Join the Responsible Investor Asia conference to gain valuable insight into how leading organisations are implementing ESG and responsible investment strategies that deliver value and sustainable outcomes.
Debate with sustainably focused investors on current trends that are shaping the regional landscape, including achieving net-zero ambitions, climate risk scenario analysis, developments in the local and regional regulatory landscape, the evolution of the carbon trading market, the growth of the sustainable banking sector, the rising cost of palm oil and implication for deforestation, and much more.
The event is a must-attend for ESG, sustainable finance and responsible investment professionals in Asia.
Valuable insight into the sustainable finance industry
Hear from industry leaders on topics and trends that are shaping the investment landscape during high-level discussions critical to advancing Asia’s future economy.
Expand your professional network
Connect with stakeholders in all aspects of the ESG spectrum. From banks, pension funds, insurers, NGOs, think tanks, and financial regulators. Build your network to advance your professional horizons.
Asian-focused content with a global perspective
With a well-established network of sustainable finance practitioners, Responsible Investor will bring together both local and international attendees to discuss how to progress Asian business in a sustainability-conscious world.
2021 attendees included:
Join leading Asian asset owners & industry professionals
- Implementing net-zero and decarbonisation: how do regional regulators align their environmental requirements with financial institutions in their net-zero ambitions?
- Sustainability disclosure outlook: understand the evolution of sustainable finance disclosure regulations in Asia, get a comparison to other key jurisdictions globally, and digest what the implications are for global investors’ ESG disclosure
- Climate physical risk analysis and risk mitigation: how well do investors understand physical risk in Asia and what do they do about it?
- Tackling green and sustainability washing: how do responsible investors build in-house knowledge and implement safeguards to stamp out greenwashing?
- Development and impact investing: get an overview of impact funds deploying capital in Asia
- The growth of the sustainable banking sector: how are banks delivering on their sustainability pledges?
- Palm oil and deforestation: with the price of palm oil increasing due to the Ukraine crisis, how can responsible investors ensure this doesn’t endanger Asia’s natural capital and forests?
- Get up to speed on leading responsible investment practices: how are leaders integrating ESG practices into their portfolio construction and management?
RI Asia 2022 - Day 1 - Tuesday 22nd
Welcome remarks from Responsible Investor
To what extent should the Asian sustainability agenda be different to Western priorities?
- Does ESG have an image problem in APAC?
- Service-based economies are naturally going to have a lower carbon footprint than those heavily involved in manufacturing/raw material extraction, how does this reality in Asia impact the practicality of a transition to net zero?
- Which sustainability KPI’s should be prioritised for disclosure?
- Which sustainability metrics will be penalised by investors?
- What are the regional differences in sustainability agendas and how do they translate into what investors are doing?
Balancing a Just Transition and net-zero achievement in Asia
- How do investor balance decarbonisation efforts with energy security and the social imperative for economic development?
- How are the very painful short-term effects of rapid decarbonisation to be navigated and weathered?
- Is the just transition concept being applied enough in emerging markets?
- What social risks does rapid decarbonisation present to Asian economies?
- Climate impact won’t be achieved through business as usual, so what needs to change?
- What partnerships and new models are needed to create scalable climate impact?
- How do regional regulators align their environmental requirements with financial institutions in their net-zero ambitions?
Coffee & networking
Asia’s sustainable finance regulatory outlook
- Understand the ongoing evolution of sustainable finance regulations in key Asian markets
- What is the outlook for approaches being taken by Asia’s regulator, in terms of mandatory vs soft-touch, principle-based disclosure requirements?
- Is there a second mover advantage for Asia’s regulators?
- What is the regulatory agenda for the next 2-3 years?
- How are investors reconciling local regulations and regional, such as ASEAN, disclosure frameworks?
- To what extent do emerging Asian regulations align and differ with other jurisdictions such as the EU taxonomy and the SEC’s upcoming rules?
- EU is often regarded as the leader when it comes to sustainable finance regulatory frameworks, how far is Asia as compared to the EU?
- How long before Asian regulators make climate disclosures mandatory?
- Given the global scope of investors, will there be a natural converge in disclosure standards over time?
ISSB, TCFD and beyond: update on voluntary global disclosure frameworks standardisation
• How will ESG data & disclosure practices develop in the coming decade?
• How have disclosure initiatives such as the International Sustainability Standards Board (ISSB) progressed?
• To what extent are Asian institutions using voluntary standards to guide their sustainability reporting?
• Will voluntary standards be adopted by regulatory bodies in key Asian markets?
• To what extent should investors rely on regulations and external standards to guide their data gathering, engagement and disclosure?
Navigating the impact and opportunity of a green transition in Asia
- Do profitability and sustainability always go hand in hand?
- Are investors willing to accept lower short term returns in exchange for long term resilience?
- Will the green transition put pressure on the bottom line? What about compliance with global social and human rights standards?
- What are the opportunities available to Asian companies?
The growth of sustainable banking
- How are banks delivering on their sustainability pledges?
- What is the state of current sustainable banking practices, where is there room for innovation?
- What are the main challenges faced by lenders in creating credible ESG-orientated incentives to their borrowers in sustainability-linked loans?
Climate scenario analysis and managing physical risk
- SE Asia is particularly exposed to sea level rises, severe typhoons, tsunamis and other natural disasters, how are financial institutions capturing climate risks to the economy and financial system?
- How sophisticated and accurate are climate models as it stands?
- How can climate analysis be translated into actionable practices for investment decision making and mitigation?
- Considering other risks including physical risk and interaction between physical and transition risks
The role of finance in achieving net zero
- What are some of the more innovative models being applied in climate-orientated and adaptation finance?
- What is the opportunity for investors in climate finance in Asia?
- Brown-to-green transition finance: what financial products can incentivise development of a more renewable energy mix in the region?
- To what extent are sustainability-linked loans, green bonds and blended finance solutions able to move the needle on net zero achievement?
- What is the future role of ‘catalytic’ subsidised capital in blended financing structures?
Going deeper: Using ESG data to enhance sustainable outcomes and investment strategy
- Comparing ESG data practices for public and private companies
- How can investors and bankers analyse an ESG score and dig deeper into what it means for a company?
- How can investors and companies avoid drowning in ESG data and purposeless data gathering?
- How do investors determine what is material ESG information and how should it be used?
- What data is available to properly assess deforestation, human rights and other crucial ESG risks?
- How can investors make the most of new sources of information e.g. satellite data, artificial intelligence, big data?
The accuracy of ESG ratings in the Asian context
- Do ESG ratings penalise Asian companies unfairly?
- Should providers provide more transparency on ESG rating methodologies?
- Should metrics that feed Asian companies ratings be different to other regions to reflect different priorities?
RI Asia 2022 - Day 2 - Wednesday 23rd
Deep Dive workshop: how to achieve a net zero goal
|In this workshop for asset owners and fund managers, we’ll look to explore engagement best practices on climate and more broadly investment stewardship when it comes to data & disclosures, active ownership and long-term investment horizons in transitioning portfolios to a net zero goal. The workshop will explore questions such as:
· What are the obstacles to get more asset owners in this region to visibly commit and take action on responsible stewardship and sustainable investment?
· How to evaluate climate impacts of portfolios currently?
· How to evaluate the outcomes of stewardship activities?
· Should Asian institutions mandatorily disclose portfolio carbon footprint?
· Should investors establish, or restrict proxy advisers, to enable institutions to cast votes more rationally?
· What information do asset owners expect in order to avoid investing in a green-washed fund?
Development & impact: The growth of impact investing in Asia
- Impact investing has exploded in private equity, but what does it look like in a public equities context?
- What is the difference between ESG and Impact?
- Do impact investments necessarily result in returns that are concessionary and lower relative to non-impact investments?
- What are the best examples of impact investors deploying capital in Asia?
- What is the appetite of regional asset owners to allocate to impact products?
Protecting labour rights in the corporate supply chain
- How can financial institutions get a handle on and map their exposure to human rights abuses such as child and forced labour, and modern-day slavery?
- What policies and practices are leading organisations implementing to protect human rights within their sphere of business influence?
- What can be learnt from efforts to address human right issues in corporate supply chains?
The question of palm oil and deforestation
- With the price of palm oil increasing due to the Ukraine war, how can responsible investors ensure this doesn’t endanger Asia’s forests?
- How successful have corporate and investors efforts fared in protecting the region’s forests?
- What are the innovations in corporate efforts to halt deforestation?
- Can forests become natural capital assets that are investable?
- To what extent can investors engage with buyers to create greater demand for RSPO-certified palm oil?
Evolution of the Asian carbon trading market
- How are efforts to set up a voluntary carbon market coming along?
- What are the different types of carbon credits available?
- How can, or should, carbon credits be used as part of net zero strategy?
- What is the opportunity in Asia for high-quality carbon credits?
Future of biodiversity in investment portfolios - risks and opportunities
- What biodiversity investment products focused on ASAC are there on the market?
- With COP 15 coming up, what role can investors play in addressing biodiversity loss in Asia?
- What are the risks associated with biodiversity loss?
- How can investors manage biodiversity risk in the portfolio?
- What lessons learned from climate change engagement that can be applied to biodiversity protection?
- What types of investments can be natural capital assets?
- What is the return/risk profile of natural capital assets, and how scalable are these strategies?