The debt world is evolving as the lending market continues to diversify. Whilst banks still constitute the biggest part of the market, their dominance is decreasing as alternative sources of capital grow. This shift will continue through 2019 as lending from non-traditional sources continues to increase.
The PERE Debt and Finance Forum is your opportunity to connect with Europe’s most active debt fund managers; insurance companies, institutional investors, traditional bank lenders and borrowers as they discuss the biggest trends and latest developments in the real estate debt markets.
This forum is co-located with PERE Europe 2019
PERE has a long-standing history of connecting the private real estate community, providing high-quality content through its objective and in-depth coverage, keeping you abreast of industry movements on a global scale.
Secure your place today to immerse yourself in this insightful market intelligence.
Meet the biggest global debt fund managers and service providers to understand the current real estate financing environment and explore the trends that will influence your debt investment strategies.
Debt Fund Managers
Meet the region’s most insightful investors as they seek to diversify their exposure to debt strategies and hear perspectives on the current industry climate.
Meet with your alternative and traditional lender peers to discover who is lending to which asset type and on what terms. Hear directly from the borrowers to understand how they are approaching leverage, pricing and relationship lending.
PERE Europe 2019 focuses on the strategies that are influencing the market, the deals that are making the headlines, and the people who are driving innovation.
PERE has a long-standing history of connecting the private real estate community, providing content through its objectives and in-depth coverage, keeping you abreast of industry movements on a global scale.
Senior Editor, Real Estate, PEI Media
Editor, Real Estate Capital
Head of Sector Specialists, AXA IM - Real Assets
Head of Real Assets Research, BlackRock Real Assets
Managing Director, Barings
Head of European Real Estate Finance, Allianz Real Estate
Global Co-Head of Real Estate Investing, Goldman Sachs
Managing Director, Fortwell Capital
Executive Director, PGIM Real Estate
Head of Debt and Equity Team, HFF
Managing Partner, DRC Capital
Head of Commercial Property, Octopus Property
Global Research Associate, USAA Real Estate
Director, Eastdil Secured
Global Head of Real Estate, Schroders Real Estate investment Management
Managing Director, Green Street Advisors
Principal, Valor Real Estate Partners
CEO & Co-Founder, CapitalRise
Managing Director, Wells Fargo
Managing Director & Founder, BrickVest
Managing Partner, Real Estate Investments Company
Managing Director, Real Estate Strategy and Fund Management, Aviva Investors Real Assets
Managing Director, Goldman Sachs
SVP and Head of Brookfield’s Real Estate Financing Activity in Europe - Brookfield Asset Management
Chief Strategy Officer, TechSpace
Partner, Katten Muchin Rosenman
Chief Executive Officer, Allianz
Director Sustainable Real Estate Products, ING Real Estate Finance
Day 1 - Tuesday 25th
Registration & networking
Introduction by PERE and welcome from the Chair
UK versus Europe: geopolitics and the post-Brexit investment dilemma
With the continued uncertainty around the outcome of Brexit, are UK investors ready to diversify away from a domestic strategy into a pan-European or global one? And what does Brexit mean for global investors? The depreciation of the pound post-referendum made UK assets cheaper for overseas investors but is this the only reason for investing in the UK or will good quality UK properties continue to provide long-term attractive income returns?
Moderated by: Edward Tran, Partner, Katten Muchin Rosenman
Partner, Katten Muchin RosenmanRead bio
Head of Real Assets Research, BlackRock Real AssetsRead bio
Global Co-Head of Real Estate Investing, Goldman SachsRead bio
Managing Director, Real Estate Strategy and Fund Management, Aviva Investors Real AssetsRead bio
In conversation with
François Trausch will discuss how Allianz became the biggest European institutional investor in real estate and second biggest globally with $48.2 bn of equity committed to private real estate. He will share how Allianz’s real estate platform has grown substantially over the past 3 years and will discuss the rationale behind plans to raise third party capital for the first time in its history to increase the scale of its real estate lending capabilities.
Interviewer: Jonathan Brasse, Senior Editor, PERE
Interviewee: Francois Trausch, Chief Executive Officer, Allianz Real Estate
Coffee & networking
Stream A: Deal Mechanics
- The acquisition of the Algonquin hotels portfolio by Schroders
Speaker: Duncan Owen, Global Head of Real Estate, Schroders Real Estate Investment Management
- Palmer Capital’s 80% stake sale to Fiera Capital
Speaker: Alex Price, Chief Executive Officer, Palmer Capital
Stream B: Capital Formation
Stream C: Debt & Financing
Lunch & networking
European real estate finance market: where are we in the cycle?
- Impact of decrease in quantitative easing combined with rising interest rates across jurisdictions
- European real estate finance in a post-Brexit world: analysing the risks for UK lenders and opportunities for European lenders
- Structuring loans against future uncertainties
- Current availability of debt and financing for core and non-core assets and how risk sharing between lenders and borrowers is changing
Coffee & networking
The investment case for real estate debt funds
- Return expectations, risk profiles and regulatory considerations of investing in debt funds
- Choosing the right strategy: regionally focused versus pan-European debt funds
- Distinguishing between different models: whole loan, senior or mezzanine funds
- Measuring long-term loan performance
Borrowers’ perspective on sourcing debt in today’s crowded market
- How easy is it to secure new acquisition financing/refinancing?
- What do borrowers want from lenders in terms of relationships and structures? Nuances of working with bank vs non-bank lenders
- Managing leverage, deciding how much debt to take and diversifying funding sources
- Considering alternative sources of finance: corporate bonds, corporate finance, fintech, preferred equity
Moderated by: Paul Lucas, Partner, Proskauer
Chair's closing comments
Day 2 - Wednesday 26th
Investor breakfast (by invitation only)
Registration & networking
Welcome from the Chair
The return of the European CMBS market
- From CMBS 1.0 to 2.0: how has the structure evolved?
- Is the comeback sustainable?
- Investor demand for CMBS
- New acquisition finance or refinancing: when to choose CMBS
Development, re-development and major renovation finance
- Overview of the lending activities for development across Europe: LTV versus LTC constraints
- Current risk appetite for development finance: how do traditional and alternative lenders differ?
- Is debt the safest route into developing a build-to-core strategy?
- Securing funding: what do developers need to be able to convince lenders to back them on speculative projects and on what terms?
Coffee & networking
The ‘new’ alternative lenders: how technology is giving rise to innovative financing platforms
- How is the real estate lending landscape changing?
- What and where are the opportunities for investors, developers and asset owners?
- How are new dynamic financing models being regulated? And what happens in a market downturn? Do new models work through a real estate cycle?
- Crowdfunding, marketplace lending, digital lending: how will traditional lenders innovate to stay relevant?
Real estate financing: the role of sustainability
- Innovative financing and investment solutions for environmentally sustainable real estate
- ESG integration into debt funds
- What borrowers want: green loans versus green bonds
- UK and European initiatives to standardise green lending and improve real estate sustainability
Lunch & networking
Consumer driven real estate: retail and logistics
- How retailers can integrate online and physical worlds to enhance the customer experience
- With low yields and high investment volumes: are we entering a logistics bubble?
- UK versus Europe: where to find value in a crowded market
- Improving delivery speed and efficiency: how automation is impacting the logistics market
Workplace: investing in the office of the future
- Flexibility, mobility and adaptability: how office buildings can remain relevant in the future
- The rapid rise of co-working: a short-term phenomenon or is it here to stay?
- Crowd-working, hot-desking, co-working and serviced offices: keeping up with the demands of the modern occupier
- Late-cycle investing: where are the opportunities for growth?
Close of conference
PERE Debt and Finance offers a unique opportunity for organisations to raise their profile by aligning themselves with the information provider for the private real estate industry.
For more information on the available sponsorship opportunities contact:
Christopher Wagland, Business Development – EMEA
E: email@example.com | T: +44 (0) 0207 566 5475