PEI Media has been working with our teams, clients and suppliers to monitor the impact of the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. As part of this review, we have made the very difficult decision to cancel the PERE CFOs & CFOs Forum, scheduled to take place October 19-20 at the Convene, 730 Third Avenue.
We apologize for any inconvenience caused, but as always, the safety and health of our participants, community and staff are our priority and we feel this is the best option. If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com
To view our terms and conditions, click here.
PERE CFOs & COOs is a premier event that brings together CFOs, COOs, CCOs, tax and accounting officers, controllers, treasurers, and other major stakeholders within the real estate investment community for a comprehensive look at the latest in fundraising, accounting, best practices, compliance, and technology, in addition to addressing the most pressing issues and hot button topics impacting the industry.
Today’s real estate CFO and COO is tasked with financial reporting on an unprecedented number of entities, diverse investment fund structures, expansion into new asset classes, more intensive operational due diligence as well as more pressure to comply with regulatory scrutiny. Balancing the optimum combination of new technologies, more effective digital and analytical tools, outsourced providers, and larger in-house teams is essential to be competitive.
- Geopolitical and macroeconomic factors impacting the real estate industry
- Cross-border investments: building globally by thinking locally
- State of the industry: what’s trending in alternative fund structures
- Navigating and finding opportunities in the middle market
- Merger & acquisitions: working towards integration
- Data privacy and cybersecurity update
- Under pressure investing in ESG
- SEC update
- The meteoric rise of debt funds and direct lending
Global Chief Operating Officer, Nuveen Real Estate
Reisa is a Global Chief Operating Officer for Nuveen Real Estate. Located in the firm’s Charlotte, North Carolina office, she leads investment governance and operations, supports the planning, coordination and execution of U.S. business process and initiatives. Reisa is a member of the Global Executive Leadership and the Americas Executive Leadership teams and also serves as the chief of staff to the head of Nuveen Real Estate, Americas and is the central point of contact for senior leaders.
Download the PERE CFOs & COOs Forum brochure
Keynote Fireside Chat
Reisa Bryan, Global Chief Operating Officer, Nuveen
Keynote panel | CFOs & COOs: The Agents of Change
Angelo Gordon, Dune Real Estate Partners, Harrison Street, Invesco Real Estate and Private Markets, and Thor Equities
Special Presentation “Geopolitical and macroeconomic factors impacting the real estate industry”
Spencer Levy, Chairman, Americas Research & Senior Economic Advisor, CBRE
Actionable intelligence & peer-to-peer networking
Meet with CFOs, COOs, SVPs, VPs, Directors & Controllers in private real estate to leverage their experience and learn best practices.
The latest tax and accounting updates
Hear about how recent tax and accounting changes will impact private real estate fund structuring for foreign investors.
Up to 12 CPE credits
Bolster your career with Continuing Professional Education credits. PEI is registered with NASBA as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors.
I like the fact that it is specifically tailored to PERE and has attendees facing the same issues as you.
An excellent forum targeted to the specific needs of finance and operations professionals supporting the real estate industry. Insightful and relevant topics th…
I think this is a must attend conference for CFOs in the PERE space. Our world is small and this was an excellent networking opportunity.
An excellent forum targeted to the specific needs of finance and operations professionals supporting the real estate industry. Insightful and relevant topics throughout.
Day 1 - Monday 19th
Women's leadership breakfast
Registration and breakfast
PEI welcome & chairman’s introduction
Keynote panel | CFOs & COOs: The agents of change
In a market where financial oversight and operational efficiency matter most, CFOs and COOs today are important agents of change within their organizations, spearheading strategic initiatives, driving innovation, and protecting the firm’s assets and employees. Hear from these dynamic leaders and learn what they are doing to overcome challenges, navigate obstacles, and unlock opportunities during turbulent times.
- What are your top priorities during an economic downturn?
- Where are you allocating your time and resources given current market conditions?
- How imperative is it for CFO’s and COO’s to assume a leadership role both strategically and tactically?
- What safeguards were in place prior to the downturn? Are they working? What would you change?
- What have been the biggest challenges in terms of financial oversight and operational efficiency?
- How is your firm responding to LPs and other major stakeholders?
Darren Berk, Chief Financial Officer, Dune Real Estate Partners LP
Melissa Gliatta, Chief Operating Officer, Thor Equities
Stephen Gordon, Chief Financial Officer & General Counsel, Harrison Street Real Estate Capital
Mark Maduras, Chief Operating Officer and Chief Financial Officer, Angelo Gordon
Beth Zayicek, Chief Operating Officer, Invesco Real Estate & Private Markets
Chief Financial Officer. Dune Real Estate Partners LPRead bio
COO, Thor Equities, LLCRead bio
General Counsel and Chief Financial Officer, Harrison StreetRead bio
Chief Operating Officer & Chief Financial Officer, Real Estate & Private Equity, Angelo GordonRead bio
Chief Operating Officer, Invesco Real Estate & Private MarketsRead bio
Special presentation | Geopolitical, macroeconomic, and black swan events
Hear from leading economist Spencer Levy who will discuss the catastrophic and unprecedented impact of COV-19 and related events on the real estate industry and world economy.
Spencer Levy,Chairman, Americas Research & Senior Economic Advisor, CBRE
Networking coffee break
Panel | Cross-border investments: Building globally by thinking locally
- Understand the unique set of financial and operational challenges
- Address the challenge of finding talent, building the right team, and managing operations on a global scale
- Navigating complex tax structures and cross-border regulations
- Why CFIUS and other government measures might be an issue?
- The need for local expertise and finding the right strategic partners
- Discussion about operational due diligence, investor expectations, and reporting
Daniel Abramoff, Director of Tax, PGIM Real Estate
Dino Christoforakis, Head of Transactions, North America, AFIAA
Wissam Francis, EVP and Chief Financial Officer, Tricon Capital
Matthew Scholl, Executive Director, Union Investment
Panel | Re-thinking real estate debt funds and direct lending
- How are you dealing with the downside? Late-cycle market, lack of covenants, interest rates, etc.
- How is a debt platform operationally different? Avoiding conflicts of interest
- What are the risks and rewards associated with a debt strategy?
- Why are more and more lenders entering riskier territory?
- How much will bankruptcies and defaults impact your current business model
Raphael Fishbach, Managing Director, Mesa West Capital
Joseph Iacono, Chief Executive Officer and Managing Partner, Crescit Capital Strategies
Leigh Roumila, Chief Operating Officer, Managing Director, Basis Investment Group
Workshop A | Standing out in a crowded middle market and carving a niche with investors
- How are market uncertainty, widespread consolidation, and heightened competition impacting the middle market?
- What are firms doing to differentiate themselves and attract investors?
- How firms are repositioning themselves to sustain operations, better source deals, and increase operational efficiency?
- Understand why niche investment strategies are growing in popularity? What are the risks and rewards?
Nilesh Bubna, Chief Financial Officer, Longpoint Realty
Mitch Melfi, Chief Financial Officer, Drake Real Estate Partners
Workshop B | Dealmaking: Co-Investing, joint ventures, and collaborative models
- Are LPs, GPs, family offices, and other major stakeholders more likely to pursue collaborative models better given current market conditions?
- What are the benefits and deterrents for investors?
- Examine the growing prevalence of non-fund structures
- What kind of financial reporting and frequency is expected from investors?
- What are the types of fee structures under these new collaborative models?
Patrick Connell, L&L Holdings, Managing Director & Head of Capital Raising
Networking coffee break
Panel | State of the industry: What's trending in alternative fund structures
Join us for an in-depth look at real estate funds and discover the latest trends impacting the industry. Learn what type of fund structures are currently in and out of favor. Understand the increasing complexity and nuances of new fund structures as well as what you need to know regarding SEC regulations.
- Hear directly from the industry experts using the latest in alternative fund structures including interval funds, hybrid funds, hedge funds, non-traded REITs, etc.
- Are firms simply chasing yields or undergoing a fundamental shift in strategy?
- What fund structures offer greater liquidity?
- Address the need for greater transparency in the midst of increasingly complex fund structures.
- What has been the industry response to recent developments including ODCE funds?
Kate Davis, President, Broadstone
Hans DeWitte, Chief Financial Officer, Prospect Bridge
Anthony Ross, Managing Director, State Street
Jeff Taylor, Chief Operations Officer, Black Creek Group
President & Portfolio Manager, Broadstone Real Estate Access FundRead bio
Managing Director and Chief Financial Officer, Prospect RidgeRead bio
Managing Director, State Street CorporationRead bio
Managing Director, Chief Operating Officer, Black Creek GroupRead bio
Panel| Under pressure investing in ESG
- Discover how ESG is becoming a numbers game and major concern for CFO’s and COO’s?
- Hear best practices from firms with robust ESG policies
- Learn about the performance metrics and standards used to evaluate ESG
- Can ESG result in enhanced income and returns?
- How smaller firms are responding to ESG?
- When is ESG a dealbreaker for investors?
Christopher Cayten, Senior Director, Strategic Growth, LEED AP, CodeGreen Solutions
Lisa Davis, Executive Director and Portfolio Manager, Impact Investing, PGIM Real Estate
Lauren Zullo, Director of Environmental Impact, Jonathan Rose Companies
Panel| The end of the cycle: Spotlight on distressed and opportunistic real estate
As the market continues to be dominated by major upheavals and volatility, distressed and opportunistic real estate has taken center stage. Likewise, many of the most active players in this category are seasoned veterans of previous market downturns, and, as such, are well positioned to take advantage of market dislocation.
- Building an event driven strategy, deploying capital, and managing risk during a downturn
- Review different scenarios including bankruptcy, refinancing, post-restructured equity, and liquidations
- Avoiding financial and operational pitfalls
- Where is capital being deployed and why?
- What role does a track record and expertise play in distinguishing firms
- What is the CFO and COO role in keeping operations nimble in order to evaluate opportunities, perform due diligence, and execute deals?
Dave Ray, Chief Operating Officer & General Counsel, Stabilis Capital Management
Lewis Schwartz, Chief Operating Officer, Contrarian Capital Management
Networking cocktail reception and end of day one
Day 2 - Tuesday 20th
CFO & COO Think Tank (invitation only)
This is an exclusive, off the record breakfast roundtable for CFOs and COOs to address common challenges and concerns.
Registration and networking breakfast
Chairman’s opening remarks
SEC update: Bold moves and sweeping changes in the industry
Conversation with the SEC regarding its heightened scrutiny of the private equity industry in recent years, address hot button topics, and its response to COVID-19.
Fireside Chat with Reisa Bryan, Global Chief Operating Officer, Nuveen Real Estate
Workshop A | Data privacy and cybersecurity: Is your firm at risk?
- Mitigating risks associated with the new privacy laws (CCPA, GDPR) including fines, litigation, and potential class action suits
- Discover why certain asset classes are more at risk than others
- Evaluate the internal controls, third party oversight, and tactics needed for an effective cybersecurity strategy
- Understand SEC expectations and how to satisfy them.
- How these new laws are impacting the bottom line?
Workshop B | Leveraging technology and building an optimal data strategy
Join us for a candid conversation with leading private equity and technology firms about the increased demand for data, reporting, and transparency.
- Understand the labyrinth of barriers firms face when trying to meet the data challenge
- Gain actionable insights into portfolio performance, research, and reporting
- Examine the shift towards data-based decisions
- Discover how firms are using technology to streamline processes and maximize operational efficiencies.
- Opportunity to hear directly from firms using the latest in technology
Panel | Global reporting standards: The growing need for transparency and comparability
Hear directly from the leading associations and learn about the hot topics impacting reporting standards.
- What are the latest NCREIF PREA reporting standards?
- What are investor expectations in the current market, and how has this affected the investor reporting process?
- What degree of transparency are institutional investors looking for, and how do you manage those demands?
- How quickly is your firm able to respond to LP data requests? Are on-demand capabilities needed?
Neal Armstrong, Director, BNY Mellon
John Caurso, Managing Director & Head of Finance, Americas, Nuveen
Networking luncheon & end of conference
Director of Tax, PGIM Real Estate
Director, BNY Mellon
Chief Financial Officer. Dune Real Estate Partners LP
Managing Director, Global Chief Operating Officer, Nuveen Real Estate
Founding Partner, CFO and Portfolio Manager, Longpoint Realty Partners
Managing Director & Head of Finance, Americas, Nuveen Real Estate
Senior Director, Strategic Growth, LEED AP, CodeGreen Solutions
Head of Transactions, North America, AFIAA
Managing Director & Head of Capital Raising, L & L Holding Company, LLC
President & Portfolio Manager, Broadstone Real Estate Access Fund
Executive Director and Portfolio Manager, Impact Investing, PGIM Real Estate
Managing Director and Chief Financial Officer, Prospect Ridge
Principal, Mesa West
EVP & Chief Financial Officer, Tricon Capital Group Inc
COO, Thor Equities, LLC
General Counsel and Chief Financial Officer, Harrison Street
Senior Reporter, PERE
Chairman, Americas Research & Senior Economic Advisor, CBRE
Chief Operating Officer & Chief Financial Officer, Real Estate & Private Equity, Angelo Gordon
Chief Financial Officer, Drake Real Estate Partners
Senior Special Counsel, US Securities and Exchange Commission
Chief Operating Officer & General Counsel, Stabilis Capital Management
Managing Director, State Street Corporation
Chief Operating Officer, Agency Multifamily Finance and Managing Director, Basis Investment Group
Executive Director, Head of Investment Management Americas, Union Investments
Chief Operating Officer, Contrarian Capital Management
Northeast Director of Sales, Global Solutions Yardi
Managing Director, Chief Operating Officer, Black Creek Group
Chief Operating Officer, Invesco Real Estate & Private Markets
Director, Environmental Impact, Jonathan Rose Companies
2020 Advisory Board
Founding Partner, CFO and Portfolio Manager, Longpoint Realty Partners
Managing Director and Head of Finance, Americas, Nuveen
EVP & Chief Financial Officer, Tricon Capital Group Inc
Chief Operating Officer, Thor Equities Group
Chief Executive Officer, NAREIM
Chief Operating Officer, Veritas Investments
Chief Financial Officer, Stockbridge
Managing Director, Crow Holdings Capital
Partner, PCCP, LLC
For exclusive sponsorship packages for 2020, contact Cristiana Crocco at 646-921-0923 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Event venue & hotel accommodations
CPE credits available
Bolster your career with Continuing Professional Education credits. PEI is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit.