With a growing body of research showing that more diverse teams and inclusive workplaces directly correlates with stronger business outcomes, the issue of diversity in private debt continues to move up the agenda.
The inaugural Women in Private Debt Forum will bring together over 600 delegates for open discussion on the latest issues facing the industry, as well as the opportunity to exchange ideas, initiate deals and forge new relationships.
This year’s event will be co-located with the Women in Infrastructure Forum and the Women in Private Equity Forum, in addition to Women in Real Estate Forum, all registered attendees will have access to all events allowing you to build your network across alternative asset classes.
Brenda Trenowden CBE
Partner, PwC UK
Global co-chair of the 30% Club
Brenda’s presentation will highlight why increasing diversity and managing culture is a business imperative, in addition to offering practical advice for professionals aiming to succeed in a competitive environment.
An expert in workplace performance, culture and communications, Brenda has a particular focus on helping clients build better performance by improving diversity and inclusiveness in their workplaces.
Dictate the narrative
Interactive panel discussions, keynote interviews, networking roundtables, think tanks and an oxford style debate allow you to put forward your thoughts and shape this important discussion.
Build your network
Meet 600 influential investors, fund managers and advisors from across the community and make the right connections to grow your business.
Identify key private debt opportunities and discover strategies for 2019 and beyond.
Attendees from the previous summit in 2018
The conference is very well organized, covering topics on both diversity awareness and key industry issues such as investing in emerging markets.
Director Investments & Financing, AviAlliance GmbH, Germany
It is an excellent forum for women of all levels of seniority to get to know each other, exchange views and hopefully to form professional relationships that ca…
Senior Analyst, I Squared Capital
It was inspiring to meet so many strong women who are excelling in this industry and raising awareness of the benefits of gender diversification.
Director Investments & Financing, AviAlliance GmbH, Germany
It is an excellent forum for women of all levels of seniority to get to know each other, exchange views and hopefully to form professional relationships that carry over into our working lives going forward.
Day 1 - Tuesday 5th
Registration and coffee
Chairperson's opening remarks
Keynote speech: Why diversity and culture are a value driver in business
Brenda helps clients with all aspects of workplace performance, culture and communication. Brenda has a particular focus on helping her clients to achieve better business performance by improving both the diversity and inclusiveness of their workforces. She is a strong advocate for women’s economic empowerment and has been recognised with several awards for her global campaigning for greater gender balance across organisations as a voluntary, business-led imperative.
Head of Private Markets: The themes that unify our asset classes
- What is driving the growth in private markets? Are we in a bubble?
- Putting money to work in an increasingly competitive environment
- To what extent do investors differentiate between asset classes? Where are their similarities?
- How can working together address talent deficits across private markets?
- What practical advice do industry leaders have for young people in the industry today?
Moderated by: Clare Gaskell, Partner, Simpson Thacher
Infrastructure: Andrew Blincoe, Head of Structured Finance, NatWest
Private Debt:Kirsten Bode, Co-Head of Private Debt, Pan Europe, Muzinch & Co
Private Equity: Melissa Li, Managing Director, CIBC Capital Markets
Real Estate: Amy Aznar, Head of Debt and Special Situations, LaSalle Investment Management
Partner, Simpson ThacherRead bio
Head of Debt & Special SituationsRead bio
Head of Structured Finance, NatwestRead bio
Co-Head of Pan-European Private Debt, Muzinich & CoRead bio
Managing Director and Head - Private Capital Group, CIBCRead bio
How are investor pressures driving change within the funds they invest in?
- To what extent are investors challenging fund managers on diversity across investments?
- How senior leaders across private markets are promoting social mobility?
- Highlighting case studies where lack of diversity has impacted an investment decision
- Comparing approaches to diversity across private markets, are there any differences?
- How does diversity compare with other factors in impacting where investors put their money?
Moderated by: Laurie Mahon, Vice-Chair, US Investment Banking, Global Investment Banking, CIBC Capital Markets
Partner, StepStone GroupRead bio
Coffee & networking
Private debt chairperson's opening remarks
State of Play: How Europe's lending landscape is shifting
- Putting capital to work in a booming credit environment
- How well prepared are private debt funds for the next economic crisis?
- What industries are seeing the most private debt activity? Which sectors are lenders tending to avoid?
Moderated by: Fiona Freeman, Managing Director, FTI Consulting
How technological innovation is re-shaping credit markets
- Where is technology having the biggest impact on private debt markets?
- What are the dangers related to implementing new technologies?
- Examples of current uses of tech in debt markets
Moderated by: Gabriella Kindert, Expert in Alternative Lending – Board Member, Mizuho Europe
Expert In Alternative Lending and Private Debt, Supervisory Board Member – Mizuho EuropeRead bio
Capital Markets Director, Prodigy FinanceRead bio
Head of Business Development, INGRead bio
Managing Director & Founder, BrickVestRead bio
Structuring fund investments: The increasing role of portfolio management in private debt
- The role of asset managers in a market where deal terms are loosening
- What pushback are lenders giving on terms?
- How funds are preparing themselves for a less benign economic environment
Moderated by: Jeff Davis, Partner – Co-Head of Credit, Eaton Partners
Partner - Co-Head of Credit, Eaton PartnersRead bio
Director - Private Debt & CLO's, Hermes Investment ManagementRead bio
Managing Director, Crescent Credit Europe LLPRead bio
Vice President, Northleaf Capital PartnersRead bio
Private debt case studies
Comparing and contrasting deals in 2 different European markets
- How do covenants compare across different countries?
- Where do funds see increased opportunities in private debt?
Moderated by: Nicole Douglas, Head of Investor Research, PEI Media
Beyond a Box-Ticking Exercise: ESG and Private Debt
- Outlining some of the challenges associated with ESG and private debt
- To what extend are credit funds learning from their private equity funds?
- Case studies of successful ESG implementation in a credit portfolio
Moderated by: Sabrina Fox, Executive Advisor, European Leveraged Finance Alliance
Executive Advisor, European Leveraged Finance AllianceRead bio
Partner and Managing Director, Hayfin Capital ManagementRead bio
Managing Director, Brightwood Capital AdvisorsRead bio
Head of Impact Strategy, Golding Capital PartnersRead bio
Coffee & networking
What are LP views of the European private debt market today
- LP views on loosening deal terms in Europe
- How are investors differentiating between fund managers?
- Are LPs concerned about style drift as fund sizes increase?
Moderated by: Faten Bizzari, Head of Investment Research, IANUA Market Limited
Looking across the pond: How does European direct lending compare to the more established U.S. market?
- Outlining the historical evolution of both markets
- Dynamics in each market– size, performance, supply and demand, product type, relative value, return drivers
- Current market conditions and development
- What are the characteristics of sophisticated direct lenders in each market?
Women in Alternatives Cocktail Reception
Day 2 - Wednesday 6th
Invitation only think-tanks
These closed-door sessions will allow women to speak freely about the issues impacting their office and asset class. It is a closed door, open conversation where attendees can benchmark ideas and share best practices to gain solutions for common concerns.
- Infrastructure: Matina Papathanasiou, Deputy Head of Global Infrastructure, QIC
- Private equity:
- Private Debt: Katherine Taylor, Director – Business Development, THL Credit
- Real Estate: Gila Cohen, Managing Director – Real Estate and Private Equity, MUFG
Registration & coffee
Emerging Markets: Where are the most attractive opportunities in emerging markets?
- Which macro trends are affecting investment in emerging markets today?
- Key reasons to invest in Asian, LatAm & African alternative assets
- What is the appetite for different investment strategies across emerging markets?
- Comparing risk in EM to more developed markets
Moderated by: Taru Oksman, Managing Partner, Riverhouse Partners
Managing Partner, Riverhouse PartnersRead bio
Global Head of Power & Utilities, Crédit Agricole CIBRead bio
Head of HR, A.P. Møller HoldingRead bio
Head, Responsible Investment, ActisRead bio
Highlights of the PEI LP Insight findings
The PEI Investor Research & Analytics team surveyed over 100 LPs to capture investor sentiment on asset allocation, relationships with GPs, and performance predictions. The study also features insight on gender diversity and inclusion. Investors range from established players with diverse fund portfolios, to those planning to make their first alternatives commitments in 2020.
Presented by: Nicole Douglas, Head of Investor Research, PEI Media Group
View from the deal team: What skills are required to make a successful investment partner?
- Why do deal teams remain so male, pale and stale even when compared to other areas of finance?
- Outlining the advantages of a diverse deal team
- What advice do deal team partners have for young people aiming for a spot on the deal team?
Moderated by: Sonali Tang, Senior Investment Specialist, ADB
How, why and when to move between alternative asset classes
- Building a cross-asset class network
- Are there any significant differences in the skills required to be successful?
- What skills are transferrable between asset classes?
- Case studies from practitioners who have made the move
Moderated by: Gail McManus, Founder and Managing Director, PER
Coffee & networking
Meet a Mentor Session
This unique session will split the room up into tables with a senior representative on each table offering practical career advice to the table. This will provide a unique opportunity to build your network and tables will be led by people with different areas of expertise.
Mentor 1: Pooja Warier Hamilton, Founding Partner and Executive Director, Conduit Capital
Mentor 2: Imogen Richards, Partner and Global Head of Investment Structuring and Strategy, Pantheon
Mentor 3: Jessica Otte, Director, Stepstone Global
Mentor 4: Alex Wilson, Managing Director and Head, Corporate Banking Europe, CIBC Capital Markets
Mentor 5: Merrick McKay, Head of Europe – Private Equity, Aberdeen Standard Investments
Mentor 6: Anke Heinze, Director of the Investments & Financing Department, AviAlliance
Mentor 7: Katherine Taylor, Director – Business Development, THL Credit
Mentor 8: Deborah Gilshan, Founder, The 100% Club
Mentor 9: Keeran Kang, Senior Vice President, Partners Group
Mentor 10: Harry Seekings, Co-Head of Infrastructure, InfraRed
Founder, The 100% ClubRead bio
Director of the Investments & Financing Department, AviAllianceRead bio
Senior Vice President, Partners GroupRead bio
Co-Head of Infrastructure, InfraRedRead bio
Pooja Warier Hamilton
Founding Partner and Executive Director, Conduit CapitalRead bio
Managing Director and Head, Corporate Banking Europe, CIBC Capital MarketsRead bio
Themed networking working lunch
Tables discussing a variety of topics over lunch led by an expert moderator
Ulyana Shtybel (HighCastle) – Tokenisation of private equity and private debt
Emilia Mamajova (Espira Investments) – Diversity & Impact
Abigail Rayner (HarbourVest Partners) – Infrastructure Secondaries
Roxana Isaiu (GRESB) – ESG & Real Assets
Nupur Garg (Senior Advisor PE) – Forming a women’s private equity network
Chris Rowse (Riverhouse Partners) – Recruitment: Challenges and Diversity Trends
Elena Kosseva (LCR)- Private Investment and Urban Regeneration
Christina Han (Partners Group) – Thematic Sourcing
Head of Investment Research - Industry Value Creation, Partners GroupRead bio
Director - Real Estate, GRESBRead bio
Development Manager, LCRRead bio
Founding Partner, ESPIRA InvestmentsRead bio
Vice President, HarbourVestRead bio
Vice-President, HighcastleRead bio
Partner, Riverhouse PartnersRead bio
Chairperson's closing remarks
Head of Debt & Special Situations
Global Head of Power & Utilities, Crédit Agricole CIB
Head of Investment Research, IANUA Market Limited
Head of Structured Finance, Natwest
Co-Head of Pan-European Private Debt, Muzinich & Co
Partner - Research & Portfolio Management, Corbin Capital Partners
Managing Director, Real Estate and Private Equity, MUFG
Partner - Co-Head of Credit, Eaton Partners
Head of Investor Research, PEI Media
Managing Partner, MV Credit
Executive Advisor, European Leveraged Finance Alliance
Officer of the Debt Products Department, European Investment Fund
Managing Director, FTI Consulting
Board Member and Senior Advisor, PE Industry
Partner, Simpson Thacher
Founder, The 100% Club
Director, MetLife Investment Management
Investment Director, Permira Debt Managers
Director of the Investments & Financing Department, AviAlliance
Director - Real Estate, GRESB
Partner, StepStone Group
Principal - Relationship Manager, Ares Management
Senior Vice President, Partners Group
Expert In Alternative Lending and Private Debt, Supervisory Board Member – Mizuho Europe
Development Manager, LCR
Partner and Managing Director, Hayfin Capital Management
Co-Head of Private Debt, Tikehau Capital
Managing Director and Head - Private Capital Group, CIBC
Alternatives, Church of England
Managing Partner, Connection Capital
Vice-Chair, US Investment Banking, Global Investment Banking, CIBC World Markets
Founding Partner, ESPIRA Investments
Managing Director, Brightwood Capital Advisors
Head of Europe - Private Equity, Aberdeen Standard Investments
Founder and Managing Director, PER
Head, Responsible Investment, Actis
Principal, West Valley Capital
Head of Impact Strategy, Golding Capital Partners
Managing Partner, Riverhouse Partners
Founder & Partner, Resilience Partners
Director, Stepstone Global
Deputy Head of Global Infrastructure, QIC
Head of HR, A.P. Møller Holding
Capital Markets Director, Prodigy Finance
Vice President, HarbourVest
Head of Business Development, ING
Head of Private Debt - France, Muzinich & Co
Partner and Global Head of Investment Structuring and Strategy, Pantheon
Partner, Riverhouse Partners
Managing Director & Founder, BrickVest
Co-Head of Infrastructure, InfraRed
Investment Director, CVI
Director - Private Debt & CLO's, Hermes Investment Management
Principal Investment Specialist, ADB
Director, THL Credit
Senior Editor, Private Debt Investor
Managing Director, Crescent Credit
Founding Partner and Executive Director, Conduit Capital
Principal - Alternatives, Mercer
Managing Director and Head, Corporate Banking Europe, CIBC Capital Markets
Vice President, Northleaf Capital Partners
The Women in Private Debt Forum offers a unique opportunity for organisations to raise their profile as a part of the premier meeting for private debt professionals focused on increasing diversity within the asset class.
For more information on available sponsorship opportunities contact Chris Wagland, email@example.com +44 (0) 0207 566 5475.