How can Japanese institutional investors and financial institutions secure a place in the rapidly evolving sustainable finance world?
Join opinion leaders from Japan and abroad to discover how urgent theoretical and practical issues can marry with the vision for a new era of capitalism in a sustainability-conscious world.
Make new connections with 400+ senior Japanese finance professionals to debate regulatory developments, market trends and best practices in responsible investment, and be a part of advancing sustainable finance in Japan.
Connect with the Japanese ESG and sustainable finance industry
Past attendees have included Dai-ichi Life Insurance, GPIF, Japan Post Insurance, Pension Fund Association, Sophia School Corporation, Transport Agency Pension Fund, and many more.
Get answers to the biggest ESG questions from industry experts
Carefully curated panel sessions will showcase the depth and the dynamics of sustainable finance discussion from global standardisations of ESG to organisational challenges to take up portfolio decarbonisation.
Japan-focused content with a global perspective
With a well-established network of sustainable finance practitioners, Responsible Investor will bring together both local and international attendees to discuss how to progress Japanese business in a sustainability-conscious world.
Hear from the top officials presenting strategies to push climate risk management forward and enhance opportunities in sustainable finance.
- Power game for international standardization of sustainable finance
- To what extent has ESG and sustainable finance taken root in financial markets and corporate management?
- How do METI’s roadmaps lead the capital to transition finance?
- Impact on the real world: Expectations and evaluation methods
- Financial informatization of ESG and sustainability factors
- How do responsible investors observe the governance of Prime Market companies?
Connect with 400+ Japanese sustainable finance professionals
Japan Sustainable Investment Forum
Executive Advisor to the CEO
Fuji Oil Holdings
Head of Japan
Green Finance Network Japan
Relationship Manager Japan, Signatory Relations
RI Japan 2022 - Tuesday 24th
Welcome remarks from Responsible Investor and Lead Sponsor
Plenary 1: The global standardisation of sustainable finance: background, expectations, and implications for Japanese investors
- Does the International Sustainability Standards Board (ISSB) finally settle the question of what ESG is?
- How does the standard embrace the notions and debates around single, double, dynamic materiality? What about the real-world impact?
- How exactly does a tighter disclosure standard drive capital to sustainable assets?
Miyuki Zeniya, Deputy Head of Global Sustainability, Fellow, Corporate Planning Unit, Dai-ichi Life Holdings and Head of Sustainable Finance, Fellow, Investment Planning Dept., The Dai-ichi Life Insurance
Deputy Head of Global Sustainability, Fellow, Corporate Planning Unit, Dai-ichi Life Holdings and Head of Sustainable Finance, Fellow, Investment Planning Dept., The Dai-ichi Life InsuranceRead bio
CEO of the Value Reporting Foundation and Special Advisor to ISSB ChairRead bio
Technical Director, The Japanese Institute of Certified Public Accountants (JICPA）Read bio
Executive Director, Responsible Investment, IFM InvestorsRead bio
Partner, KPMG AZSA LLCRead bio
App and venue information
Plenary 2: Are Japanese investors and the financial infrastructure ready for a sustainability-minded ‘new capitalism’?
- Key players and initiatives to align policy, regulations, and practices to the sustainable economy vision
- How has JPX’s market restructuring changed the game for corporates and investors?
- Levelling up Japanese investor’s responsible investment practice
Michiyo Morisawa, Senior Lead, Japan, PRI
Senior Lead, Japan, PRIRead bio
Executive Officer, PricewaterhouseCoopers SustainabilityRead bio
Managing Director, Head of Global Research & Design, S&P Dow Jones IndicesRead bio
Managing Director, Head of Stewardship - Responsible Investing, NuveenRead bio
Plenary 3: Building trust and credibility in the sustainable finance industry: How can investors, lenders and service providers be true to their sustainability claims?
- How are European and global investors grappling with SFDR? Is there any similar regulation on the horizon?
- What can be done to avoid green and sustainability wash?
- Engaging and improving transparency in ESG rating methodologies.
Akane Enatsu, Head of Nomura Research Center of Sustainability (NRCS), Nomura Institute of Capital Markets Research (NICMR)
Head of Nomura Research Center of Sustainability (NRCS), Nomura Institute of Capital Markets Research (NICMR)Read bio
Head of Sales, RepRiskRead bio
Special Adviser to the Board, Nippon LifeRead bio
Global Head, Responsible Investment, First Sentier InvestorsRead bio
Director for Strategy Development, Financial Services AgencyRead bio
Stream A-1: Achieving Net-zero in reality: how financial institutions consider carbon pricing and credit
- Price setting: methodologies and their validities.
- What do investors in the hard-to-abate sectors need to look out for?
- The question of real-world impact
Kae Takase, Associate Director, CDP Worldwide-Japan
Associate Director, CDP Worldwide-JapanRead bio
Professor, Faculty of Political Science and Economics, Waseda University, RIETI Faculty FellowRead bio
Director, Environmental Economy Office, Industrial Science and Technology Policy and Environment Bureau, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI)Read bio
Senior Deputy General Manager & Fellow, Asset Management Division, Mitsubishi UFJ Trust and Banking CorporationRead bio
Stream B-1: Pension fund management and ESG
- Evolving ESG related regulations for pension funds in the UK, Australia
- Do ESG and responsible investment help the sustainability of the pension funds themselves?
Keiichi, Fukuyama, Principal Researcher, Research Institute for Polices on Pension & Aging
Stream C-1: Applying a human rights lens to investment
- From theoretical framework to practice: data collection and risk analysis
- A case study of human rights risks in Myanmar and how they translated into the engagement activities
Asako Nagai, Managing Director, BSR
Stream A-2: How investable are the technological innovations for net-zero?
- Who is bearing the cost of the first move, and what is the outlook?
- Hydrogen, carbon capture, ammonia: understanding the efficacy and evaluating investment value.
Miho Kurosaki, Independent Climate Change/ESG Specialist
Stream B-2: ESG in the legal landscape
- How has ESG reshaped stewardship, fiduciary duties, and responsibilities of corporate executives in Japan and globally?
- Lessons learnt from ESG-related litigation cases around the world
Chie Mitsui, Senior Researcher, Data Analyst, Digital Financial Business Planning Department I, Nomura Research Institute
Senior Researcher, Data Analyst, Digital Financial Business Planning Department I, Nomura Research InstituteRead bio
Head of APAC ESG Research, Sustainable FitchRead bio
Head of APAC Policy, PRIRead bio
Legal Advisor to ClientEarth in Japan | Attorney-at-law, admitted in Japan and California, Tokyo Surugadai Law OfficesRead bio
Stream C-2: What is the role of sustainability in fixed income strategies?
- How have green, social, sustainability bonds performed against conventional paper?
- ESG factors to consider when investing in sovereign bonds
- Future of sustainability linked bonds.
Khalid Azizuddin, Senior Reporter, Responsible Investor
Case study: climate portfolio analysis
An in-depth presentation of portfolio analysis and TCFD reporting from an asset owner with commentaries.
Kenji Shiomura, Senior Director, Chief Strategist & Head of ESG Team, GPIF
Round table dialogue: Japan’s sustainable finance experts
- Key discussion topics and afterthoughts from the ministerial expert panels and committees
- What needs to consider next?
Takeshi Mizuguchi, President, Takasaki City University of Economics
Senior Counselor, Japan Research InstituteRead bio
Step-by-step explainer: Investors’ guide to net-zero journey
A leading net-zero asset owner presents their own experience in:
- Gaining internal buy-ins for net-zero
- Analysing portfolio carbon footprint
- Setting decarbonisation strategy
- Engaging with the key players
Bringing up new leaders in sustainable finance
- Expertise, knowledge and human qualities required to develop a successful responsible investment team
- Barriers for the mid-career professionals: opportunity, skill sets, working conditions
- What is the sustainability-conscious youth looking for when they enter the job market?
Arisa Kishigami, Independent Consultant, EnCycleS
RI Japan 2022 - Wednesday 25th
Stream A-3: Sustainability of the Japanese regional economy
- How has the regional economy been considered in the sustainable finance discussion?
- Net-zero transition that is just for the regional economy
- Future visions of the regional financial institutions
Mari Yoshitaka, Principal Sustainability Strategist, Social Impact Partnership Dept., Research & Innovation Division, Mitsubishi UFJ Research and Consulting
Chief Sustainability Officer, Sumitomo Mitsui Trust HoldingsRead bio
General Manager, Division of Vitalising Akita and Regions, Hokuto BankRead bio
Stream B-3: Data challenges of “S”
- Is there enough data to evaluate employees’ health, safety and wellbeing and what has changed since the pandemic?
- The best metrics for diversity, equity and inclusion in the context of Japanese companies
Tamami Ota, Financial & Capital Market Research Dpt. Head of Office of SDGs Research & Consulting, Daiwa Institute of Research
Financial & Capital Market Research Dpt. Head of Office of SDGs Research & Consulting, Daiwa Institute of ResearchRead bio
Chairman, Japan Sustainable Investment ForumRead bio
Senior Manager, Asset Management Division, Mitsubishi UFJ Trust and Banking CorporationRead bio
Director, Corporate Engagement ESG, S&P Global Sustainable1Read bio
Stream C-3: Making a positive impact through investment
- What does the performance of “positive impact investment” look like?
- Tracking and managing impact data
- Leveraging concessional capital for impact investment in developing countries
Maiko Morishita, Programme Manager, Finance Taskforce, IGES
Programme Manager, Finance Taskforce, Institute for Global Environmental Strategies (IGES)Read bio
Co-founder & CEO, CSR Design Green Investment AdvisoryRead bio
CEO, ConvergenceRead bio
Impact Measurement and Management Lead, United Nations Development ProgrammeRead bio
Stream A-4: Sustainable food systems
- Climate change, nutrition, and antibiotics… what are sustainability concerns in the food industry?
- Where should investors allocate their capital and engagement effort to avoid risks and support building a reliable food system locally and globally?
Kaori Fujita, Professor, Graduate School of Life Sciences, Tohoku University
Stream B-4: Disclosure of sustainability information
- How can Japanese domestic disclosure guidelines be aligned with ISSB’s prototype?
- Caveats behind disclosed information around human resources and non-tangible assets?
Ryusuke Ohori, Executive Director, IICEF
Round table dialogue: Chief Financial Officers
CFOs View – missions and challenges
- How has the business of CFOs changed amidst the rise of SDGs, the introduction of the Prime market, mainstreaming of non-financial information disclosure?
- Financial strategies of global corporations and their response to the corporate governance code.
Minako Suematsu, Chairperson, Publisher and President, The Japan Times
Chairperson, Publisher and President, The Japan TimesRead bio
Executive Officer (GRIT), Chief Manager, Sustainability management Office, Development Bank of JapanRead bio
Representative Director, Senior Executive Vice President CFO CCO, AGCRead bio
CFO, Eisai and Visiting Professor, Waseda UniversityRead bio
Stream A-5: How are corporates taking steps to manage biodiversity and nature related risks?
- Acknowledging nature-related issues signalled in the Taskforce on Nature-related Financial Disclosures (TNFD) β version.
- How do corporates consider the nature-related challenges in their sustainability strategy?
Makoto Haraguchi, SVP of Sustainability Section, MS&AD Insurance Group
Stream B-5: Constructive and sustainable relationships between active owners and board of directors
- Is there a clear-cut answer for the board composition and transparency?
- Development of active ownership in Japan
- Would investors ever be able to foresee governance scandals?
- Executive compensation and ESG performance
Showcase: Insights of ESG analysts
Presentations about a specific ESG theme or sector analysis with an ESG perspective by market analysts.
Keynote: From ESG to Impact: Opportunities in sustainable investing
Plenary 4: Revisiting approaches towards transition: roadmap and taxonomy
- How does the EU taxonomy answer questions around transition? The role and expectations of the transitional activities.
- How have the transitional pathways helped progressive investors to engage with companies? What can they tell the Japanese investors?
Reiko Hayashi, Director and Deputy President, BofA Securities Japan, Board Member, ICMA
Economist, WWF European Policy OfficeRead bio
Chief Sustainable Finance Officer, Financial Services Agency, Government of JapanRead bio
Chief Responsible Investment Officer (CRIO), Church of England Pensions BoardRead bio
Plenary 5: Changing the global sustainable finance landscape in the net-zero era
- What happens to benchmarks and passive investment as decarbonisation accelerates?
- Are there going to be more divestment cases as the tension of the climate crisis mount?
- Impact and long-term implication of the standardisation for the sustainable finance industry
- Does the world continue looking to Europe for the leadership of sustainable finance?
Khalid Azizuddin, Senior Reporter, Responsible Investor
Global Head of Sustainable Investment, SchrodersRead bio
Executive Advisor to the CEO, Fuji Oil HoldingsRead bio
Head of Sustainability Research & Stewardship, Allianz Global InvestorsRead bio
President and CEO, Mitsubishi UFJ Trust and Banking Corporation
Chief Executive Officer, First Sentier Investors
Senior Counselor, Japan Research Institute
Vice Minister for International Affairs, Financial Services Agency
Executive Officer, PricewaterhouseCoopers Sustainability
Project Manager, Asia Investor Group on Climate Change
Representative Director, Kamakura Sustainability Institute
Chairman, Japan Sustainable Investment Forum
Professor, Faculty of Political Science and Economics, Waseda University, RIETI Faculty Fellow
Head of Responsible Investment, KLP
Senior Reporter, Responsible Investor
Head of APAC ESG Research, Sustainable Fitch
Global Head of Sustainable and Impact Investing, Allianz Global Investors
Head of Investor Outreach, FAIRR
Head of Nomura Research Center of Sustainability (NRCS), Nomura Institute of Capital Markets Research (NICMR)
Founder and Chief Executive Officer, Anthropocene Fixed Income Institute
Executive Director of Regulatory Policy, Analysis and Advice, The Pension Regulator (TPR)
General Manager Responsible Investment, HESTA
Head of Sales, RepRisk
Executive Officer, General Manager CSV Strategy Department, Kirin Holdings
Professor, Graduate School of Life Sciences, Tohoku University
Principal Researcher, Research Institute for Polices on Pension & Aging
Chairman, DBJ Investment Consulting (Beijing)
Economist, WWF European Policy Office
CEO of the Value Reporting Foundation and Special Advisor to ISSB Chair
Senior Lead, Human Rights, PRI
Executive Officer (GRIT), Chief Manager, Sustainability management Office, Development Bank of Japan
SVP of Sustainability Section, MS&AD Insurance Group
General Manager, Sustainability Management Dept., Marubeni
Director and Deputy President, BofA Securities Japan
Responsible Investment Dept., Dai-ichi Life
Co-founder & CEO, CSR Design Green Investment Advisory
Global Head of Sustainable Investment, Schroders
Chief Sustainable Finance Officer, Financial Services Agency, Government of Japan
Managing Director, Head of Responsible Investment, Nomura Asset Management
Director, Environmental Economy Office, Industrial Science and Technology Policy and Environment Bureau, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI)
Chief Sustainability Officer, Sumitomo Mitsui Trust Holdings
Head of First Sentier MUFG Sustainable Investment Institute
Head of Responsible Investment, Asset Management Business Division, Mitsubishi UFJ Trust and Banking Corporation
Executive Advisor to the CEO, Fuji Oil Holdings
CEO & Co-Founder, Persefoni
Special Adviser to the Board, Nippon Life
Independent Consultant, En-CycleS
Senior Deputy General Manager & Fellow, Asset Management Division, Mitsubishi UFJ Trust and Banking Corporation
Senior Manager, Asset Management Division, Mitsubishi UFJ Trust and Banking Corporation
Independent Climate Change/ESG Specialist
Global Head of Fixed Income, AXA Investment Managers
Managing Director, Head of Global Research & Design, S&P Dow Jones Indices
Director, Corporate Engagement ESG, S&P Global Sustainable1
Professor of Graduate School for Business Administration, Tokyo Metropolitan University
Chief Responsible Investment Officer (CRIO), Church of England Pensions Board
Senior Researcher, Data Analyst, Digital Financial Business Planning Department I, Nomura Research Institute
Representative Director, Senior Executive Vice President CFO CCO, AGC
President, Takasaki City University of Economics
Senior Consultant (Sustainable Investment) WEALTH, Mercer Japan
Technical Director, The Japanese Institute of Certified Public Accountants (JICPA）
Senior Lead, Japan, PRI
Programme Manager, Finance Taskforce, Institute for Global Environmental Strategies (IGES)
Managing Director, BSR
Senior Manager, Climate Change and Sustainability Services, EY Japan
Vice Minister, Ministry of the Environment
Executive Director, Responsible Investment, IFM Investors
Representative Director, Governance for Owners Japan KK
Executive Director, Institutional Investors Collective Engagement Forum
General Manager, Responsible Investment Dept., Dai-ichi Life
Financial & Capital Market Research Dpt. Head of Office of SDGs Research & Consulting, Daiwa Institute of Research
Global Head, Responsible Investment, First Sentier Investors
Managing Director, Head of Stewardship - Responsible Investing, Nuveen
Impact Measurement and Management Lead, United Nations Development Programme
Director, Socially Responsible Investment, Trinity Health
Senior Consultant, Environmental Innovation Group, Sustainability Division, Mitsubishi Research Institute
General Manager, Division of Vitalising Akita and Regions, Hokuto Bank
Partner, KPMG AZSA LLC
Assistant Governor, Bank of Japan
Senior Director, Chief Strategist and Head of ESG Team, GPIF
Chairperson, Publisher and President, The Japan Times
Director for Strategy Development, Financial Services Agency
Associate Director, CDP Worldwide-Japan
Managing Director, 2° Investing Initiative
Managing Director, LRQA Sustainability
Manager, Sustainability Department, JPX
Head of Sustainability Research & Stewardship, Allianz Global Investors
Vice President, APAC ESG & Climate Research, MSCI
Head of APAC Policy, PRI
President & CEO, Tokyo Stock Exchange, Director & Representative Executive Officer, Group COO, Japan Exchange Group
Legal Advisor to ClientEarth in Japan | Attorney-at-law, admitted in Japan and California, Tokyo Surugadai Law Offices
CFO, Eisai and Visiting Professor, Waseda University
Principal Sustainability Strategist, Social Impact Partnership Dept., Research & Innovation Division, Mitsubishi UFJ Research and Consulting
Deputy Head of Global Sustainability, Fellow, Corporate Planning Unit, Dai-ichi Life Holdings and Head of Sustainable Finance, Fellow, Investment Planning Dept., The Dai-ichi Life Insurance
By RI Japan 2022
By RI Japan 2022
By RI Japan 2022
By RI Japan 2022
After two years of successful virtual meetings, RI Japan will be back in person to bring together the Japanese ESG industry leaders once again. Join 400+ attendees in Tokyo for two days of networking and connect with the ESG community.
Meet leaders in sustainable finance
Network with investment professionals, corporates, regulators, and academics who are leading the sustainable finance conversation in Japan.
Network in person in Tokyo
Connect with your peers at plenty of networking breaks, evening drinks reception and roundtable discussions.
Build new connections
Past attendees have included Dai-ichi Life Insurance, GPIF, Japan Post Insurance, Pension Fund Association, Sophia School Corporation, and many more.
Connect with active investors
To help keep you and your peers safe, we require you to follow the Covid principles below to ensure the smooth running of RI Japan 2022.
All attendees must wear a mask at all times. You are not allowed to enter the venue if you observe a high temperature above 37.5 degrees, or symptoms such as sore throat, cough, or severe fatigue. The staff will take the temperature at the entrance using a non-contact thermometer. Please refrain from coming to the venue if you are found to be in close contact with a person who has tested positive for COVID-19.
In addition to the above, please help us by:
- Downloading and using the COVID-19 Contact Confirming Application (COCOA)
- Regularly sanitising hands and surfaces
- Maintaining social distances
- Using event apps to exchange contacts
In case you are not able to attend physically, you can still take part in the conference using the conference app where you can see the live streaming of the plenary sessions.
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Asia Investor Group on Climate Change (AIGCC) Energy Transition Event
9-10am JST, followed by an invite-only, closed-door roundtable session from 10.30 to 12 noon JST
Toranomon Hills Forum and online
The Asia Investor Group on Climate Change (AIGCC) will host an event on the side-lines of Responsible Investor Japan 2022 focused upon Japan’s energy transition. It will aim to involve all stakeholders, but more specifically policymakers, investors, utility companies and other Japanese companies, in order to highlight key issues and new perspectives ahead of the Clean Energy Strategy document scheduled to be released by the Government of Japan in July 2022.
The event will take the format of a general session (from 9 to 10am JST) followed by an invitation only, closed-door roundtable where discussions will be centred around the role of ammonia co-firing and renewables in Japan’s energy transition plans.
Transition to Net-Zero: The Role of Finance and Pathway toward Sustainable Future.
Toranomon Hills Forum and online
Climate change is an urgent issue that must be resolved globally. In order to achieve carbon neutrality, all industries need to make transitions that contribute to achieving the goals of the Paris Agreement. It is also important to properly evaluate these efforts and encourage the mobilization of capital.
Representatives from the financial and industrial sectors as well as government officials, foreign investors and key participants in net-zero private initiatives, are invited to join us for a lively discussion focusing on the transition pathway to net-zero and the role of transitional finance in achieving a sustainable society.