The only European event specifically dedicated to anyone concerned with the world of private equity portfolio operational assessment and value creation.
The Forum provides a unique opportunity to hear from experienced operating partners and C-level executives on how they deliver value creation strategies, create top-line growth and drive EBITDA improvement in their portfolio.
Attendees will have extensive opportunities to network, build relationships and compare best practices with their peers from leading PE firms, expert service providers, CEOs of portfolio companies and many more.
Network with and hear from more operating partners than ever before throughout the event and have an open discussion with your peers at the closed door, operating partners only think tank.
A more outward-looking agenda focused on the views of CEOs and deal partners and their work with operating partners.
Exclusive for 2019
Discussion of evolving topic areas such as hiring data scientists within your value enhancement team, using digital to add value, the rise of the chief people officer and much more.
2018 Attendees included
Managing Partner & CEO, BM&T
This is now the must-attend event for Operating Partners in the UK if not Europe. An excellent opportunity to catch up with the latest thinking and to network w…
Partner, Drax Executive
A great event for connecting with Operating Partners and their colleagues from across the PE spectrum
Principal, African Capital Alliance
The forum addressed practical challenges facing the Operating Partner and provided very useful insights on best practice approaches to value creation
Managing Partner & CEO, BM&T
This is now the must-attend event for Operating Partners in the UK if not Europe. An excellent opportunity to catch up with the latest thinking and to network with peers
Senior Director - Portfolio Support, APS Advisory
Head of Portfolio Board Development, Advent International
Director, Marlin Equity Partners
Partner | Operational Transaction Services UK&I, EY
Senior Managing Director, LBO France
Managing Partner, Blue Ridge Partners
Private Equity Advisor, Efficio
Operating Partner, Metro AG
Vice President, Industry Value Creation, Partners Group
Partner, Ambienta Sgr
Executive Director, EzeCastle Integration
Managing Director – Digital, Alix Partners
Principal, Alexander Group, Inc
Managing Director – Europe, Sales Benchmark Index
Operating Partner, AVEDON GmbH
Operating Executive, Silver Lake
Principal - Head of Data Analytics, Hg Capital
Value Strategy Team, Livingbridge
Managing Director and Chief Information Officer, Carlyle Group
Associate Director - European Technology fund, Carlyle Group
Senior Director – Human Capital, PSP Investments
Human Capital Operating Partner, Blue Wolf Capital Partners
Partner, Portfolio Management - Graphite Capital
Managing Partner, Procura
Senior Principal - Private Capital, OTPP
Managing Partner, Humatica
Value Add Advisor - Operations
Principle – Global Portfolio Operations, Baird Capital
Managing Director, Strategic Value Partners
Head of Private Equity, Board Intelligence
Managing Partner and Founder, Humatica
President, Turnaround Management Association
Director, KKR Capstone
Director, Alexander Group, Inc
Purchasing Director, Altor Equity Partners AB
Partner, Operations, Cinven
Managing Director, Blue Ridge Partners
Managing Director, Alvarez & Marsal
Portfolio Talent Director, Montagu Private Equity
Portfolio Performance Group, PAI Partners
Partner, Partners Group AG
Director - Operational Transaction Services, EY
Managing Director, AlixPartners
Investment Advisory Professional, co-head DACH - Triton
Day 1 - Tuesday 21st
Registration & Coffee
Evolution of the operating partner role: the new player in the deal team?
- How has the operating model evolved? Payment structures, carry, fee for services etc
- Trends in structuring the value creation team: How have things changed?
- How can generalists continue to add value throughout the deal process?
- Deal partners view on how operating partners best operate
Moderator: Fred Burger, Partner – UK&I Transactions Advisory Services, EY
Driving revenue growth and the strong correlation with successful exits
- The correlation between year one organic revenue growth and successful exits
- A playbook for sizing the opportunity in pricing and sales effectiveness during DD or immediately post close
- Applying a new metric to assess commercial performance
- Case studies of commercial transformation in year 1
A short presentation by event knowledge partner Blue Ridge Partners followed by a panel discussion featuring Operating Partner and CEO perspectives
Moderator: Jim Corey, Managing Partner, Blue Ridge Partners
State of the nation: Positioning value creation within wider political and economic trends
- Preparing for the next downturn: Are we nearing the end of a cycle?
- Utilising the operating partner throughout the economic cycle
- To what extent are valuations at sale impacted by downside protection?
- Diversifying supply chains to deal with politically led disruption
Keynote Interview: Developing and driving IT strategies across a global enterprise
Coffee & Networking
Determining the right pricing strategy within portfolio companies
- Ensuring price rises are sustainable
- Who owns pricing within a portfolio? Does every company need a pricing tsar?
- Leveraging the portfolio to develop pricing policy
- Pricing case studies told from participants
Lessons learned when moving from trouble to transformation
- Operational improvement: uncovering weaknesses in how you conduct business
- Restructuring operating models to achieve double digit impact on EBITDA
- Enterprise improvement cost reduction: operational improvement case studies and cost take outs to fund top line growth
Moderator: Rob Southern, Managing Director, Alvarez & Marsal
Managing digital bolt-ons to traditional businesses
- Avoiding culture clashes created by digital bolt-ons
- Can digital and analogue businesses ever work together?
- Comparing bolt-ons to implementing a digital transformation within the company
- War stories when digital bolt-ons have failed
Moderator: Rob Hornby, Managing Director, New York, Alix Partners
Stream Chairperson remarks
Developing a successful multichannel B2B sales strategy in an increasingly digital world
- The evolving role of human sales people
- Ensuring human sales people complement online channels
- What are the sales people there for? Should more businesses be losing sales headcount?
- Examples of humans working together with the online world to deliver results
Moderator: Moti Shahani, Managing Director, Blue Ridge Partners
Making your customer experience a competitive differentiator
- Defining customer experience
- Outlining the role of customer experience in driving value creation portfolio companies
- How customer experience impacts the entire organisation
- What you need to do today within your own businesses to get started
Moderator: Susanne Vanner, Director – Operational Transaction Services, EY
Procurement in PE: turning data into actionable insight
- How data can transform private equity’s approach to procurement in portfolio companies
- Leveraging spend data to drive EBITDA improvement
- Making it happen – who, what, how
- Identifying opportunities cross-portfolio – procurement, insurance and other synergies
Moderator: Richard McIntosh, Managing Partner, Procura Consulting
Stream Chairperson remarks
How private equity’s innovation will be powered by data science
- Should value creation teams include heads of data science?
- How can using data science drive value creation?
- When to use data analytics and at what point does it create the most value?
- What can PE learn from hedge funds use of big data?
How digital transformation to the cloud is impacting private equity
- Cloud adoption impact on PE business models and innovation
- Challenges/opportunities in migrating legacy software architectures to the cloud
- How to leverage the cloud
- Case studies of successful cloud implementation
Moderator: Andrew Russ, Senior Manager Business Development, EMEA, AWS
Developing an effective people-centric cybersecurity strategy
- Putting people first: why people not technology are usually the weak spot
- How to prioritise your portfolio by risk profile
- The impact of breaches on sell-on value
- Case studies where companies let their guard down
Moderator: Dean Hill, Executive Director, Eze Castle Integration
Stream Chairperson remarks
Getting value from the Organisational/HR Operating Partner role
- Risks and benefits of different models in the market
- When to engage the Organisational Operating Partner and for what?
- Background, experience and competencies of successful Organisational Operating Partners
- Pre-requisites to enable success in the role
Moderator: Andros Payne, Managing Partner and Founder, Humatica
Management team playbook: Accelerating management team effectiveness post-deal
- Outlining the role of the operating partner in engaging management teams
- How do you evaluate CEO performance and team dynamics?
- Profit through people: developing and retaining the top talent
- Case studies of successful transformations
Moderator: Steven Gilbert, Partner, RHR International
Improving board effectiveness to ensure board meetings complement value creation strategy
- How to get value out of board meetings
- Designing a boardpack and setting useful KPIs
- Best practice board reporting: How to help individual companies get it right
- Using board meetings to identify downside risks and issues with portfolio companies
Moderator: Megan Pantelides, Head of Private Equity, Board Intelligence
Coffee & Networking
Deal Mechanic case studies: Operational excellence stories explained by the participants
Chair: Declan Feeney, Private Equity Advisor, Efficio
- Carlyle: Itoconic
Charlotte Lawrence, Associate Director – European Technology fund, Carlyle
- SVP, Cory Riverside Partners
Tony O’Carroll, Managing Director, Strategic Value Partners
- Triton: Aventis
Claus von Hermann, Investment Advisory Professional, co-head DACH, Triton
Meet the expert: Your chance to build your contacts
Each presenter will make the case that you should join their table in a short 2-minute pitch. The audience will then vote on the best presentation. After the vote the room will be split into roundtable discussions each led by the expert presenter. A 30-minute roundtable discussion will be followed by informal networking allowing delegates to move freely between tables to seek advice whilst enjoying a drink.
- Thematic Sourcing – Christina Han (Partners Group)
Close of Conference & Cocktail Reception
Day 2 - Wednesday 22nd
Invitation-only Think Tank for Operating Partners
This closed-door session is an opportunity to share first-hand accounts on how to best position yourself in your career as an operating partner. The think tank will expose the toughest challenges operating partners face daily and will allow you to learn best practices in dealing with them.
Enabling management teams to boost returns
- Senior management: Make or Buy
- Setting the portfolio company organisation up for success
- Accelerating value creation through upfront talent assessment and enablement
- CEO viewpoint on where management typically needs enablement to succeed
Moderator: Patrick Mina, Managing Partner, Humatica
How do leading PE Firms accelerate value creation across their portfolio’s?
- Segmenting and prioritizing the market opportunity to focus on highest yield accounts
- Allocating GTM resources to optimally cover the market and grow revenues consistently
- Developing revenue and budget plans which clearly define growth levers and resource requirements
- Optimizing the Go-to-Market talent to drive the top line and productivity rates
Moderator: Nick Hulse, Managing Director – Europe, Sales Benchmark Index
The rise of the Chief Revenue Officer in portfolio companies
- What is the ideal talent profile for the position?
- When and how to decide to hire a CRO
- Defining success – requirements for driving performance across the entire customer journey
Moderator: Andrew Horvath, Principal, The Alexander Group
Coffee & Networking
How PE firms add value through operating partners
- Utilising the portfolio support group
- Latest trends in structuring a value creation team
- When to bring in consultants and what type of people to bring in
- Managing staffing at portfolio companies
Moderator: Mark Veldon, Managing Director, Alix Partners
Ensuring success when utilising strategic nearshore options for portfolio companies
- Exploring the reasons that firms look to nearshore options
- Sourcing talent and finding the best culture match for your organisation
- Working with CEOs to maximise opportunities
- Outlining successful case studies and developing a checklist for operating partners
Oxford debate: This house believes that private equity removes too many CEOs too quickly
Close of Conference
The Operating Partners Forum: Europe offers a unique opportunity for organisations to raise their profile as part of the premier meeting for Private Equity professionals focused on value creation.
For more information on the available sponsorship opportunities contact Christopher Wagland, email@example.com or call +44 (0) 207 566 5475
Speaker dinner sponsor
Countless opportunities to connect with other Operating Partners
The only European event bringing together more than 150 experts in value creation at private equity firms together with the surrounding industry.
Informal relationship building
Join your peers during drinks receptions, breakfasts and lunches to connect with potential partners in a more relaxed atmosphere.
Structured networking sessions will be held during conference breaks to allow you to identify attendees with similar interests and goals.