The PERE CFOs & COOs Forum is where senior level executives from private real estate funds convene each year to discuss how best to address the operational challenges they face in scaling an increasingly complex business environment.
Today’s real estate CFO and COO is tasked with financial reporting on an unprecedented number of entities, diverse investment fund structures, expansion into new asset classes, more intensive operational due diligence as well as more pressure to comply with regulatory scrutiny. Balancing the optimum combination of new technologies, more effective digital and analytical tools, outsourced providers, and larger in-house teams is essential to be competitive.
Topics addressed at the 2019 Forum:
- Scaling the organization to more effectively manage growth in AUM and complexity
- LP perspective on transparency, operational due diligence and financial reporting
- Operational challenges in raising and managing real estate debt funds
- Update on tax efficient structures to accommodate foreign and tax-exempt investors
- How to leverage outsourced providers to gain efficiency
- Managing asset level and fund leverage
- Big Data: cross functional approach to optimize competitiveness
- Update on hot button SEC issues specific to real estate
Download the PERE CFOs & COOs Forum brochure
Actionable intelligence & peer-to-peer networking
Meet with CFOs, COOs, SVPs, VPs, Directors & Controllers in private real estate to leverage their experience and learn best practices.
The latest tax and accounting updates
Hear about how recent tax and accounting changes will impact private real estate fund structuring for foreign investors.
Up to 12 CPE credits
Bolster your career with Continuing Professional Education credits. PEI is registered with NASBA as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors.
I like the fact that it is specifically tailored to PERE and has attendees facing the same issues as you.
An excellent forum targeted to the specific needs of finance and operations professionals supporting the real estate industry. Insightful and relevant topics th…
I think this is a must attend conference for CFOs in the PERE space. Our world is small and this was an excellent networking opportunity.
An excellent forum targeted to the specific needs of finance and operations professionals supporting the real estate industry. Insightful and relevant topics throughout.
2020 agenda coming soon!
Interested in speaking at the 2020 Forum? Please contact Kwame Campbell at 646-356-4520 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Day 1 - Tuesday 7th
Registration and breakfast
Women in real estate networking breakfast (invitation only)
PEI welcome & chairman’s introduction
Keynote CFOs and COOs panel: Scaling your organization for growth and managing operating complexity
- How are fund managers improving efficiency and scalability through digital and analytical tools?
- How do you drive the conversations re appropriate staffing with the GPs?
- Benchmarking ratios of investment professionals to operations staff per AUM
- How can you achieve economies of scale across finance, operations, human resources and compliance?
- Can you add more efficiency with investment in in-house systems or leveraging outsourced providers?
Zoe Hughes, CEO, NAREIM
Laurie "LG" Golub
Chief Operating Officer & Senior Managing Director, Square Mile Capital ManagementRead bio
Managing Director, Morgan Stanley Real AssetsRead bio
Hisham A. Kader
Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer, GIDRead bio
Global Director, Accounting & Reporting Services, CBRERead bio
Recognized as a leader in the private equity real estate industry for 28 years and co-founder of GreenOak in 2010, Sonny will share his insights on how the current wave of real estate M&A reflects the evolution of the private equity real estate industry. He will be joined onstage by his Chief Operating Officer, Andrew Yoon to discuss the strategic role of the COO throughout the M&A process from due diligence through to business integration.
Evelyn Lee, News Editor, PERE
Networking coffee break
Panel: Accessing alternative sources of capital
- Non-traded REITS
- Developing a retail channel to reach high net worth individuals via RIAs
- Exploring permanent capital and open-ended fund structures
- Strategic and operational challenges
Cesar Estrada, Sr. Managing Director, Global Head of Product Management for PE & Real Assets Fund Services, State Street Corporation
Panel | Operational considerations when bolting on a real estate credit strate
- Challenges of integrating new teams and technology systems
- Do they look different operationally?
- Addressing allocation, conflicts of interest and compliance issues
- Using technology for deal flow and monitoring loans
Evelyn Lee, News Editor, PERE
Workshop A | Preparing for an SEC exam – best practices for private real estate fund managers
Workshop B | Tax structuring for non-US based investors
- Implications of anticipated PATH Act clarification
- Impact of recent trends/changes in tax law on structures for foreign investors
- How internal tax departments bring value and add to the fund raising process
Ian Petropoulos, Tax Partner, KPMG
Networking coffee break
Panel | Update on hot topics from NCREIF PREA Reporting Standards
- Impact of 2020 GIPS on real estate
- Changes in valuation standards for closed-end funds
- Final release of global fee and expense metrics
- Real estate application of the ILPA reporting template
Kyle Campbell, Senior Reporter, PERE
Panel | Opportunity Zones
- Deciphering the rules around tax incentives
- Insights into whether the program aligns with investment strategy and investor base
- Logistical implications for finance and operations team
Philip Marra, National Audit Leader – US Building, Construction & Real Estate Practice, US Real Estate Funds Leade, KPMG LLP
Networking cocktail reception and end of day one
Day 2 - Wednesday 8th
CFO & COO Think Tank (invitation only)
This is an exclusive, off the record breakfast roundtable for CFOs and COOs to address common challenges and concerns around the evolving operating model.
Registration and networking breakfast
Chairman’s opening remarks
Panel | Leveraging Technology to more effectively manage data across the organization
- Apply technology to diligence on prospective deals
- How real estate companies are using technologies to gain an edge?
- Investor reporting dynamics – level of transparency and information that are required by investors
- How do you balance the organization’s requirements and demands of the LPs?
- Transactional volume – tools to track, monitor and calculate performance
- Prioritizing technology implementations
- Hiring a senior level technologist or relying on external advisors
Zoe Hughes, CEO, NAREIM
Panel | Optimizing value of outsourced relationships
- Key considerations when migrating to an outsourced model
- Integrating an outsourced model with your in-house resources
- Challenges of fund administrators, finance teams working together with operating partners
Cyndy Silverthorn, Managing Director- Portfolio Management & Investor Relations, Crow Holdings Capital
Panel | Effectively managing LP co-investment, SMAs and other complex fund structures
- Best practices around communications regarding LP co-investment preferences
- How do separate accounts and co-investments fit into growing complexity of fund structures?
- Building LP co-investment structures into the Limited Partner Agreement
- Addressing financial reporting and allocation challenges
- How to effectively leverage co-investment opportunities to raise fund capital?
Adam Handwerker, Managing Director, Hodes Weill & Associates
Panel | Attracting, managing and incentivizing staff
- Differentiation of your firm as an employer of choice
- Finding talent with technology skills and real estate experience
- Staying competitive with compensation and benefits
- Creating a career path for junior professionals
- Annual review process
Lisa Fu, Americas reporter, PERE
Networking luncheon & end of conference
Interested in speaking at the 2020 Forum? Please contact Kwame Campbell at 646-356-4520 email@example.com
Director of Tax, PGIM Real Estate
Chief Financial Officer, Dune Real Estate Partners
Principal, OPZ Bernstein
Chief Financial Officer, Bridge Investment Group
Senior Reporter, PERE
Partner, Ropes & Gray LLP
Managing Director, Head of Finance – Americas, Nuveen Real Estate
Chief Financial Officer, Round Hill Capital
Chief Financial Officer, ACORE Capital
Senior Vice President, Manager of Portfolio Accounting, Shorenstein Realty Services, L.P
Associate Partner, McKinsey & Company
Senior Managing Director, State Street Global Services and Global Head of Product Management for Private Equity & Real Estate Fund Services, State Street
Principal, Heidrick & Struggles
Chief Operating Officer, US Real Assets, BlackRock
Chair, NCREIF PREA Reporting Standards
Chief Operating Officer, icapital Network
Global Director, Accounting & Reporting Services, CBRE
Chief Operating Officer & Senior Managing Director, Square Mile Capital Management
Managing Director, Morgan Stanley Real Assets
Managing Director, Chief Financial Officer, Madison International Realty
Managing Director, Head of Asset Management, Pembrook Capital Management
Regulatory Counsel, US Securities and Exchange Commission
Chief Executive Officer, NAREIM
Director of IT, Madison International Realty
Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer, GID
Co-Founder, GreenOak Real Estate
Managing Director and Chief Compliance Officer, Annaly Capital Management, Inc.
Managing Director Alternative Investments, Vistra
General Counsel, Cadre
Vice President, Brookfield Asset Management
US Head of Operations & Finance, AXA Investment Managers – Real Assets
Managing Director, CFO Real Estate Funds, Brookfield’s Property Group
National Audit Leader - US Building, Construction & Real Estate Practice, US Real Estate Funds Leade, KPMG LLP
Chief Financial Officer and Deputy Chief Operating Officer, EJF Capital
Managing Director, PGIM Real Estate
Director, Garrison Investment Group
Manager-Head of Real Estate Consulting, AltaReturn
Chief Financial Officer, JCR Capital
Managing Director- Portfolio Management & Investor Relations, Crow Holdings Capital
Managing Director and Global Head of Compliance, Blackstone
Chief Financial Officer, Harbor Group International
Partner, StepStone Real Estate
Partner, Co-Chair Fund Finance Group, Haynes and Boone, LLP
Industry Principal, Investment Management, Yardi Systems
Head of North America Investment Performance Reporting & Analysis, LaSalle Investment Management, Inc.
Managing Director, Fixed Income, Morgan Stanley
Chief Operating Officer, GreenOak Real Estate
2020 Advisory Board
Founding Partner, CFO and Portfolio Manager, Longpoint Realty Partners
Managing Director and Head of Finance, Americas, Nuveen
EVP & Chief Financial Officer, Tricon Capital Group Inc
Chief Operating Officer, Veritas Investments
Partner, PCCP, LLC
For exclusive sponsorship packages for 2020, contact Cristiana Crocco at 646-921-0923 or firstname.lastname@example.org.