Spanning across two countries from the 5-8 October, PDI Debt Week Europe will bring the private debt community back together in 2021.
On 5-6 October in London and 7-8 October in Munich, over 150 institutional investors will gather along with specialist fund managers and advisors. Attendees will hear from 100 speakers across the week and have ample opportunity to connect with active investors in debt strategies from across Europe.
Book now for the full week and choose between attending both forums in-person or one in-person and one virtually. Join your peers at the Capital Structure Forum and the Germany Forum for an unmissable week of content and networking for the private debt market.
Event content with value
Learn from leading investors and fund managers and understand portfolio construction, get practical guidance for ESG targets, get to grips with opportunistic credit, and hear investor insights.
Build your private debt network
Connect in-person during roundtable discussions, networking breaks, panel Q&As, invite-only breakfasts and an evening drinks reception. Build lasting relationships and compare best practices with your peers.
Meet with institutional investors
Network with active investors in debt strategies in both London and Munich. Benefit from our expansive European investor community who will be in attendance throughout the week.
Keynote investor interview with IMCO in London
Hear from Jennifer Hartviksen, Managing Director of Global Credit, at our London forum. Gain an understanding of IMCO’s recent activity and future strategy in the private credit market.
Hear from Suva, a leading insurance fund in the DACH region
Gain insight from Peter Pukl, Senior Portfolio Manager, at our Munich forum. Get insight into how Suva are in the process of successfully building a diversified debt programme.
Connect with active investors in debt strategies
Head of CRE Debt Funds, Acofi
The PDI Capital Structure Forum is a powerful networking event and provided the latest industry insights.
Director, Alter Domus
It is the quality and number of private debt industry experts that make the event so beneficial.
Founder & Partner, Resilience Partners
Great opportunity to meet specialist private funds and seasoned investors in one setting.
Day 1 - Tuesday 5th
PDI Capital Structure Welcome Address
Chairperson’s Opening Remarks
Opening Keynote Investor Interview: Building an investment philosophy: private credit’s role in a pension portfolio
Keynote Panel Discussion
- Building out a credit function – balancing public and private markets and assessing the full credit spectrum
- IMCO’s activity, manager selection and decision-making in private credit markets and deployment over the last year
- Finding the right balance between opportunistic strategies and reliable return strategies
- An LP perspective on global credit market trends: manager consolidation, regional developments and more
Moderator: Andy Thomson, Senior Editor, Private Debt Investor
18 months later: performance and possibilities in an era of transition
Keynote Panel Discussion
- How has portfolio performance fared since the beginning of the pandemic? Has it surpassed initial expectations?
- Which strategies have reigned supreme, and why?
- Mitigating factors: what impacts have bank retreatment and widespread government lending had on the private debt market?
- What role will alternative lenders have to play as the definition of ‘the new normal’ continues to play out across the globe?
Moderator: Daniel Hendon, Partner, Proskauer
Partner, ProskauerRead bio
Head of European Middle Market Private Debt within BlackRock Alternative Investors (BAI), BlackRockRead bio
Managing Partner – Private Debt, EurazeoRead bio
Head of Origination, Direct Lending, AlcentraRead bio
Co-Head of Global Private Finance, BaringsRead bio
How LP behaviour is evolving in the private debt space
- The need for yield – how are investors meeting this challenge across the globe
- As private debt becomes increasingly multi-faceted, how are LPs setting up to approach this?
- Direct & co-investments – are we seeing a transformation in the way LPs are investing? Or is it still the minority that are adopting this approach?
- What are the priorities when it comes to ESG?
Moderator: Trevor Castledine, Senior Director, Head of Private Credit, bfinance
Head of Private Markets, LGPS Central LimitedRead bio
Head of Private Debt, Europe - MercerRead bio
Head of Private Assets, Aviva UK LifeRead bio
Co-Head of Private Credit, Campbell LutyensRead bio
Director, Head of Private Credit, RedingtonRead bio
A defining year for private debt? Evolving ESG demands and priorities
- The evolving definition of sustainable assets amidst a transition from exclusion to engagement-based approach to ESG
- What is driving this increase in portfolio-level engagement and is it producing improved results and transparency?
- How is the EU taxonomy and wider regulation altering the ESG landscape in private debt?
- ESG-linked margin ratches, basis point models and other emerging formulas for future success in sustainability
Moderator: Gabriella Kindert, Board Member, Mizuho
Partner, Partners GroupRead bio
Head of European Research, Covenant ReviewRead bio
Director, MetLife Investment ManagementRead bio
Investment Director, Permira Debt ManagersRead bio
PDI Research Presentation
Considerations for distressed debt post-2020
- Reflecting on last year’s distressed deployment – did managers get the timing right?
- What can distressed and dislocation funds still offer now that volatility has subsided?
- How have government support packages and other factors had an impact?
- Capital raising outlook for 2021 & beyond for distressed deals across the globe
Moderator: Peter Plaut, Executive Director, Wimmer Family Office
Examining sector strengths and weaknesses amidst ongoing transition
- Why a high-quality, diverse portfolio is more important than ever as the economy remains in a state of transition
- What we can expect from different sectors as the unprecedented levels of government support are eased
- Restructurings, defaults and preserving of liquidity: are debt funds prepared to service at the portfolio level?
- What will the new normal look like and which sectors will be ripe for private debt investment?
Global Head of the Credit Investment Group, Cambridge AssociatesRead bio
Managing Director and Head of Private Credit, Northleaf Capital PartnersRead bio
Managing Director, StepStone GroupRead bio
Focusing the lens on small-ticket & SME lending
- Assessing institutional & private investor attitudes towards this area of the lending market
- Why does this remain a relatively under-exploited niche?
- How alternative lenders will shape the small-ticket landscape once government support for this area of the market dries up across the continent
- What kind of role can small-ticket & SME lending play in investors’ portfolios moving into the future?
Moderator: John Bakie, News Editor, Private Debt Investor
Analysing investor allocation and fundraising figures: is safety still the priority?
- Why are LPs continuing to gravitate towards senior debt over mezzanine and subordinated?
- Why are ‘big brand’, mainly American GPs dominating market share more than ever before?
- Examining whether this means investors are missing a trick when it comes to sufficient diversification
- Will we see an uptick in fundraising as we move gradually from virtual back to real-world?
Moderator: Johnnie Barnett, Partner, The New Amsterdam Group
Embracing the ever-widening definition of infrastructure in the debt market
- How are the lines between infrastructure, real estate and other asset classes continuing to blur?
- Digital infrastructure, clean energy & more: should they be considered by investors and what kind of returns can they expect?
- What other newly defined areas of infrastructure are attracting attention?
- Does ‘traditional’ infrastructure still hold appeal?
- How these assets manifest themselves amidst your ESG portfolio targets
Moderator: Zak Bentley, Senior Reporter, Infrastructure Investor
Senior Reporter, Infrastructure InvestorRead bio
Marguerite Polge De Combret
Principal, National Lead of M&A Strategy Execution and Solution Development, Macquarie CapitalRead bio
Director-General, World Pensions CouncilRead bio
Investment Manager, Scottish WidowsRead bio
Head of Junior Debt, Infrastructure, Schroders Capital Organisation, Schroders CapitalRead bio
Right time, right place? Identifying niche & specialty finance opportunities
- Why the time is right and the market ripe for these types of investments
- Investor due diligence: measuring & mitigating risk in this space
- Which specialty strategies are particularly appealing and how accessible are they for investors?
- The diversification advantage: why these strategies can give investors the upper hand within a balanced portfolio
Moderator: Ian Milton, Founder, Mercia Capital Partners
Distressed opportunities in real assets
- Retail space, offices & more – does real estate hold the key to investors looking for distressed debt opportunities post-pandemic?
- What other areas of niche real asset debt or asset-based lending can facilitate these investment vehicles?
- Why this is still the right time for opportunistic debt investments?
Moderator: Sophie Littler, Associate Director, Fundraising & Investor Relations, LendInvest
Afternoon Networking Break
Audience Roundtable Discussions
- Development of emerging markets in private debt
- Evaluating the appeal of the growing secondaries debt market – facilitated by Alberto Badino, Partner, Elm Capital
- The future of fundraising post-Covid facilitated by Johnnie Barnett, Partner, The New Amsterdam Group
- Realising ESG targets in private debt facilitated by Mark Wilton, Managing Director, Barings
- The case for NAV-based lending in the post-Covid world
- Secondaries in private debt facilitated by Toni Vainio, Partner, Pantheon Ventures
Close of Conference & Networking Drinks Reception
Day 2 - Wednesday 6th
Invite only LP networking breakfast
Facilitated by Dalit Nuttall, Principal, West Valley Capital
Chairperson’s Welcome Address
Tracking the key global developments for ESG in private credit
PDI Investment Committee: Global Opportunities
Our PDI Investment Committee takes a look at three investment case studies from leading GPs across the globe in this unique interactive format.
Moderator: Gabriella Kindert, Board Member, Mizuho
Morning Networking Break
Catering for sophistication – how managers are meeting the evolving demands of clients
- How are fund managers meeting the demands of investors that are increasingly searching for multi-strategy debt solutions?
- How can managers create a cycle-agnostic strategy and deliver consistent returns for their investor base?
- Exploiting gaps in a crowded market to give you and your investors the upper hand
- Meeting ever-increasing investor expectations when it comes to ESG & sustainable investing
Moderator: Alberto Badino, Partner, Elm Capital
Development in private debt integration for DC pensions
Co-investments, direct investments & more: how is the debt landscape changing for LPs?
- How is investor appetite for co-investment and direct opportunities developing? How has the pandemic affected this?
- Why fee reduction and maximising returns mean that co-investments remain a tantalising prospect for the future
- Resources, transaction deadlines, experience? Best practice for overcoming the main hurdles for these strategies
- What will this mean for the debt landscape of the future?
Moderator: Dalit Nuttall, Principal, West Valley Capital
Networking Lunch & End of Conference
Day 3 - Thursday 7th
PDI Germany welcome address
Chairperson’s opening remarks
State of the market - private debt’s progress in the DACH region amidst an evolving global pandemic
Opening Panel Discussion
- How has portfolio performance fared over the past 18 months
- How have fund managers adjusted their processes and behaviours to benefit their investors?
- In Germany and the wider region, what impact have Government stimulus packages and other interventions had and how will that play out in the months to come?
- How does the altered landscape we now operate in provide opportunity for private credit funds?
Moderator: Matthias Kirchgaessner, Managing Partner, PLEXUS Research GmbH
Building & maintaining a diversified private debt program
- How is the private debt program within the investment portfolio growing?
- Mezzanine, unitranche, senior… which structures provide the best balance whilst achieving target returns?
- How are we incorporating co-investment and direct investments into our overall strategy?
- What role can private debt secondaries play within the portfolio?
Morning Networking Break
Mapping out your private debt roadmap in a drastically altered landscape
Investor Panel Discussion
- Building up a diversified portfolio in the post-Covid environment
- Manager selection amidst consolidation amongst leading GPs
- Multi-strategy considerations – blending corporate, real asset, sponsored, sponsorless, opportunistic & more
- The evolving importance of (remote) due diligence and investment discipline
Moderator: Julien Mayen, Senior Managing Director, Head of EMEA Business Development, EnTrust Global
Senior Managing Director, Head of EMEA Business Development - EnTrust GlobalRead bio
Managing Director, YIELCO InvestmentsRead bio
Global Head of Private Debt, Allianz Investment Management SERead bio
Private Debt Lead, Viridium GroupRead bio
Head of Manager Selection, Executive Director - Prime Capital AGRead bio
Incorporating multi-strategy into your sustainable debt investment portfolio
- Are ‘pure’ ESG vehicles finally being embraced in private debt?
- Implementing your ESG priorities – climate, CO2, diversity and more
- Infra debt and other real assets – what characteristics do these have that can strengthen your mandate?
- What role can emerging market opportunities play in an ESG friendly investment strategy?
Moderator: Jin-Hyuk Jang, International Counsel, Debevoise & Plimpton
Direct lending – a case of ‘more of the same’ heading towards 2022?
- How did direct lending fare in its first true ‘stress test’?
- Why is senior direct lending still the ‘go-to’ for European debt investors?
- How managers are benefitting from selective and disciplined approaches
- What changes will we see in the regional direct lending market going forwards?
Moderator: Abhik Das, Managing Director, Head of Private Debt, Golding Capital Partners
Managing Director, Head of Private Debt - Golding Capital PartnersRead bio
Dominik P. Felsmann
Head of Germany, Tikehau CapitalRead bio
Managing Director, Partners GroupRead bio
Principal, Park Square CapitalRead bio
Senior Private Debt Specialist, LGT Capital PartnersRead bio
Lunch & Networking
Infrastructure debt to the fore in Germany and beyond
- What characteristics have made this a more resilient asset class than most over the past 18 months?
- The flexibility provided by debt products over equity in the infrastructure arena
- Embracing digital infra financing opportunities as the infrastructure umbrella broadens
- Why the persistent low-rate interest environment will play into infra debt investors’ hands
Moderator: Hans-Peter Dohr, Senior Managing Partner, Institutional Capital Associates
Real estate reinvigoration across Europe
- Opportunistic or core? What type of strategies are different European LPs demanding?
- With larger global funds now making their mark on the European real estate debt market, how does this impact investment-decision making for LPs?
- Life sciences, data centres and other emerging real estate debt opportunities
- Homeland bias? Why a preference for local real estate products persists
Moderator: Brian Kane, Director, Capital Markets & Origination, CrossLend
Stepping out from the shadows? The continuing growth of private debt secondaries
- What new players are entering this niche corner of the market in 2021?
- Why increases in LP stake sales & GP-led transactions spell exciting times ahead for secondaries
- What’s the next significant step debt secondaries must take to continue it’s maturation?
- How investor attention and appetite has developed so far in 2021
Moderator: Alexander Bode, Managing Partner, BB Alternatives
Afternoon Networking Break
Debate with drinks: Specialty vs direct lending
- Assessing the merits of the various types of specialty lending
- Bringing specialty into the mainstream – are they becoming more accessible for European LPs?
- How returns and risk weigh up against corporate direct lending
Moderator: Stephen McKenna, Group Head of Alternative Assets & ESG, LGL Group
Group Head of Alternative Assets and ESG, LGLRead bio
Investment Director, Perpetual InvestorsRead bio
Senior Managing Director, Portfolio Manager, EnTrust GlobalRead bio
Chairperson’s closing remarks for Day 1
Close of Day 1 & Networking Drinks Reception
Day 4 - Friday 8th
Invite-only LP Breakfast
Facilitated by Gabriella Kindert, Board Member, Mizuho
Chairperson’s Day 2 Welcome Address & opening presentation: Loan fund regulation in the EU – what to expect from AIFMD and ELTIF review
Where do opportunities outside of Germany lie?
- What geographical regions are most appealing to investors based in the DACH region?
- How have investors successfully been carrying out due diligence on these opportunities amidst travel restrictions
- Asia vs US – which of these flourishing debt markets are attracting the most attention?
- Factoring emerging markets into your debt portfolio considerations
Moderator: Johan Hultner, Managing Partner, Arcos Capital
Founder & Managing Partner, Arcos CapitalRead bio
Senior Portfolio Manager, BlueBay Asset Management LLPRead bio
Managing Director, Crescent Credit Europe LLPRead bio
PDI Investment Committee: DACH region & Northern Europe
Our PDI Investment Committee takes a look at three investment case studies from leading GPs across the DACH region & Northern Europe in this unique interactive format.
Co-Moderators: Gabriella Kindert, Board Member, Mizuho and Matthias Kirchgaessner, Managing Partner, PLEXUS Research GmbH
Co-Founder and COO, creditshelfRead bio
Managing Partner, Bright CapitalRead bio
Morning Networking Break
Investor interview: Delivering PE-like returns - which sectors can afford high cost of capital in 2021?
The post-pandemic investor experience: digital, data, transparency & more
- Maintaining information flow & transparency through times of distress
- Solvency II and other reporting standards as LPs demand more regulatory-compliant data
- Sustainability – how ESG client reporting has developed amidst regulatory updates and increased portfolio-level engagement
- Balancing virtual & real-life – investor expectations moving forwards when it comes to fundraising, AGMs and the overall client relationship
Closing Networking Lunch: Themed Roundtables
Take this opportunity as the conference draws to a close, to choose the theme that means most to you and discuss with your peers over lunch
- Private debt vs traditional fixed income
- Overcoming challenges and reaping reward with sponsor-less lending
- How can investors enhance their portfolio monitoring capabilities and techniques?
- Distressed and special situations in corporate debt
- Growth of co-investment popularity in the DACH region
- Exploring opportunities in southern Europe facilitated by Andrea Pescatori, CEO, VER Capital
Close of conference
Head of Private Debt, Europe - Mercer
Founder & Managing Director, Neptune Maritime Leasing
Partner, Elm Capital
News Editor, Private Debt Investor
Partner & Head of EMEA, First Avenue Partners
Co-Founder and COO, creditshelf
Senior Advisor, Private Debt
Director, The New Amsterdam Group
Partner, Stepstone Group
Director, Lagrange Financial Advisory
CEO & Managing Partner, Generali Global Infrastructure
Senior Reporter, Infrastructure Investor
Managing Partner, BB Alternative Partners
Partner, Partners Group
Head of Private Markets, LGPS Central Limited
Head of European Middle Market Private Debt within BlackRock Alternative Investors (BAI), BlackRock
Managing Partner, Alantra
Senior Director, Head of Private Credit, bfinance
Investment Director, Moonfare
Principal, National Lead of M&A Strategy Execution and Solution Development, Macquarie Capital
Managing Director, Head of Private Debt - Golding Capital Partners
Managing Principal, Apolis S.A.M.
Founder, MD Partners
Founding and Managing Partner, ICA - Institutional Capital Associates
Managing Director, Bundesverband Alternative Investments
Managing Director – Head of Lending, Europe, Starwood Capital Europe Advisers LLP
Global Head of the Credit Investment Group, Cambridge Associates
Head of Germany, Tikehau Capital
Client Portfolio Manager, NN Investment Partners
Director-General, World Pensions Council
Senior Portfolio Manager, BlueBay Asset Management LLP
Chief Executive Officer, European Leveraged Finance Association
Managing Director and CIO, Apolis S.A.M.
Managing Director, Co-Head Private Debt - YIELCO Investments AG
Head of European Research, Covenant Review
CIO and Founder, Pearlstone Alternative
Co-Head of Private Credit, Campbell Lutyens
Director, MetLife Investment Management
Managing Director - Global Credit, Investment Management Corporation of Ontario (IMCO)
Investment Director, Permira Debt Managers
Founder & Managing Partner, Arcos Capital
Head of Fund Manager Research, PEI
Investment Director, Perpetual Investors
International Counsel, Debevoise & Plimpton
Partner, Chairman, Certior Capital
Investment Manager, Scottish Widows
Director of Capital Markets & Originations: UK, Ireland & Nordics, CrossLend
Expert In Alternative Lending and Private Debt, Supervisory Board Member – Mizuho Europe
Managing Partner, PLEXUS Investments
Partner, Global Growth Capital
Managing Partner – Private Debt, Eurazeo
Associate Director, LendInvest
Head of Business Development DACH, AssetMetrix
Managing Partner, Bright Capital
Head of Private Assets, Aviva UK Life
Managing Director, Head of Investor Relations & ESG, Brightwood Capital Advisors
Senior Managing Director, Head of EMEA Business Development - EnTrust Global
Group Head of Alternative Assets and ESG, LGL
Head of Alternative Fixed Income, AEGON Asset Management
Vice President, Blackstone
Founder, Mercia Capital Partners
Managing Director, Evercore
Senior Managing Director, Portfolio Manager - EnTrust Global
Senior Investment Manager, MEAG Munich Re
Principal, West Valley Capital
Founder & Partner, Resilience Partner
Managing Director, Partners Group
Co-founder and CEO, EstateGuru
Executive Director, Wimmer Financial
Senior Portfolio Manager, Suva
Head of Manager Selection, Executive Director - Prime Capital AG
President and Co-Founder , MGG Investment Group
Principal, Stepstone Group
Head of Private Debt Research and Execution, BlackRock
Head of Funds, Connection Capital
Managing Director and Head of Private Credit, Northleaf Capital Partners
Global Head of Private Debt, Allianz Investment Management SE
Portfolio Manager, Partner - Capital Four
Head of Junior Debt, Infrastructure, Schroders Capital Organisation, Schroders Capital
Head of Origination, Direct Lending, Alcentra
Director, Private Credit - Alternative Credit Council
Senior Executive Director, European Direct Lending, Alcentra
Principal, Park Square Capital
Senior Editor, Private Debt Investor
Private Debt Lead, Viridium Group
Managing Director, Head of European Private Debt
Principal, Pantheon Ventures
Lead Portfolio Manager
Executive Director, LGT Capital Partners
Managing Director, Crescent Credit Europe LLP
Managing Director, StepStone Group
Director, Head of Private Credit, Redington
Managing Director, Dean Wetton Advisory
Co-Head of Global Private Finance, Barings
Managing Director, Barings
Managing Director – Private Debt, Eurazeo
Event preview brochure
View the event preview to discover the key discussion topics, find out who you could meet and see how you can quickly and easily connect with other private debt professionals.
Join Europe’s market-leading event and meet with 150+ active investors at this pivotal time for the private debt industry. Connect with institutional investors, fund managers, as well as the wider private debt community for four days of learning and networking.
Gain access to the community
Benefit from our expansive investor and fund manager community who will be in attendance throughout the week of the forum.
Meet in-person once again
Connect with your peers during roundtable discussions, networking breaks, panel Q&As, invite-only breakfasts and an evening drinks reception.
Build a valuable private debt network
Current attendees include BlackRock, Comvest Credit, Dai-ichi Life, Generali, MassMutual, MEAG, R+V Versicherung, PSP Investments, UNIQA, WGV and many more.
Connect with our investor community
To help keep you and our colleagues safe, we have embraced the following principles to ensure the smooth running of our event portfolio, globally.
Planning and risk assessment
The Debt Week Europe Forum has a detailed plan and risk assessment in light of local government and health authority frameworks, now specific to the Covid pandemic. Our staff are working to event industry protocols to minimise and mitigate risk.
Fully vaccinated – You are required to show an official vaccine certificate and a negative lateral flow/rapid antigen test which must be done within 24 hours of arrival at the event venue.
Not fully vaccinated – You are required to show evidence of a negative lateral flow/antigen test each day of the event. There will be a daily testing facility on-site for attendees who are not fully vaccinated.
PEI is working with our venue partners to ensure the highest standards of hygiene and cleanliness. This includes a deep clean pre-event and continuous sanitisation during the event, with a focus on high-contact areas such as lifts, staircases, door handles, restrooms and food and beverage delivery points.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
Attendees and staff at all PEI events may be required to use items of PPE in accordance with local government and health authority regulations. This could include wearing a face covering, the use of gloves and/or face screens in certain parts of the venue.
Where possible PEI will encourage attendees to minimise their contacts. This includes the event registration process and also contact between attendees. PEI encourages all attendees to avoid close social contact such as hand-shakes and to find digital alternatives to exchanging details rather than business cards.
Attendee numbers and density
PEI will assess and manage in line with local government and health authority mandates the number of delegates in the event space and the flow of attendee traffic in and out of plenary and break-out rooms and around exhibition rooms and other meeting spaces.
In tandem with venue measures, PEI encourages attendees to take full advantage of hand sanitisation stations around the venue.
Track and trace
We will work with local authorities as required to track, trace and contact attendees in line with the applicable privacy legislation.
Qualified first-aid staff will be ready to assist anyone falling ill for whatever reason. In the event of any attendee suffering Covid-related symptoms, the PEI team will follow local health guidance in ensuring the safety of all participants.