Spanning across two countries from the 5-8 October, PDI Debt Week Europe will bring the private debt community back together in 2021.
On 5-6 October in London and 7-8 October in Munich, over 150 institutional investors will gather along with specialist fund managers and advisors. Attendees will hear from 100 speakers across the week and have ample opportunity to connect with active investors in debt strategies from across Europe.
Book now for the full week and choose between attending both forums in-person or one in-person and one virtually. Join your peers at the Capital Structure Forum and the Germany Forum for an unmissable week of content and networking for the private debt market.
Event content with value
Learn from leading investors and fund managers and understand portfolio construction, get practical guidance for ESG targets, get to grips with opportunistic credit, and hear investor insights.
Build your private debt network
Connect in-person during roundtable discussions, networking breaks, panel Q&As, invite-only breakfasts and an evening drinks reception. Build lasting relationships and compare best practices with your peers.
Meet with institutional investors
Network with active investors in debt strategies in both London and Munich. Benefit from our expansive European investor community who will be in attendance throughout the week.
Keynote investor interview with IMCO in London
Hear from Jennifer Hartviksen, Managing Director of Global Credit, at our London forum. Gain an understanding of IMCO’s recent activity and future strategy in the private credit market.
Hear from Suva, a leading insurance fund in the DACH region
Gain insight from Peter Pukl, Senior Portfolio Manager, at our Munich forum. Get insight into how Suva are in the process of successfully building a diversified debt programme.
Connect with active investors in debt strategies
Head of CRE Debt Funds, Acofi
The PDI Capital Structure Forum is a powerful networking event and provided the latest industry insights.
Director, Alter Domus
It is the quality and number of private debt industry experts that make the event so beneficial.
Founder & Partner, Resilience Partners
Great opportunity to meet specialist private funds and seasoned investors in one setting.
Day 1 - Tuesday 5th
PDI Capital Structure Welcome Address
Chairperson’s Opening Remarks
Opening Keynote Investor Interview
18 months later: performance and possibilities in an era of transition
Keynote Panel Discussion
- How has portfolio performance fared since the beginning of the pandemic? Has it surpassed initial expectations?
- Which strategies have reigned supreme, and why?
- Mitigating factors: what impacts have bank retreatment and widespread government lending had on the private debt market?
- What role will alternative lenders have to play as the definition of ‘the new normal’ continues to play out across the globe?
Moderator: Daniel Hendon, Partner, Proskauer
How LP behaviour is evolving in the private debt space
- The need for yield – how are investors meeting this challenge across the globe
- As private debt becomes increasingly multi-faceted, how are LPs setting up to approach this?
- Direct & co-investments – are we seeing a transformation in the way LPs are investing? Or is it still the minority that are adopting this approach?
- What are the priorities when it comes to ESG?
A defining year for private debt? Evolving ESG demands and priorities
- The evolving definition of sustainable assets amidst a transition from exclusion to engagement-based approach to ESG
- What is driving this increase in portfolio-level engagement and is it producing improved results and transparency?
- How is the EU taxonomy and wider regulation altering the ESG landscape in private debt?
- ESG-linked margin ratches, basis point models and other emerging formulas for future success in sustainability
PDI Research Presentation
Considerations for distressed debt post-2020
- Reflecting on last year’s distressed deployment – did managers get the timing right?
- What can distressed and dislocation funds still offer now that volatility has subsided?
- How have government support packages and other factors had an impact?
- Capital raising outlook for 2021 & beyond for distressed deals across the globe
Examining sector strengths and weaknesses amidst ongoing transition
- Why a high-quality, diverse portfolio is more important than ever as the economy remains in a state of transition
- What we can expect from different sectors as the unprecedented levels of government support are eased
- Restructurings, defaults and preserving of liquidity: are debt funds prepared to service at the portfolio level?
- What will the new normal look like and which sectors will be ripe for private debt investment?
Focusing the lens on small-ticket & SME lending
- Assessing institutional & private investor attitudes towards this area of the lending market
- Why does this remain a relatively under-exploited niche?
- How alternative lenders will shape the small-ticket landscape once government support for this area of the market dries up across the continent
- What kind of role can small-ticket & SME lending play in investors’ portfolios moving into the future?
Analysing investor allocation and fundraising figures: is safety still the priority?
- Why are LPs continuing to gravitate towards senior debt over mezzanine and subordinated?
- Why are ‘big brand’, mainly American GPs dominating market share more than ever before?
- Examining whether this means investors are missing a trick when it comes to sufficient diversification
- Will we see an uptick in fundraising as we move gradually from virtual back to real-world?
Embracing the ever-widening definition of infrastructure in the debt market
- How are the lines between infrastructure, real estate and other asset classes continuing to blur?
- Digital infrastructure, clean energy & more: should they be considered by investors and what kind of returns can they expect?
- What other newly defined areas of infrastructure are attracting attention?
- Does ‘traditional’ infrastructure still hold appeal?
- How these assets manifest themselves amidst your ESG portfolio targets
Right time, right place? Identifying niche & specialty finance opportunities
- Why the time is right and the market ripe for these types of investments
- Investor due diligence: measuring & mitigating risk in this space
- Which specialty strategies are particularly appealing and how accessible are they for investors?
- The diversification advantage: why these strategies can give investors the upper hand within a balanced portfolio
Distressed opportunities in real assets
- Retail space, offices & more – does real estate hold the key to investors looking for distressed debt opportunities post-pandemic?
- What other areas of niche real asset debt or asset-based lending can facilitate these investment vehicles?
- Why this is still the right time for opportunistic debt investments?
Afternoon Networking Break
Audience Roundtable Discussions
- Development of emerging markets in private debt
- Evaluating the appeal of the growing secondaries debt market
- The future of fundraising post-Covid
- Realising ESG targets in private debt
- The case for NAV-based lending in the post-Covid world
Close of Conference & Networking Drinks Reception
Day 2 - Wednesday 6th
Invite only LP networking breakfast
Facilitated by Dalit Nuttall, Principal, West Valley Capital
Chairperson’s Welcome Address
Tracking the key global developments for ESG in private credit
PDI Investment Committee: Global Opportunities
Our PDI Investment Committee takes a look at three investment case studies from leading GPs across the globe in this unique interactive format.
Morning Networking Break
Catering for sophistication – how managers are meeting the evolving demands of clients
- How are fund managers meeting the demands of investors that are increasingly searching for multi-strategy debt solutions?
- How can managers create a cycle-agnostic strategy and deliver consistent returns for their investor base?
- Exploiting gaps in a crowded market to give you and your investors the upper hand
- Meeting ever-increasing investor expectations when it comes to ESG & sustainable investing
Development in private debt integration for DC pensions
Co-investments, direct investments & more: how is the debt landscape changing for LPs?
- How is investor appetite for co-investment and direct opportunities developing? How has the pandemic affected this?
- Why fee reduction and maximising returns mean that co-investments remain a tantalising prospect for the future
- Resources, transaction deadlines, experience? Best practice for overcoming the main hurdles for these strategies
- What will this mean for the debt landscape of the future?
Networking Lunch & End of Conference
Day 3 - Thursday 7th
PDI Germany welcome address
Chairperson’s opening remarks
State of the market - private debt’s progress in the DACH region amidst an evolving global pandemic
Opening Panel Discussion
- How has portfolio performance fared over the past 18 months
- How have fund managers adjusted their processes and behaviours to benefit their investors?
- In Germany and the wider region, what impact have Government stimulus packages and other interventions had and how will that play out in the months to come?
- How does the altered landsape we now operate in provide opportunity for private credit funds?
Building & maintaining a diversified private debt program
- How is the private debt program within the investment portfolio growing?
- Mezzanine, unitranche, senior… which structures provide the best balance whilst achieving target returns?
- How are we incorporating co-investment and direct investments into our overall strategy?
- What role can private debt secondaries play within the portfolio?
Morning Networking Break
Mapping out your private debt roadmap in a drastically altered landscape
Investor Panel Discussion
- Building up a diversified portfolio in the post-Covid environment
- Manager selection amidst consolidation amongst leading GPs
- Multi-strategy considerations – blending corporate, real asset, sponsored, sponsorless, opportunistic & more
- The evolving importance of (remote) due diligence and investment discipline
Moderator: Julien Mayen, Senior Managing Director, Head of EMEA Business Development, EnTrust Global
Senior Managing Director, Head of EMEA Business Development - EnTrust GlobalRead bio
Managing Director, YIELCO InvestmentsRead bio
Global Head of Private Debt, Allianz Investment Management SERead bio
Private Debt Lead, Viridium GroupRead bio
Head of Manager Selection, Executive Director - Prime Capital AGRead bio
From exclusion to engagement – explaining ESG’s strides forward in private
- Moving from an asset exclusion model towards portfolio-engagement
- Significant impact of EU and wider regulation
- Importance of continually improving data and information flow
Incorporating multi-strategy into your sustainable debt investment portfolio
- Are ‘pure’ ESG vehicles finally being embraced in private debt?
- Implementing your ESG priorities – climate, CO2, diversity and more
- Infra debt and other real assets – what characteristics do these have that can strengthen your mandate?
- What role can emerging market opportunities play in an ESG friendly investment strategy?
Moderator: Jin-Hyuk Jang, International Counsel, Debevoise & Plimpton
Direct lending – a case of ‘more of the same’ heading towards 2022?
- How did direct lending fare in its first true ‘stress test’?
- Why is senior direct lending still the ‘go-to’ for European debt investors?
- How managers are benefitting from selective and disciplined approaches
- What changes will we see in the regional direct lending market going forwards?
Lunch & Networking
Real estate reinvigoration across Europe
- Opportunistic or core? What type of strategies are different European LPs demanding?
- With larger global funds now making their mark on the European real estate debt market, how does this impact investment-decision making for LPs?
- Life sciences, data centres and other emerging real estate debt opportunities
- Homeland bias? Why a preference for local real estate products persists
Infrastructure debt to the fore in Germany and beyond
- What characteristics have made this a more resilient asset class than most over the past 18 months?
- The flexibility provided by debt products over equity in the infrastructure arena
- Embracing digital infra financing opportunities as the infrastructure umbrella broadens
- Why the persistent low-rate interest environment will play into infra debt investors’ hands
Stepping out from the shadows? The continuing growth of private debt secondaries
- What new players are entering this niche corner of the market in 2021?
- Why increases in LP stake sales & GP-led transactions spell exciting times ahead for secondaries
- What’s the next significant step debt secondaries must take to continue it’s maturation?
- How investor attention and appetite has developed so far in 2021
Afternoon Networking Break
Debate with drinks: Specialty vs direct lending
- Assessing the merits of the various types of specialty lending
- Bringing specialty into the mainstream – are they becoming more accessible for European LPs?
- How returns and risk weigh up against corporate direct lending
Chairperson’s closing remarks for Day 1
Close of Day 1 & Networking Drinks Reception
Day 4 - Friday 8th
Invite-only LP Breakfast
Chairperson’s Day 2 Welcome Address
Where do opportunities outside of Germany lie?
- What geographical regions are most appealing to investors based in the DACH region?
- How have investors successfully been carrying out due diligence on these opportunities amidst travel restrictions
- Asia vs US – which of these flourishing debt markets are attracting the most attention?
- Factoring emerging markets into your debt portfolio considerations
PDI Investment Committee: DACH region & Northern Europe
Our PDI Investment Committee takes a look at three investment case studies from leading GPs across the DACH region & Northern Europe in this unique interactive format.
Moderator: Gabriella Kindert, Board Member, Mizuho
Morning Networking Break
The post-pandemic investor experience: digital, data, transparency & more
- Maintaining information flow & transparency through times of distress
- Solvency II and other reporting standards as LPs demand more regulatory-compliant data
- Sustainability – how ESG client reporting has developed amidst regulatory updates and increased portfolio-level engagement
- Balancing virtual & real-life – investor expectations moving forwards when it comes to fundraising, AGMs and the overall client relationship
Closing Networking Lunch: Themed Roundtables
Take this opportunity as the conference draws to a close, to choose the theme that means most to you and discuss with your peers over lunch
- Private debt vs traditional fixed income
- Overcoming challenges and reaping reward with sponsor-less lending
- How can investors enhance their portfolio monitoring capabilities and techniques?
- Distressed and special situations in corporate debt
- Growth of co-investment popularity in the DACH region
- The merits of late stage venture debt in 2021 and beyond
Close of conference
Head of Private Debt, Europe - Mercer
Founder & Managing Director, Neptune Maritime Leasing
Co-Founder and COO, creditshelf
Partner, Stepstone Group
Director, Lagrange Financial Advisory
Partner, Partners Group
Head of European Middle Market Private Debt within BlackRock Alternative Investors (BAI), BlackRock
Senior Director, Head of Private Credit, bfinance
Managing Director, Head of Private Debt - Golding Capital Partners
Founder, MD Partners
Founding and Managing Partner, ICA
Managing Director, Bundesverband Alternative Investments
Global Head of the Credit Investment Group, Cambridge Associates
Head of Germany, Tikehau Capital
Director-General, World Pensions
Chief Executive Officer, European Leveraged Finance Association
Managing Director, Co-Head Private Debt - YIELCO Investments AG
Co-Head of Private Credit, Campbell Lutyens
Director, MetLife Investment Management
Managing Director - Global Credit, Investment Management Corporation of Ontario (IMCO)
Investment Director, Perpetual Investors
Head of Fund Manager Research, PERE
International Counsel, Debevoise & Plimpton
Partner, Chairman, Certior Capital
Expert In Alternative Lending and Private Debt, Supervisory Board Member – Mizuho Europe
Head of Private Assets, Aviva UK Life
Managing Director, Head of Investor Relations & ESG, Brightwood Capital Advisors
Senior Managing Director, Head of EMEA Business Development - EnTrust Global
Managing Director, Portfolio Manager - EnTrust Global
Senior Investment Manager, MEAG Munich Re
Senior Analyst, SIGLO Capital Advisors
Principal, West Valley Capital
Managing Director, Partners Group
Co-founder and CEO, EstateGuru
Senior Portfolio Manager, Suva
Head of Manager Selection, Executive Director - Prime Capital AG
Principal, Stepstone Group
Head of Funds, Connection Capital
Global Head of Private Debt, Allianz Investment Management SE
Portfolio Manager, Partner - Capital Four
Senior Editor, Private Debt Investor
Private Debt Lead, Viridium Group
Executive Director, LGT Capital Partners
Managing Director, StepStone Group
Managing Director, Dean Wetton Advisory
Event preview brochure
View the event preview to discover the key discussion topics, find out who you could meet and see how you can quickly and easily connect with other private debt professionals.
Join Europe’s market-leading event and meet with 150+ active investors at this pivotal time for the private debt industry. Connect with institutional investors, fund managers, as well as the wider private debt community for four days of learning and networking.
Gain access to the community
Benefit from our expansive investor and fund manager community who will be in attendance throughout the week of the forum.
Meet in-person once again
Connect with your peers during roundtable discussions, networking breaks, panel Q&As, invite-only breakfasts and an evening drinks reception.
Build a valuable private debt network
Current attendees include BlackRock, Comvest Credit, Dai-ichi Life, Generali, MassMutual, MEAG, R+V Versicherung, PSP Investments, UNIQA, WGV and many more.