The longest running Private Equity forum focused on bringing together fund managers with institutional investors to discuss ESG issues and market trends across alternative asset classes will return in June 2020. Whilst ESG has grown due to increased demands from institutional investors, GPs are increasingly seeing how implementing ESG can add tangible value.
Register for the perfect opportunity to discuss the state of the industry with your peers and to be a part of a must-attend event for alternative asset professionals with an interest in ESG and responsible investment.
ESG continues to rise up the agenda, leading to an increased focus on investing in other asset classes including real estate and infrastructure
The growing importance of managing climate risk within business in a year that has seen public awareness grow
Focus on impact investment and measuring impact within PE investments
How to drive meaningful data in private markets?
To what extent are investment teams finally taking ESG more seriously?
Private equity and responsible capitalism
LP perspectives on ESG: industry benchmarking
How can private equity firms build something around impact that makes sense?
Fund & Asset Managers
Anna Follér, Sustainability Manager
As an investor in private equity only, the PEI Responsible Investment Forum is our number one go to event for learning, sharing and networking around ESG.
Clara Camara, Legal Counsel
Crest Capital Partners
As a first-time attendee, it was very useful to understand the urgency of being more demanding with ourselves and with portfolio companies. It was great to lear…
Rick Walters, Director, Infrastructure
This conference boldly showed where ESG and investing is heading. The streams on asset classes were particularly illuminating. Thank you.
Clara Camara, Legal Counsel
Crest Capital Partners
As a first-time attendee, it was very useful to understand the urgency of being more demanding with ourselves and with portfolio companies. It was great to learn from the best in market.
Day 1 - Thursday 11th
Registration & Networking Breakfast
Keynote speech: A climate scientists’ perspective on where we are at
Nearing the point of no return: How private equity should react to the climate emergency
- Implications of COP 25 on private markets
- How are funds implementing the recommendations from the FSB Taskforce?
- Finding climate related opportunities and managing risks in your portfolio
- To what extent is COP 25 and climate risk mapping relevant to mid-market PE funds? Are LP expectations realistic?
Investor perspectives: What do investors want from fund managers on climate?
- To what extent are climate issues impacting strategic asset allocation?
- Are investors looking into ESG at specific portfolio companies? And considering systemic risks across markets and asset classes?
- How do LPs ensure clarity when data is not readily available?
Coffee & networking
Data & ESG: How to drive meaningful data in private markets
- Working towards standardisation of reporting
- What can PE learn from public companies on utilising data?
- Making data useful and relevant to performance
How and why are more private equity funds launching impact strategies?
- Is there a trade-off between impact and returns?
- How can PE Firms build something around impact that makes sense?
- Lessons learned when moving into impact investing
- To what extent is the impact team separate from the rest of the fund?
Regulatory changes in the EU and impact on investments
- Update on sustainable initiatives in the EU
- How will the new EU disclosure regulation affect private equity?
- What impact might the upcoming EU taxonomy regulation have?
Fiduciary duty in the 21st Century
- Do private equity funds have a fiduciary duty to take ESG issues into account?
- How might a redefinition of fiduciary duty impact valuation methodologies?
- Defining fiduciary duty and putting it into context
- Outlining why the fiduciary duties of loyalty and prudence require the incorporation of ESG issues
Why ESG is finally growing in importance in private debt
- Exerting influence on ESG issues as a debt investor
- The role of ESG in assessing risk pre-deal
- Case studies of successful ESG implementation in a credit portfolio
Making the business case for ESG in real estate
- Aligning sustainability and investment strategies across the portfolio
- ESG performance improvements: from risk reduction to value creation
- How can real estate have a positive impact and avoid displacement of marginalised people?
Impact Investment Chairperson Address
How to drive private markets towards impact investment
- What impact strategies are best positioned for success?
- What are the obstacles? Are there enough commercial projects to put money to work?
- To what extent is the investor base different in expectations to traditional investors in PE funds?
The role of Impact Investing in combating climate change
- Why climate change is the opportunity of the century
- Ways to engage the private sector with climate change initiatives
- How impact investing can help in discovering pioneering technologies
Coffee & networking
Applying the SDGs at the fund manager level
- Making the investment case for SDGs
- How have firms used SDGs to improve performance of portfolio companies?
- Why SDGs are relevant to institutional investors
- Examples of successful SDG engagement in private equity
Practical examples of climate risk strategy in action
Case study session showing how leading GPs have taken action to address climate risk and opportunities within their portfolio of investments. The audience will have the opportunity to question them on their decisions
Why ESG in infrastructure is here to stay and how managers can act across their portfolio
- Addressing some of the unique challenges involved with ESG in infrastructure
- Investing in climate resilient infrastructure
- To what extent is infrastructure being incorporated within due diligence?
- How can ESG be used as part of wider value creation strategy?
Addressing ESG concerns with technologies involved in the energy transition – a focus on the wind sector
- Outlining the environmental issues involved (blades, batteries, switch gear, brakes, wind farms etc)
- Social issues linked to labour policies, economic displacement etc
- Managing complex supply chains
- Are there circular economy opportunities linked to this area?
- To what extend are these technologies also contributing to climate change (e.g. SF6)?
- Impacts on wildlife and habitats
Adam Black, Head of ESG & Sustainability, Coller Capital
in conversation with
Christopher Springham. VP, Communications and Sustainability, LM Wind Power
Is blended finance a model to bring institutional investment into emerging markets?
- How can blended finance facilitate risk-adjusted returns for commercial investors in high-impact deals?
- Working with DFIs, foundations and other catalytic sources of capital throughout the course of an investment
- Overcoming concerns around liquidity and likely complications in investments
- Lessons from social and development impact bonds
Should ESG & impact be measured at the portfolio level?
- How to set strategic goals and expectations
- What metrics should investors use?
- Managing impact performance
Event Joins Back Together
ESG Due Diligence: Deal or No Deal
Highlighting the growing role of ESG in due diligence, this session will feature GPs presenting a case study on a potential investment where there are some underlying ESG concerns. Moderated by an investment committee and voted on by the audience on whether the fund should invest
Networking Drinks Reception
Day 2 - Friday 12th
Invitation only LP & GP Breakfast Briefings
Sustainable investing from an institutional investor perspective with a focus on climate
- What demands are investors making on climate to the funds they invest in?
- Analysing asset owners ESG investment practices
- Consideration of upcoming regulations and European initiatives
- Outsourcing trends for third-party asset managers
AP6 Case Study: How ESG is incorporated across all investment decisions
- To what extent is ESG impacting the funds AP6 invest into?
- How closely does the ESG professional work with the investment team?
- Best practice on ESG from fund managers
Perspectives on ESG: Industry benchmarking
The PEI Research & Analytics team surveyed investors in the asset class to capture investor sentiment, relationships with GPs, and performance predictions. Following a brief presentation of the survey’s findings, the panellists will share and discuss their observations and predictions for investments in private markets
Coffee & networking
Private equity & responsible capitalism: Is private equity doing enough?
- Is the pay level for managers appropriate relative to value added?
- What is private equity doing to prepare for a radically different political environment?
- Are success metrics in private equity compatible with ESG?
Diversity Initiatives Case Studies: Who is leading the way?
This unique session will feature 3 case study presentations highlighting how private equity firms have addressed diversity/Crucially initiatives will be addressing all forms of diversity. The audience will be given the opportunity to question participants and vote on the best diversity case-study
Close of Conference followed by Networking Lunch
Head of ESG, Triton Capital Partners
Head of ESG & Sustainability, Coller Capital
Vice-President, HarbourVest Partners
Partner, Glennmont Partners
Sustainability Manager, Sixth Swedish National Pension Fund
Executive Advisor, European Leveraged Finance Alliance
ESG Director, PAI Partners
Vice President, Energy Impact Partners
Founder, Alma Verde Advisors
Sector Lead Financial Intermediaries, EBRD
Responsible Investor Advisor, USS Investment Management
Professor of Practice, Simmons University
Director - Real Estate, GRESB
Partner - Client & Strategy Development, Bridges Fund Management
Co-Founder & CEO, Ai.VEN Partners
Managing Director, Brightwood Capital Advisors
Executive Vice President - Sales & Marketing, RepRisk
Associate, ESG & Sustainability, Partners Group
Managing Director, Northleaf Capital Partners
CEO, PRI Association
Head of Investor Relations, Atomico
Executive Director, The Predistribution Initiative
Responsible Investment Officer, AlpInvest Partners
Head of Responsible Investment, Nest Corporation
VP - Communications and Sustainability, LM Wind Power GE Renewable Energy Business
Senior Specialist, UNPRI
Managing Director - Co-Chair of Responsible Investment Committee, Capital Dynamics
The Responsible Investment Forum offers a unique opportunity for organisations to raise their profile as a part of the premier meeting for Private Equity professionals focused on investing responsibly.
For more information on available sponsorship opportunities contact Christopher Wagland, firstname.lastname@example.org +44 (0) 0207 566 5475.
Connect with other professionals interested in ESG and responsible investment
As the largest global event focused on ESG in private equity bringing together more than 300 senior GPs and LPs to discuss the state of the industry and discover how implementing ESG can add tangible value.
Informal relationship building
Join your peers during the cocktail reception, invitation only LP and GP breakfasts, as well as Forum lunches to connect with potential partners in a more relaxed atmosphere.
Structured networking sessions will be held during the day in the form of Oxford style debates, roundtable discussions and conference networking breaks to allow you to identify attendees with similar interests and goals.