The PDI Germany forum delivers a unique networking & learning platform for investors from the DACH region and further afield.
Asset owners in Europe are increasingly turning towards private debt strategies in attempts to diversify and protect their portfolios as the credit cycle continues to stretch. This forum provides you with a timely opportunity to hear about global investment opportunities; learn from your peers about best practice, and prepare yourselves for the challenges that lie ahead in this evolving private debt market.
Reasons to attend
Don't miss your chance to
Connect with investors across the DACH region
Build valuable connections with 50 investors all actively investing in private debt strategies, including insurers, public and private pension funds, fund of funds, family offices and foundations.
Tailor your event experience
Shape your own agenda with a unique mix of formats including multiple streams on both corporate and real asset debt strategies, breakout sessions, roundtable discussions and workshops, allowing you to participate in the discussion.
Connect and collaborate
Meet over 200 experts in the private debt industry at several unique sessions designed to maximise opportunities for networking. Leave the Forum having met the right contacts, solidifying your network across the industry to drive your business forward.
Current and previous investors include:
Francesco Battazzi, Head of Division – Diversified Debt Funds, European Investment Fund
European Investment Fund’s activity in private credit
Discover which private debt strategies are being pursued by one of Europe’s largest and most influential investors.
Evgeny Denisenko, Managing Principal, Apolis SAM
Why high-net worth individuals and families are embracing private debt
Hear from a growing European family office on how they are managing their diversified portfolio and increasing their exposure in the private debt market.
Director, Alter Domus
It is the quality and number of PD industry experts that makes the event so beneficial.
Senior Sales Director Alternatives, NN Investment Partners
The conference is an excellent opportunity to meet with investors and network within the industry.
Managing Partner, ICA Institutional Capital Associates
The perfect forum in which to learn how investors, investment managers and my peers are tackling the many macroeconomic, investment, legal & regulatory issu…
Managing Partner, ICA Institutional Capital Associates
The perfect forum in which to learn how investors, investment managers and my peers are tackling the many macroeconomic, investment, legal & regulatory issues facing the markets today
Day 1 - Thursday 8th
PDI Welcome Address
Chairperson's Opening Remarks
European Investment Fund’s activity in private credit
Looking beyond 2020 - thriving within an altered, competitive private debt landscape
- What are the lasting impacts that the coronavirus pandemic & subsequent downturn will have on competition within the private debt market?
- Which direction is the competition coming from? Is it the established players, the newcomers, platforms, or even revitalised banks?
- What market conditions are contributing to this growth in competition for private debt funds?
- Is it time to venture outside of the crowded sponsored middle-market?
- Vying for deals – how can managers ensure that they stay ahead of the curve in market to offer their clients the best possible investments?
- And what can GPs do to prove that their offering addresses the needs & concerns of prospective investors better than other competitors?
Coffee & networking
Presentation: Building a Diversified Private Debt Program
The evolving role of private credit within your alternative asset portfolio
- What impact has the outbreak had on investor portfolio exposure to private credit? How have investors responded to this?
- Should this fall into alternatives, fixed income, or something else? And why does the definition matter?
- Will there be a growing appetite amongst investors beyond direct lending in the post-downturn private debt world? How are distressed & special situation opportunities being viewed now?
- What should investors do to ensure that they manage risk effectively and are increasing their exposure sustainably?
- ESG considerations – in an increasingly environmentally-conscious world, how does private debt enable investors to achieve their ESG and sustainable impact investment goals?
Debate: Real asset debt & speciality finance vs corporate debt
Before we head into lunch and the split-stream format for the afternoon, we’ll have two participants arguing the case for investment in real asset debt & specialty finance strategies; and two debating on the side of corporate debt, and you’ll get the chance to vote for your winner.
- Setting the scene – how does appetite & allocation compare currently? Is there space for both within investors’ alternatives allocation?
- Has their been a clear winner or loser when it comes to which market has fared better during the coronavirus pandemic and downturn?
- How does the risk-return profile of specialty finance and real asset debt compare to corporate debt?
- Arguing for real asset debt & specialty finance: what opportunities do these various strategies offer to different types of investors? How could they benefit when it comes to yields & returns?
- Arguing for corporate debt & cashflow lending: what gives these strategies the edge?
Managing Director, Co-Head Private Debt - YIELCO Investments AGRead bio
Director, bfinance UK LtdRead bio
Managing Director, Portfolio Manager - EnTrust GlobalRead bio
Chairman, StepStone Private Debt & Liquid Alternatives - Stepstone GlobalRead bio
Lunch & networking
The downturn is here: forging a market advantage amidst a global crisis
- How have regional markets in Germany and further across Europe, responded to the crisis and private debt’s first true challenge?
- Have GPs been conservative enough in their approach and deal choices over the past few years to prepare for this? How can they prove to investors that they have?
- Ensuring you have the right resources in place when it comes to experts, workouts and restructuring
- Special situations, smart diversification and avoiding complacency – are these the key to investor success in the downturn?
- What will be the key lessons learnt to take forward as the market moves on?
Boots on the ground: assessing the growing local presence approach from European debt managers
- What have been the contributing factors towards the growing trend of GPs opening multiple regional offices across Europe? Is the ‘HQ approach’ becoming obsolete?
- Costs vs benefits of taking this approach and how they’ve been measured
- A division of territories: what will this mean for the European debt market?
- What impacts have investors seen from this change in approach? How have they been benefiting from this, if they have?
- Will the events of 2020 leave a lasting imprint on this local-presence approach to business?
An opportunity in waiting? The growing secondaries market in private debt
- Are secondaries strategies being seriously considered by investors and the market in general at present?
- What global activity have we seen, from both a manager and investor perspective, in the private debt secondaries market in recent months?
- Drawbacks & potential hurdles – does educating investors remain the biggest challenge for the secondaries market to really take off in popularity
- How could secondaries provide a credible active portfolio management solution when the cycle turns?
Assessing investor suitability to opportunities across real asset debt & specialty finance
- Why should investors look to real estate, infrastructure or other real asset financing in order to protect their portfolio?
- Portfolio management & allocation setup for asset owners – does it all come under the debt ‘umbrella’?
- What impact does Solvency II and other regulatory frameworks in Europe have on investor suitability and appetite for these different niches?
- How has aircraft leasing & aviation finance coped considering the impacts of the coronavirus pandemic on the air travel industry? What long-term characteristics of these strategies should still prove appealing to investors?
Catering for the evolving investor base & identities in real asset debt
- Are family offices, high-net-worth individuals or other types of investors coming more to the fore in real asset debt? Or do institutions still dominate the DACH region and wider European market?
- What are the main changes that investors in the market are experiencing? How have fund managers reacted so far in order to adapt to these?
- Challenges around creating open-ended vehicles for debt products, particularly in reference to defined contribution pension schemes
- How can investors, fund managers & other stakeholders in the market work together to ensure that supply continues to meet demand when it comes to provision of real asset debt strategies
Moderator: Dalit Nuttall, Principal, West Valley Capital
How does ESG manifest itself in the real asset world?
- Climate, diversity, impact – what’s top of the ESG agenda for investors in these strategies, and why?
- Does this differentiate significantly amongst different asset owner types?
- Which niches are more able to deliver on ESG targets for their clients?
- What can debt investors and managers do to exert more influence over the project or borrower when it comes to ESG matters?
Moderator: Josien Piek, Head of EMEA, GRESB
Coffee & networking
Case Studies 2.0: Turnarounds - when things go wrong & how to fix them
This will be held In the same format as our traditional case studies,; but focusing instead on four transaction case studies that haven’t gone smoothly, and how GPs have worked to turn them around and fix them
Moderator: Gabriella Kindert, Board Member, Mizuho
Chairperson’s Closing Remarks - Day 1
Close of Day 1 & Networking Drinks Reception
Day 2 - Friday 9th
Invitation-Only LP Breakfast
Chairperson’s Day 2 Welcome Address
Keynote Interview: Why high-net worth individuals & families are embracing private debt
- What factors are causing this investor type to turn away from more traditional investment strategies?
- What industries and sectors are most appealing when it comes to deployment? Has the Covid-19 pandemic affected this, and if so, how?
- How these increasingly influential asset owners are managing the balance between risk and yield
- The race for deals – in an extremely competitive market, how & where can these individuals and family offices find a worthwhile niche?
Case Studies: Investment deals from the front lines
In the same popular format as 2019, this unique session will delve in-depth on four GP investment case studies – each taking us through their approach to transaction structuring. Moderated by our investment committee and voted for by the audience
Moderator: Matthias Kirchgaessner, Director, Plexus Investments
Coffee & networking
Sustainable investment – making an impact in private debt, yet?
- How have macro-economic & geopolitical factors affected fundraising numbers in recent months?
- Has there been over-concern from investors on these matters?
- Will Germany experience further slowdown from political disruption over the coming months? What other macroeconomic factors on the horizon are there to be aware of?
- Will these factors put European managers off of higher fundraising targets? Or conversely, will we see growth in private debt numbers in 2020 and beyond?
What will restructuring bring to the economy and portfolios?
- How much restructuring activity can we expect in the DACH region and wider Europe in the coming months?
- How would significant restructuring activity as a result of the coronavirus-driven downturn affect the private debt market in the short and long term?
- What effect will this have on the borrowing companies and the industries they’re in?
- Will investors be satisfied by the results that are achieved by their managers?
Closing Networking Lunch: themed roundtables
Take this opportunity as the conference draws to a close, to choose the theme that means most to you and discuss with your peers over lunch
- Embracing opportunistic & specialty lending
- Overcoming challenges and reaping reward with sponsor-less lending
- How can investors enhance their portfolio monitoring capabilities and techniques?
- Targeting opportunities in emerging markets private debt
- Distressed and special situations
- Fundraising during & post-coronavirus – how it’s affected methods, timelines & figures
- The evolving role of banks in the private credit market
Close of Conference
Head of Division - Diversified Debt Funds, European Investment Fund
Director, Commerzbank AAG
Chairman, StepStone Private Debt & Liquid Alternatives - Stepstone Global
Director, Lagrange Financial Advisory
Partner, BB Alternative Partners
Head of Alternative Credit, NN Investment Partners
Head of Investments, Generali Investments
Managing Director, Head of Private Debt - Golding Capital Partners
Managing Principal, Apolis S.A.M.
Founding and Managing Partner, ICA
COO, Newstead Capital
Managing Director, Co-Head Private Debt - YIELCO Investments AG
Partner, Chairman, Certior Capital
Principal, Ares Management
Managing Director – Private Debt, Patrimonium
Portfolio Manager, Elo
Investment Director, Perpetual Investors
Expert In Alternative Lending and Private Debt, Supervisory Board Member – Mizuho Europe
Advisor, PLEXUS Investments
Director, Multiplicity Partners AG
Head of Private Debt, Tikehau Capital
Managing Partner, Bright Capital
Managing Director, Portfolio Manager - EnTrust Global
Principal, West Valley Capital
Founding Partner, Apera Asset Management
Executive Director, Wimmer Financial
Senior Investment Consultant Mercy
Global Head of Private Debt, Allianz Investment Management SE
Investment Analyst, Diversified Debt Funds - European Investment Fund
Partner and Portfolio Manager, Capital Four
Director, Head of Private Debt - HSBC Germany
Senior Vice President Investment Solutions, Mandatum Life Insurance
Director, bfinance UK Ltd
The Germany Forum offers a unique opportunity for organisations to raise their profile as a part of the premier meeting for German, Austrian and Swiss investors allocating to private debt.
For more information on available sponsorship opportunities in 2020 please contact Giulia Corsini at @peimedia.com or call +44 (0) 203 994 7964.
Fund & Asset Managers
- Make connections with private and public pension funds, insurers, endowments, family offices & more – all types of institutional investors will be in attendance
- Hear their unique views on various themes across the agenda – ranging from downturn preparedness to opportunities in emerging markets
- Utilise the networking breaks to follow up with investors after their sessions, and ask the questions you had in mind in a private informal environment
- Focused on fundraising? This is the perfect opportunity to introduce your fund & strategies to a global investor audience
- Forge connections, leave impressions and build lasting relationships with 50+ active and prospective investors in private debt