The PERE CFOs & COOs Forum is where senior level executives from private real estate funds convene each year to discuss how best to address the operational challenges they face in scaling an increasingly complex business environment.
Today’s real estate CFO and COO is tasked with financial reporting on an unprecedented number of entities, diverse investment fund structures, expansion into new asset classes, more intensive operational due diligence as well as more pressure to comply with regulatory scrutiny. Balancing the optimum combination of new technologies, more effective digital and analytical tools, outsourced providers, and larger in-house teams is essential to be competitive.
Topics addressed at the 2019 Forum:
- Scaling the organization to more effectively manage growth in AUM and complexity
- LP perspective on transparency, operational due diligence and financial reporting
- Operational challenges in raising and managing real estate debt funds
- Update on tax efficient structures to accommodate foreign and tax-exempt investors
- How to leverage outsourced providers to gain efficiency
- Managing asset level and fund leverage
- Big Data: cross functional approach to optimize competitiveness
- Update on hot button SEC issues specific to real estate
Download the PERE CFOs & COOs Forum brochure
Actionable intelligence & peer-to-peer networking
Meet with CFOs, COOs, SVPs, VPs, Directors & Controllers in private real estate to leverage their experience and learn best practices.
The latest tax and accounting updates
Hear about how recent tax and accounting changes will impact private real estate fund structuring for foreign investors.
Up to 12 CPE credits
Bolster your career with Continuing Professional Education credits. PEI is registered with NASBA as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors.
I like the fact that it is specifically tailored to PERE and has attendees facing the same issues as you.
An excellent forum targeted to the specific needs of finance and operations professionals supporting the real estate industry. Insightful and relevant topics th…
I think this is a must attend conference for CFOs in the PERE space. Our world is small and this was an excellent networking opportunity.
An excellent forum targeted to the specific needs of finance and operations professionals supporting the real estate industry. Insightful and relevant topics throughout.
Interested in speaking at the 2020 Forum? Please contact Kwame Campbell at 646-356-4520 or email@example.com
Day 1 - Wednesday 29th
Registration and breakfast
Women's leadership breakfast
PEI welcome & chairman’s introduction
Keynote panel | View from the top
As their roles continue to evolve at unprecedented rate, today CFOs and COOs have become important agents of change within their organizations, spearheading strategic initiatives and driving innovation at every level. Hear from these industry leaders and learn what they are doing to scale growth, leverage opportunities, and navigate obstacles during these complex and challenging times.
- How are you utilizing technology to increase operational efficiencies?
- What is your firm doing in terms of preparing for an economic downturn?
- How much are you investing in human capital and where have you identified the greatest need?
- How are you responding to ongoing regulatory/ tax developments?
- How is your firm responding to increased investor interest in co-investment opportunities?
- What are the opportunities and challenges lie ahead for the industry?
Panel | Geopolitical and macroeconomic factors impacting the real estate industry
Hear from top economists as they discuss the implications of a possible downturn, explore major geopolitical events, and identify key macroeconomic factors impacting the real estate industry. The topics will include but are not limited to the following:
- Trade wars
- 2020 Elections
- Labor shortage
- End of LIBOR/ Introduction of SOFR
- US Housing Crisis
- E-commerce and the technology effect
Networking coffee break
Panel | Cross-border investments: building globally by thinking locally
- Understand the unique set of financial and operational challenges
- Finding talent and building the right team
- Navigating complex tax structures and cross-border regulations
- The need for local expertise and finding the right strategic partners
- How effective is your firm executing operational due diligence?
Panel | The meteoric rise of debt funds and direct lending
- What are the greatest challenges when embarking on a debt strategy?
- How is a debt platform operationally different?
- What are the risks and rewards associated a debt strategy?
- Is there a downside? Late-cycle market, lack of covenants, overall deterioration of credit, etc.
- Why are more and more lenders entering riskier territory?
Workshop A | Navigating and finding opportunities in the middle market
- How is widespread consolidation impacting the industry? Survival of the fittest?
- How firms are repositioning themselves to better source and execute deals?
- Why are niche investment strategies are growing in popularity? What are the risks and rewards?
- Recruiting and retaining talent in a highly competitive market
- Diversified generalist vs sector specialist approach to investing
Workshop B | Merger & acquisitions: working towards integration
2019 marked another banner year for private equity real estate in terms of merger and acquisitions as the industry witnessed several historic entity level deals. This session will address the real challenges and pain points that often accompany M&A deals.
Networking coffee break
Panel | State of the industry: what's trending in alternative fund structures
Join us for an in-depth look at real estate funds and discover the latest trends impacting the industry. Learn what type of fund structures are currently in and out of favor. Understand the increasing complexity and nuances of new fund structures as well as what you need to know regarding SEC regulations.
- Are firms simply chasing yields or undergoing a fundamental shift in strategy?
- What fund structures offer greater liquidity?
- Address the need for greater transparency in the midst of increasingly complex fund structures.
- What has been the industry response to recent developments with ODCE funds?
- Hear directly from the industry experts using the latest in alternative fund structures including interval funds, hybrid funds, non-traded REITs, etc.
Panel | Dealmaking: co-investing, joint ventures, and collaborative models
- How are collaborative models better serving the needs of LPs and other major stakeholders?
- Are GP’s still putting skin in the game when entering a co-investment opportunity? Is this a deterrent for investors?
- Growing prevalence of non-fund structures
- What kind of financial reporting and frequency is expected from investors?
- What are the types of fee structures under these new collaborative models?
Networking cocktail reception and end of day one
Day 2 - Thursday 30th
CFO & COO Think Tank (invitation only)
This is an exclusive, off the record breakfast roundtable for CFOs and COOs to address common challenges and concerns around the evolving operating model.
Registration and networking breakfast
Chairman’s opening remarks
Conversation with SEC regarding its heightened scrutiny of the private equity industry in recent years and address hot button topics such as its highly controversial plan to open the private market to retail investors.
Panel | Data privacy and cybersecurity update
- Mitigating risks associated with the new privacy laws (CCPA, GDPR) including fines, litigation, and potential class action suits
- Discover why certain asset classes are more at risk than others
- Evaluate the internal controls, third party oversight, and tactics needed for an effective cybersecurity strategy
- Understand SEC expectations and how to satisfy them.
- How these new laws are impacting the bottom line?
Panel | Reporting standards
Hear directly from the leading associations and learn about the hot topics impacting reporting standards.
Panel | Under pressure investing in ESG
- Discover how ESG is becoming a numbers game and major concern for CFO’s and COO’s?
- Hear best practices from firms with robust ESG policies
- Learn about the performance metrics and standards used to evaluate ESG
- Can ESG result in enhanced income and returns?
Networking luncheon & end of conference
Interested in speaking at the 2020 Forum? Please contact Kwame Campbell at 646-356-4520 firstname.lastname@example.org
Director of Tax, PGIM Real Estate
Chief Financial Officer, Dune Real Estate Partners
Principal, OPZ Bernstein
Chief Financial Officer, Bridge Investment Group
Senior Reporter, PERE
Partner, Ropes & Gray LLP
Managing Director, Head of Finance – Americas, Nuveen Real Estate
Chief Financial Officer, Round Hill Capital
Chief Financial Officer, ACORE Capital
Senior Vice President, Manager of Portfolio Accounting, Shorenstein Realty Services, L.P
Associate Partner, McKinsey & Company
Senior Managing Director, State Street Global Services and Global Head of Product Management for Private Equity & Real Estate Fund Services, State Street
Principal, Heidrick & Struggles
Chief Operating Officer, US Real Assets, BlackRock
Chair, NCREIF PREA Reporting Standards
Chief Operating Officer, icapital Network
Global Director, Accounting & Reporting Services, CBRE
Chief Operating Officer & Senior Managing Director, Square Mile Capital Management
Managing Director, Morgan Stanley Real Assets
Managing Director, Chief Financial Officer, Madison International Realty
Managing Director, Head of Asset Management, Pembrook Capital Management
Regulatory Counsel, US Securities and Exchange Commission
Chief Executive Officer, NAREIM
Director of IT, Madison International Realty
Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer, GID
Co-Founder, GreenOak Real Estate
Managing Director and Chief Compliance Officer, Annaly Capital Management, Inc.
Managing Director Alternative Investments, Vistra
General Counsel, Cadre
Vice President, Brookfield Asset Management
US Head of Operations & Finance, AXA Investment Managers – Real Assets
Managing Director, CFO Real Estate Funds, Brookfield’s Property Group
National Audit Leader - US Building, Construction & Real Estate Practice, US Real Estate Funds Leade, KPMG LLP
Chief Financial Officer and Deputy Chief Operating Officer, EJF Capital
Managing Director, PGIM Real Estate
Director, Garrison Investment Group
Manager-Head of Real Estate Consulting, AltaReturn
Chief Financial Officer, JCR Capital
Managing Director- Portfolio Management & Investor Relations, Crow Holdings Capital
Managing Director and Global Head of Compliance, Blackstone
Chief Financial Officer, Harbor Group International
Partner, StepStone Real Estate
Partner, Co-Chair Fund Finance Group, Haynes and Boone, LLP
Industry Principal, Investment Management, Yardi Systems
Head of North America Investment Performance Reporting & Analysis, LaSalle Investment Management, Inc.
Managing Director, Fixed Income, Morgan Stanley
Chief Operating Officer, GreenOak Real Estate
2020 Advisory Board
Founding Partner, CFO and Portfolio Manager, Longpoint Realty Partners
Managing Director and Head of Finance, Americas, Nuveen
EVP & Chief Financial Officer, Tricon Capital Group Inc
Chief Operating Officer, Veritas Investments
Partner, PCCP, LLC
For exclusive sponsorship packages for 2020, contact Cristiana Crocco at 646-921-0923 or email@example.com.