create top-line growth and drive EBITDA improvement in their portfolio.
Attendees will have extensive opportunities to network, build relationships and compare best practices with their peers from leading PE firms, expert service providers, CEOs of portfolio companies and many more.
Network with and hear from more operating partners than ever before throughout the event and have an open discussion with your peers at the closed door, operating partners only think tank.
A more outward-looking agenda focused on the views of CEOs and deal partners and their work with operating partners.
Exclusive for 2020
More opportunities for networking with other operating partners and expert service providers built into the event, Over 100 speakers including value creation experts, CEOs from portfolio companies and investment team representatives.
2019 Attendees included
Testimonials from 2019
Managing Partner & CEO, BM&T
This is now the must-attend event for Operating Partners in the UK if not Europe. An excellent opportunity to catch up with the latest thinking and to network w…
Partner, E2T Capital
Good forum, practical, a wealth of know-how sitting in the room and straight to the point
Comatch, Managing Director UK
The forum is a great environment to connect with familiar faces, meet new people and discuss topical issues facing the industry
Managing Partner & CEO, BM&T
This is now the must-attend event for Operating Partners in the UK if not Europe. An excellent opportunity to catch up with the latest thinking and to network with peers
For more information on speaking opportunities in 2020 please contact Charles Gould at firstname.lastname@example.org or call +44 (0) 203 879 3893.
Day 1 - Tuesday 21st
Registration & Coffee
Evolution of the operating partner role: the new player in the deal team?
- How has the operating model evolved? Payment structures, carry, fee for services etc
- Trends in structuring the value creation team: How have things changed?
- How can generalists continue to add value throughout the deal process?
- Deal partners view on how operating partners best operate
Moderator: Fred Burger, Partner – UK&I Transactions Advisory Services, EY
Revenue growth and the strong correlation with successful exits
- Revenue growth is the #1 driver of value creation over a 5-year holding period
- There is a strong correlation between year one revenue growth and successful exits – “grow early, exit well”
- There are common revenue growth levers across industry sectors, but many are sector/situation specific
- Several case studies of commercial transformation will be presented
A short presentation by event knowledge partner Blue Ridge Partners followed by a panel discussion featuring Operating Partner and CEO perspectives
Moderator: Jim Corey, Managing Partner, Blue Ridge Partners
Utilising Automation technologies to accelerate equity value creation
- The future of work
- Enabling scale & improving profitability
- Transforming the cost base and accelerating margin expansion
Keynote Interview: Developing and driving IT strategies across a global enterprise
Coffee & Networking
Capturing pricing upside and other profitable growth opportunities within portfolio companies
- How pricing compares to other value creation strategies across PE deals
- How to identify pricing value in your portfolio
- Case studies in pricing projects and other topline initiatives
Lessons learned when moving from trouble to transformation
- Operational improvement: uncovering weaknesses in how you conduct business
- Restructuring operating models to achieve double digit impact on EBITDA
- Enterprise improvement cost reduction: operational improvement case studies and cost take outs to fund top line growth
Moderator: Rob Southern, Managing Director, Alvarez & Marsal
Managing digital bolt-ons to traditional businesses
- Avoiding culture clashes created by digital bolt-ons
- Can digital and analogue businesses ever work together?
- Comparing bolt-ons to implementing a digital transformation within the company
- War stories when digital bolt-ons have failed
Moderator: Rob Hornby, Managing Director, New York, Alix Partners
Developing a successful multichannel B2B sales strategy in an increasingly digital world
- The evolving role of human sales people
- Ensuring human sales people complement online channels
- What are the sales people there for? Should more businesses be losing sales headcount?
- Examples of humans working together with the online world to deliver results
Moderator: Moti Shahani, Managing Director, Blue Ridge Partners
Making your customer experience a competitive differentiator
- Defining customer experience
- Outlining the role of customer experience in driving value creation portfolio companies
- How customer experience impacts the entire organisation
- What you need to do today within your own businesses to get started
Moderator: Susanne Vanner, Director – Operational Transaction Services, EY
Procurement in PE: turning data into actionable insight
- How data can transform private equity’s approach to procurement in portfolio companies
- Leveraging spend data to drive EBITDA improvement
- Making it happen – who, what, how
- Identifying opportunities cross-portfolio – procurement, insurance and other synergies
Moderator: Richard McIntosh, Managing Partner, Procura Consulting
Deploying data enablement systematically to drive value creation: Hg’s data team journey
- Hg’s ‘data enablement vision’
- What this means in practice: the data lifecycle of one of our companies, from diligence, ownership, to exit
- Overview of the data projects deployed to-date
- Thoughts on how to start the journey
How private equity’s value creation will be powered by data science
- How can using data science drive value creation?
- When to use advanced data analytics and at what point does it create the most value?
- Should value creation teams include heads of data science?
- What can PE learn from hedge funds use of big data
Moderator: Sukhvinder Phalora, Analytics Director, Wipro
How digital transformation to the cloud is impacting private equity
- Cloud adoption impact on PE business models and innovation
- Challenges/opportunities in migrating legacy software architectures to the cloud
- How to leverage the cloud
- Case studies of successful cloud implementation
Moderator:Andrew Russ, Senior Manager Business Development, EMEA, AWS
Developing an effective cybersecurity strategy
- Putting people first: why people not technology are usually the weak spot
- How to prioritise your portfolio by risk profile
- The impact of breaches on sell-on value
- Case studies where companies let their guard down
Moderator: Paul Harragan, Associate Director – Cyber Security, EY
Getting value from the Organisational/HR Operating Partner role
- Risks and benefits of different models in the market
- When to engage the Organisational Operating Partner and for what?
- Background, experience and competencies of successful Organisational Operating Partners
- Pre-requisites to enable success in the role
Moderator: Andros Payne, Managing Partner and Founder, Humatica
Management team playbook: Accelerating management team effectiveness post-deal
- Outlining the role of the operating partner in engaging management teams
- How do you evaluate CEO performance and team dynamics?
- Profit through people: developing and retaining the top talent
- Case studies of successful transformations
Moderator: Steven Gilbert, Partner, RHR International
Improving board effectiveness to ensure board meetings complement value creation strategy
- How to get value out of board meetings
- Designing a boardpack and setting useful KPIs
- Best practice board reporting: How to help individual companies get it right
- Using board meetings to identify downside risks and issues with portfolio companies
Moderator: Megan Pantelides, Head of Private Equity, Board Intelligence
Coffee & Networking
Deal Mechanic case studies: Operational excellence stories explained by the participants
Chair: Declan Feeney, Private Equity Advisor, Efficio
- Carlyle: Itconic
Charlotte Lawrence, Associate Director – European Technology fund, Carlyle
- SVP, Cory Riverside Partners
Tony O’Carroll, Managing Director, Strategic Value Partners
- Triton: Aventis
Claus von Hermann, Investment Advisory Professional, co-head DACH, Triton
Meet the expert: Your chance to build your contacts
Each presenter will make the case that you should join their table in a short 2-minute pitch. The audience will then vote on the best presentation. After the vote the room will be split into roundtable discussions each led by the expert presenter. A 30-minute roundtable discussion will be followed by informal networking allowing delegates to move freely between tables to seek advice whilst enjoying a drink.
- Thematic Sourcing – Christina Han (Partners Group)
- Commercial Transformation – Kate Donaldson (Alvarez & Marsal)
- After-Sales – Paul Glenn (Deutsche Private Equity)
- Customer Experience – Michael Andrews (Sabio)
- Procurement – Toby Munyard (Efficio Consulting)
- Pricing – Mark Billige (Simon Kucher)
- AI & Automation – Jason Glaun (Automation Anywhere)
- Board Effectiveness – Megan Pantelides (Board Intelligence)
Managing Director, Alvarez & MarsalRead bio
Dr Paul Glenn
Portfolio Director, Deutsche Private EquityRead bio
Vice President, Industry Value Creation, Partners GroupRead bio
Vice President, Efficio ConsultingRead bio
Director Private Equity, Automation AnywhereRead bio
Close of Conference & Cocktail Reception
Day 2 - Wednesday 22nd
Invitation-only Think Tank for Operating Partners
This closed-door session is an opportunity to share first-hand accounts on how to best position yourself in your career as an operating partner. The think tank will expose the toughest challenges operating partners face daily and will allow you to learn best practices in dealing with them.
Enabling management teams to boost returns
- Senior management: Make or Buy
- Setting the portfolio company organisation up for success
- Accelerating value creation through upfront talent assessment and enablement
- CEO viewpoint on where management typically needs enablement to succeed
Moderator: Marcel Baettig, Managing Partner, Humatica
Managing Transformations for Long Term Value Creation
- New Coverage Models
- Benchmarking Sales Productivity
- Growth Strategies
Moderator: Nick Hulse, Managing Director – Europe, Sales Benchmark Index
Managing Director – Europe, Sales Benchmark IndexRead bio
Vice President and Head of EMEA Kimberly-Clark Professional - Kimberly-Clark, KCP DivisionRead bio
President and Managing Director, UK & Ireland - Global PaymentsRead bio
EVP Global Sales & Field Operations, Genesys Telecommunications LaboratoriesRead bio
Integrating marketing, sales and service in the c-suite
- How new revenue models and buying processes are blurring the roles of marketing, sales and service
- Developing and leveraging a Chief Revenue Officer role in portfolio companies
- Defining success – requirements for driving performance across the entire customer journey
Moderator: Andrew Horvath, Principal, The Alexander Group
Coffee & Networking
How PE firms add value through operating partners
- Utilising the portfolio support group
- Latest trends in structuring a value creation team
- When to bring in consultants and what type of people to bring in
- Managing staffing at portfolio companies
Moderator: Mark Veldon, Managing Director, Alix Partners
Ensuring success when utilising strategic nearshore options for portfolio companies
- Exploring the reasons that firms look to nearshore options
- Sourcing talent and finding the best culture match for your organisation
- Working with CEOs to maximise opportunities
- Outlining successful case studies and developing a checklist for operating partners
Oxford debate: This house believes that private equity removes too many CEOs too quickly
Rob Southern, Managing Director, Alvarez & Marsal
Against the motion
James Markham, Partner – Portfolio Management, Graphite Capital
Mirco Iwan, Operating Partner, Avedon Capital Partners
For the motion
Alan Foster, Partner, ghSmart
Bryan Turner, Interim Executive & Non-Exec
Close of Conference
The Operating Partners Forum: Europe offers a unique opportunity for organisations to raise their profile as part of the premier meeting for Private Equity professionals focused on value creation.
For more information on available sponsorship opportunities in 2020 please contact Christopher Wagland at email@example.com or call +44 (0) 207 566 5475.
Countless opportunities to connect with other Operating Partners
The only European event bringing together more than 150 experts in value creation at private equity firms together with the surrounding industry.
Informal relationship building
Join your peers during drinks receptions, breakfasts and lunches to connect with potential partners in a more relaxed atmosphere.
Structured networking sessions will be held during conference breaks to allow you to identify attendees with similar interests and goals.