The largest European event specifically interested in value creation private equity owned companies.
The Forum provides a unique opportunity to hear from experienced operating partners and C-level executives on how they deliver value creation strategies, create top-line growth and drive EBITDA improvement in their portfolio.
Attendees will have extensive opportunities to network, build relationships and compare best value creation practices with their peers from leading PE firms, expert service providers, CEOs of portfolio companies and many more.
Network with and hear from more operating partners than ever before throughout the event and have an open discussion with your peers at the closed door think tank and operating partners drink reception.
A more outward-looking agenda covering more topics and hearing the views of CEOs and deal partners on their work with operating partners.
Exclusive for 2020
More opportunities for networking with other operating partners and expert service providers built into the event, Over 100 speakers including value creation experts, CEOs from portfolio companies and investment team representatives.
Darrell Stein, Director & Operations Advisor to Private Equity Funds (KKR), HBF Solutions Ltd
Keynote Interview: Getting tech right in the first 100 days
Commercially astute, passionate, globally experienced CIO with an impressive track record of execution excellence in both Retail/ FMCG and a range of Private Equity Businesses. Currently advising and delivering digital transformations for KKR.
Darrell has experience of delivering accelerated solutions across a number of private equity industries such as the rapid carve out of business units, significant cost efficiencies, development of third party agreements and driving digital sales growth. A highly pragmatic hands-on CIO, recognised for mentoring talent as demonstrated by 9 current CIO’s having worked directly for him. An active member of the technology community, advising both established and start-up enterprises.
Brochure now available
- Explore the comprehensive selection of speakers who will inspire you this October
- Access your networking guide for maximum connections
- Get a snapshot of the 200+ operating partners attending
- See the latest agenda highlights
2019 Attendees included
Testimonials from 2019
Managing Partner & CEO, BM&T
This is now the must-attend event for Operating Partners in the UK if not Europe. An excellent opportunity to catch up with the latest thinking and to network w…
Partner, E2T Capital
Good forum, practical, a wealth of know-how sitting in the room and straight to the point
Comatch, Managing Director UK
The forum is a great environment to connect with familiar faces, meet new people and discuss topical issues facing the industry
Managing Partner & CEO, BM&T
This is now the must-attend event for Operating Partners in the UK if not Europe. An excellent opportunity to catch up with the latest thinking and to network with peers
Managing Director, Crosslake
Chief Revenue Officer, Globalization Partners
Senior Director - Portfolio Support, APS Advisory
Senior Vice President, Wipro
Head of EMEA Private Equity , SAP
Head of ESG, Triton Partners
Operating Partner, Frog Capital
Managing Director, OMERS Private Equity
Managing Director, Ellice Consulting
Operating Partner, Mid Europa Partners
CEO, Simon-Kucher & Partners
Director – Marketing & Communications, Blue Water Energy
Portfolio Director, Mayfair Equity Partners
Advisor, Advent International
Director, August Equity
Managing Partner, Blue Ridge Partners
Head of Data Science, TA Associates
Talent Director, Notion Capital
Managing Director-Private Equity, Investcorp
Operating Advisor - Sustainability, Apax Partners
Portfolio Performance Managing Director, Eurazeo
Principal, PAI Partners
Managing Director, Alvarez & Marsal
Senior Partner, Frog Capital
Managing Director – Operating Partner, Wendel Group
Operating Partner, Metro AG
Founder - CG Consultancy and Technology Value Add Pyramid Head, Vitruvian Partners
Operating Partner, Limerston Capital
Director - UK&I TAS Operational Transaction Services - Cybersecurity, EY
Portfolio Team, Capvis
Director and Program Manager PEP, Gilde Buy Out Partners
Partner - Head Industry Value Creation and Head Industrials, Partners Group
Managing Director & Chief Digital Officer, Alix Partners
Operating Executive, Silver Lake
Growth Acceleration Team, Livingbridge
Operating Partner, Apis Partners
Managing Director and Operating Partner, CDPQ Direct Private Equity
Partner, Head of Operations Team - BC Partners
Responsible Investment Manager, Actis
Partner, Mobeus Equity Partners
Partner, Portfolio Management - Graphite Capital
Assistant Director – Digital Team, Inflexion
Director, Head of Private Equity (EMEA) - YSC
Operating Partner, Keen Venture Partners
Vice President, Alexander Group
Managing Director, Strategic Value Partners
Managing Director,PEAL Investments
Managing Partner and Founder, Humatica
Director, KKR Capstone
Investment Director, ECI Partners
Portfolio Director, Mayfair Equity Partners
Director, Nordic Capital
Director, Portfolio Growth - Horizon Capital
Operating Partner, CVC Capital Partners
Partner, Operations, Cinven
Chief Digital Officer, Apax Partners SAS
Managing Director, BC Partners
Director, Private Capital - OTPP
Managing Director, Anchorage Capital
Senior Business Development Manager, Amazon Web Services
Managing Director, Blue Ridge Partners
Managing Director, Alvarez & Marsal
Director and Operations Advisor to Private Equity Funds (KKR), HBF Solutions
Senior Managing Director, Sun European Partners
Principal, Development Partners International
Portfolio Talent Director, Montagu Full Potential Partners
Portfolio Performance Group - PAI Partners
Partner - Operational Transaction Services, EY
Managing Director, Cinven
Managing Director, AlixPartners
Founding Partner, Vunderink De Vries
Operating Partner, Limerston Capital
Senior Affiliate Professor, INSEAD
Day 1 - Monday 5th
The evolution of value creation and changes to the structure of portfolio groups
- What roles exist on your operations team? How has this changed in recent years?
- Getting the most out of service providers whilst controlling expenditure
- How to quantify operating partner performance: KPIs and metrics used by firms
- What is the role of the portfolio team pre deal vs. post-deal?
- Predictions for trends in the next 10 years for more specialist roles and closeness to the investment team
Moderator: Susanne Vanner, Director – Operational Transaction Services, EY
Partner - Operational Transaction Services, EYRead bio
Partner, Head of Operations Team - BC PartnersRead bio
Operating Partner, CVC Capital PartnersRead bio
Partner, Operations, CinvenRead bio
Operating partner assessments of the commercial organisation during diligence
- To what extent are operating partners being asked to examine top-line revenue issues during diligence?
- What issues are operating partners being asked to analyse? Pricing, sales productivity, lead generation capabilities, go-to-market model, etc.
- In what circumstances are operating partners most likely to make a difference?
- Knowing what to look for: Spotting risks and opportunities
- Techniques for being most effective during diligence
Facilitator: Jim Corey, Managing Partner, Blue Ridge Partners
Preparing for a downturn – what to do from a PE operations improvement standpoint
- How should PE backed businesses and their private equity owners be prepared for downturns?
- Which sectors are particularly susceptible to a change in economic environment and sectoral shifts?
- What should management teams and sponsors of businesses be prioritising when it comes to readying themselves for tough times?
- Tips for companies re-evaluating their business models/shutting down certain activities/scenario analysis
Moderator: Rob Southern, Managing Director, Alvarez & Marsal
Managing Director, Alvarez & MarsalRead bio
Alejandro Alcalde Rasch
Senior Director - Portfolio Support, APS AdvisoryRead bio
Partner - Head Industry Value Creation and Head Industrials, Partners GroupRead bio
Fireside chat: Using Technology to accelerate value creation in the first 100 days and beyond
- How can technology help private equity realise profitable exits sooner?
- Making a concrete action plan in the first 100 days
- Focusing on large scale cost take out in your portfolio companies by driving operational efficiencies and intelligent automation
- Looking for new revenue streams and sales growth through business process reimagination and digital transformation
- Case studies on PE Firms leveraging technology from due diligence to cost-effective exit
A. Amarnath, Senior Vice President, Wipro
In conversation with
Darrell Stein, Director & Operations Advisor to Private Equity Funds (KKR), HBF Solutions
Coffee & networking
What born-digital culture can tell us about transforming traditional companies
- Aligning culture with digital transformation
- What can we learn from some of the mistakes of large born-digital companies?
- Practical advice for making transformational changes
Rob Hornby, Managing Director & Chief Digital Officer, London, AlixPartners
The future of work: automation to accelerate value creation
- How are you thinking about opportunities around automation?
- Doing automation right: utilizing automation technologies to accelerate value creation
- How to prioritize and align business and technology priorities
- Enabling scale & improving profitability
- Transforming the cost base and accelerating margin expansion
Pricing case study: Building out pricing capabilities in your portfolio
- Identifying pricing value in your portfolio early on
- Capturing pricing upside and other profitable growth opportunities within portfolio companies
- Case studies in strategic pricing projects and other topline initiatives
- Integrating data to inform pricing decisions
Managing culture & strategy to ensure an engaged and incentivised workforce
- Defining corporate culture
- How should PE houses address company culture from the outset?
- How to help CEOs and management teams engineer culture
- What cultural behaviours drive value growth?
Working with management to implement rapid EBITDA improvement
- Developing a roadmap with EBITDA in mind from day one
- Managing value creation through the board
- What are the top 10 quick wins on a typical investment?
Moderator: Hazem Abolrous, Managing Director, Crosslake
Assessing effectiveness of management teams
- Defining success in different operating environments
- Factors to consider when evaluating management
- Knowing when its time to make changes vs. working with management teams
Moderator: Pamela McGill, Director, Head of Private Equity (EMEA), YSC
How long-term investors are working with private equity on more deals
- Aligning objectives with long-term investors
- How do operating teams work together when both investors have in-house value creation experts?
- Case studies of successful partnerships where challenges have been overcome
Managing cybersecurity and data privacy
- Identifying data privacy risks during the due diligence process
- How to spot and address red flags during an investment
- Identifying third party risks from external providers
- How are new regulations impacting private equity?
Moderator: Paul Harragan, Director – UK&I TAS Operational Transaction Services – Cybersecurity, EY
Case study: Tech execution to enable the value creation plan from day one
- Creating feedback loops between business and tech strategy
- Rapid prototyping for getting technology selection right and accelerating program outcomes
- Learnings from successful investments and challenges overcome
How can cloud accelerate speed pre and post transaction?
- How is cloud an enabler to transactions?
- How to use cloud in due diligence
- How are we seeing tech used within value creation?
- Upgrading other tech systems
Moderator: Abhinav Saxena, Senior Business Development Manager – Private Equity EMEA, AWS
Using data science & tech to drive and monitor value creation strategy
Working with sales teams to drive sales force effectiveness
- Making judgements on the capability of the sales team
- Utilising sales ops to improve performance of sales teams
- Optimising the sales engine, improving digital sales whilst keeping traditional sales teams onside
Moderator: Moti Shahani, Managing Director, Blue Ridge Partners
How is digital transformation changing buyer journeys?
- Understanding how customer experience is evolving and aligning the approach to sales and marketing
- Considering how things are developing in different industries
- Case study: Using data to inform digitally-enabled outreach
Moderator:Marc Metzner, Vice President, Alexander Group
How could a consistent portfolio company transformation philosophy & toolkit accelerate returns?
- Designing a scalable portfolio company transformation philosophy
- Developing a digital toolkit applicable across portcos to accelerate time to value
- Facilitating efficiency for the operating partner with a unified portfolio-scale approach
Leveraging scale to drive procurement savings across a portfolio
- How digital transformation is reshaping procurement
- Releasing untapped value from third party spend
- Procurement transformations in the first 100 days
Coffee & networking
Strategic implementation of digital transformations throughout the lifecycle
- Looking at specific ways operating partners are harnessing better digital strategies to drive returns
- Covering the four phases: due diligence, 100 days, hold, exit
- Understanding how operating partner teams get started when it comes to digital
- How do you diagnose digital opportunities & analytic capabilities and drive change across your portfolio?
- What are the implications for each stage of the investment?
Moderator: Luke Anderson, Head of EMEA Private Equity, SAP
Ask the experts: Panel of key speakers from the day audience Q&A
Leading speakers from the earlier sessions come together to explore the key questions that have arisen during the day.
Moderator: Diane Albano, Chief Revenue Officer, Globalization Partners
Close of conference
Day 2 - Tuesday 6th
Invitation-only Think Tank for Operating Partners
This closed-door session is an opportunity to share first-hand accounts on how to best position yourself in your career as an operating partner. The think tank will expose the toughest challenges operating partners face daily and will allow you to learn best practices in dealing with them.
August Equity & Dental Partners: A value- creation story told by the participants
Managing board effectiveness: Making boards a value creation driver
- Getting value from your chair, what is their role in board meetings
- How do the best boards plan their time to ensure they add value
- Quantifying the value of a good board
- Real life case studies of where bad boards have led to corporate failures, what could have been done to prevent issues
Managing the CFO-CEO relationship at portfolio companies
- Getting senior management aligned with the value creation plan
- How can PE best support CEOs and CFOs?
- How should CFOs work with the board and CEOs on the growth strategy?
- Working with a CFO when having issues with a CEO
Moderator: Willem Vunderink, Founding Partner, Vunderink De Vries
Maximising returns spent on marketing during a limited hold period
- Proving the value of spend on marketing at portfolio companies
- Deciding when and how much to invest in marketing
- Where to spend on marketing, digital and PPC vs. more traditional routes
How operating partners can create value within the exit process
- Deciding the most favourable exit route for a portfolio company
- What are the key value drivers ahead of exit? How do you identify these?
- How can sell-side due diligence help to get a deal done?
- Lessons learned from challenging exits
How embracing ESG & impacts can enhance returns
- How reducing consumption and waste can increase EBITDA
- Highlighting the value of improvement ESG to the next buyers
- How to turn impact into operational plans at portfolio companies
- Setting KPIs based around impact and ESG
- The role of ESG in supporting an exit
Coffee & networking
Fireside chat: Implementing a new, post-merger operating model with the existing management team
Establishing a new operating model and way of working is an essential step for implementing many value creation plans. In particular, with buy-and-build, major organisational changes are needed to realise synergies. This unique session will highlight a case study of successfully implementing a new international operating model with the existing management of former competitors. It will provide practical insights on engaging and retaining management for a new value growth journey.
Moderator: Andros Payne, Managing Partner and Founder, Humatica
Add-on acquisitions: How operators can add value as part of a buy and build strategy
- Which sectors are most well suited to this approach to value add?
- Why technology and digitisation has made buy-and-builds more attractive
- How to think about a company’s cash flow when they’ve had multiple mid-year acquisitions
- Executing value creation strategy to ensure new acquisitions are integrated seamlessly
- Creating a playbook to prepare a company’s process, technology, and people for a merger
Moderator: Mark Veldon, Managing Director, Alix Partners
Deal Mechanic case studies: Operational excellence stories explained by the participants
Themed networking working lunch followed by close of conference
Tables discussing a variety of topics over lunch led by an expert moderator
The Operating Partners Forum: Europe offers a unique opportunity for organisations to raise their profile as part of the premier meeting for Private Equity professionals focused on value creation.
Build valuable connections with 200+ operating partners
The App: Networking tool to open up relationships old and new
Our networking app has been designed to make sure you get the most out of your time at the Forum. Available prior to the event, make sure you download the app to:
- Get early access to the attendee list
- Arrange meetings with key contacts within the app’s messaging system
- Build your network before you arrive at the event
Countless opportunities to connect with other Operating Partners
The only European event bringing together more than 170 experts in value creation at private equity firms together with the surrounding industry.
Informal relationship building
Join your peers during drinks receptions, breakfasts and lunches to connect with potential partners in a more relaxed atmosphere.
Structured networking sessions will be held during conference breaks to allow you to identify attendees with similar interests and goals.