The Responsible Investment Forum returns for its sixth year to bring together the most sophisticated institutional investors, fund managers, consultants and highly recognized associations to discuss why, when, and how your firm should be implementing an effective ESG strategy.
ESG issues are at the heart of all PEI’s editorial coverage, with our reporters consistently following and scrutinizing the ways in which managers in the US are adopting responsible investment practices and what LPs are looking for as they consider investing in private equity. PEI, partnering with the Principles for Responsible Investment (PRI), continues to prove itself as a thought-leader in this area, and is at the forefront of covering the growth of ESG in North American private equity.
- LP expectations on ESG
- Impact Investing for the future
- Regulatory considerations
- Identifying a “greenwasher”
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion
- The infrastructure market
- Tax planning
- Climate solutions
Understand how LPs are benchmarking corporate governance and how it impacts the manager selection process.
Hear from corporate
Learn how to manage and monitor an ESG policy that aligns with your primary responsibility of delivering returns to investors.
Get involved in a community dedicated to creating more sustainable value, brought together over the past seven years by PEI and UN PRI.
Opening keynote speaker:
Global Head of ESG
“I really enjoyed the conference. It was very encouraging to hear how GP’s are integrating ESG not only in their portfolios but in their firms as we…
“Global warming, air pollution, and energy insecurity are three of the greatest problems facing humanity. The Responsible Investment Forum is a powerful g…
“It’s great to see PEI bring together a diverse and growing group of investment professionals interested and active in responsible and sustainable investment. T…
“I really enjoyed the conference. It was very encouraging to hear how GP’s are integrating ESG not only in their portfolios but in their firms as well. It was great to learn about their best practices as well as lessons learned. The breakout sessions and panels were very informative. The conference provided good networking opportunities as well.”
“Global warming, air pollution, and energy insecurity are three of the greatest problems facing humanity. The Responsible Investment Forum is a powerful global platform for like minded ESG investors to transition towards environmentally sustainable economies and societies for all”
“It’s great to see PEI bring together a diverse and growing group of investment professionals interested and active in responsible and sustainable investment. The format of 1:1 interactions, break out and plenary sessions was useful to share general market perspectives and engage in detail to share experience and deepen understanding of the many and varied ESG issues facing our industry today”
Day 1 - Wednesday 2nd
Registration and welcome breakfast
Erin Wolfe, Senior Conference Producer, PEI Media
Chairman’s opening remarks
Join our Responsible Investment Co-Host’s, The Principles for Responsible Investment as they kick off the day with an overview of the current ESG themes, progress, and future developments in the ESG & PE space.
Peter Dunbar, Private Equity Senior Specialist, PRI
LP fireside perspective
Building a better ESG strategy
- Investors on a range of questions relating to their expectations from managers on ESG frameworks, data, culture, DEI, and other matters.
- Top questions during fundraising such as understanding a firm’s ability to identify and manage material ESG-related risk and use ESG factors to create value.
Michael Cappucci, Senior Vice President, Compliance and Sustainable Investing, Harvard Management Company
Michael Kashani, Head of ESG Credit, Apollo Global Management
Kristina Matthews, Managing Director, Head of Investor Relations & ESG, Brightwood Capital Advisors
Andrew Siwo, Director of Sustainable Investments and Climate Solutions, New York State Common Retirement Fund
Managing Director - Compliance and Sustainable Investing, Harvard Management CompanyRead bio
Head of ESG Credit, Apollo Global ManagementRead bio
Managing Director, Head of Investor Relations & ESG, Brightwood Capital AdvisorsRead bio
Director of Sustainable Investments and Climate Solutions, New York State Common Retirement FundRead bio
SASB standards update
Impact investing for the future
- The shift in millennial focus on Impact initiatives and why this sector is becoming increasingly in demand
- How impact investments are driving returns
- Companies mitigate risks to their finances to build sustainable portfolios.
Emanuel Citron, Managing Partner, Volery Capital Partners
Nancy Pfund, Founder and Managing Partner, DBL Partners
Jackie Rantanen, Managing Director, Hamilton Lane
Jennifer Signori, Managing Director, Private Equity, ESG and Impact Investing, Neuberger Berman
Understanding the pendulum: regulation for ESG compliance considerations
- ESG as a fiduciary duty
- EU SFDR and how it impacts US GPs? Are the policy aims being achieved? (ideas)
- SEC thinking about something similar – mandatory climate risk disclosure for corporates?
- Other related regs in the US? E.g. California Supply Chain Transparency Act? How do these affect due diligence/monitoring, etc?
Suzanne Tavill, Partner, Head of Responsible Investing, StepStone Group
Marianne Voss, Chief ESG and Impact Officer, Webster Equity Partners
Falsifying credentials – how to identify a greenwasher
In an age where we are making so many strides towards ESG practices, it can be tough to rectify the small percentage of managers that may be behind in their ESG promises. In this session, our industry experts offer insight to investors on how best to identify these managers through understanding language, looking for jumps in data, and clarifying the small details.
Eugenie Cesar-Fabian, Partner & Head of ESG & Sustainability, Palladium Equity Partners
Colin Etnire, Head of ESG, BC Partners
Anibal Montes, Head of ESG, WM Partners
Science Based Targets
Afternoon networking lunch
TRACK A | ESG linked debt
TRACK B | DEI
Backing diverse businesses (ie. PE Investment strategies built around finding diverse-owned businesses): who’s doing it and how are they performing?
TRACK C | Building 2022: A look at tomorrow’s infrastructure market
- A policy update on the Bipartisan Infrastructure Framework
- The current state of the infrastructure market and detail the significant trends affecting the asset class and what to expect coming up in 2022.
Sam Lissner, Principal, Ridgewood Infrastructure
TRACK A | Sustainability-linked loans at the portfolio level.
How widespread have these become? What are the challenges and opportunities?
Adam Heltzer, Head of ESG, Ares Management
TRACK B | DEI data
What do LPs want and what are GPs providing?
Lindsay Rosenstein, Vice President, Crestview Partners
TRACK C | Ag - Capturing Natural Capital: An Asset Class for Change
- Attaching a monetary value to naturally occurring benefits such as carbon capture, water quality, clean air, and biodiversity.
- Rewards action to limit adverse effects of greenhouse gases and helps attract further investors.
Networking afternoon break
A case study
Closing keynote address
Day 2 - Thursday 3rd
LP think tank breakfast (Invitation Only)
GP think tank breakfast (Invitation Only)
Registration & welcome breakfast
Peter Dunbar, Private Equity Senior Specialist, PRI
Opening keynote address
Tricia Winton, Global Head of ESG, Bain Capital
The next frontier: tying incentives to ESG metrics
- GP’s need to meet certain thresholds to receive carried interest, so how are ESG metrics playing a factor in their overall fund returns? What are the profit incentives?
- For LPs, how do they incentivize GPs to invest along ESG principles?
- Is carried interest the only incentive option for firms moving forward? Will we see other vehicles?
- How to incentivize and reward portfolio company employees under PE ownership – those below C-Suite who typically do very well out of ESOP’s?
Peter Dunbar, Private Equity Senior Specialist, PRI
Brett Hickey, Founder & CEO, Star Mountain Capital
Justin Kulla, Partner of Impact Investing and Head of ESG, TZP Group
Science based targets
Providing companies with a scientific pathway to future-proof growth by specifying how much and how quickly they need to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions.
Morning networking break
Playing fair in tax planning: avoiding the easy loopholes
- The debate around a jurisdiction’s effective tax rate; base erosion and profit-sharing standards; and the approach of investment partners.
- Tax planning as key focus as part of an approach to building good governance within a portfolio
- Managers are finding opportunities in funding solution-based technologies.
- Climate solutions and related technologies are high-growth sectors of the economy that can provide opportunities for endowments to make equity investments that seek returns associated with their goals.
Neda Jafar, Partner, Kimmeridge
Catherine Lien, Vice President & Head of ESG, North America, GEF Capital Partners
Real Estate & The Push for Affordable Housing
- Given the extreme shortage of affordable housing, there is an opportunity for positive impacts in this sector that could show significant returns.
- Many occupants of current affordable housing programs tend to be long-term tenants which provides solid cash flow.
- Low supply combined with huge demand creates a real estate investment portfolio that has a high net operating income and produces a solid return on investment.
Ada Arevalo, Founder & CEO, iimpact
Inna Khidekel, Partner, Client Solutions Group, Bridge Investment Group
Antonio Marquez, Principal and Managing Partner, Comunidad Partners
Data convergence: building a framework for the future
- Creating a culture around reporting and data and using aggregated data as a benchmark for other firms
- Strides were taken by the ESG Data Convergence Project
- Preparing for SEC examinations and ensuring accurate data is presented
- Investors requiring more consistent reporting of ESG metrics
- The evolution of non-profit and for-profit companies working tandem to find data-sharing initiatives
- Databases of aggregated benchmark data
Leela Ramnath, Senior Vice President, Head of ESG, Warburg Pincus
Maaike van der Schoot, Responsible Investment Officer, Alpinvest Partners
Plotting net zero and your portfolio
- Mounting pressure for both GPs & LPs to understand their carbon footprints and plot sustainable paths to carbon neutrality. How are different organizations handling it?
- How do investors handle potential contradicting segments of businesses that are pushing to go carbon neutral, but may still have a foot in areas such as coal emissions?
- How do we determine what constitutes a nets zero-emission portfolio?
Peter Fox-Penner, Chief Impact Officer, Energy Impact Partners
William Orum, Partner, Capricorn Investment Group
Networking lunch and conclusion of conference
The Responsible Investment Forum New York offers a unique opportunity for organizations to raise their profile by meeting with the largest gathering of investors, fund managers and organizations shaping the future of ESG in private equity.
For exclusive sponsorship packages,
contact Tyler Mitchell at email@example.com or call +1 646 795 3279.
Interested in speaking at the 2022 Forum?
Please contact Erin Wolfe at firstname.lastname@example.org or +1 646 973 3816.