The CFOs & COOs Spring Roundup is a one-day event for private equity finance and operations executives to benchmark against their peers and create conversations about strategically navigating new challenges caused by the pandemic.
The Roundup will provided vital peer insight, feedback and allowed for in-depth conversations on issues impacting firms and portfolio companies presently and highlight what is to be expected as the industry moves toward a new normal.
Topics covered include:
- Sourcing and developing talent in PE
- Data management practices
- Strengthening operational efficiency
- Enhancing cybersecurity protocols
- The CFO and COO roles
- ESG integration
- Investor reporting efforts
- Compliance & SEC matters
Roundup sessions – collaborative, strategic and solution driven for attendees to discuss the biggest challenges that are having an impact on their role and responsibilities.
Keynote interview – industry leaders clear their schedules for in-depth and engaging conversations that assess and raise awareness of industry trends, challenges and solutions.
Assistant Director, Co-Head Private Funds Unit, U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission
Matthew Harris is Assistant Director and Co-Head of the SEC’s Private Funds Unit (PFU) within the Division of Examinations, the SEC’s specialized unit dedicated to examining advisers to private funds. Mr. Harris was previously an Exam Manager in the PFU and the Chicago Regional Office, where he joined as a Securities Compliance Examiner in 2002.
Mr. Harris received the Shannon Ayers Examination Award of Excellence in 2016 as part of the PFU for significant contributions to the SEC’s efforts to enhance compliance and protect investors.
He earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in Economics from Wheaton College and is a CFA® charterholder.
Join our growing community of CFOs & COOs
Great to connect with other CFOs and COOs who are trying to solve the same problems that I am! We had a great networking session on the financing topic at a rou…
Great format and strong attention to detail. Considering the alternative for not meeting in person, PEI could not have done a better job with this virtual event…
Perfectly timed topics based on the current environment.
Great to connect with other CFOs and COOs who are trying to solve the same problems that I
am! We had a great networking session on the financing topic at a roundtable. Enjoyed it!
Great format and strong attention to detail. Considering the alternative for not meeting in
person, PEI could not have done a better job with this virtual event.
Spring Roundup - Thursday 24th
Registration – Continental Breakfast
Striking a balance between strategic firm development and managing operations
- Ensuring firm strategy corresponds with evolving PE trends
- How the CFO and COO roles continue to impact front office functions
- Recognizing when to delegate tasks to focus on emerging firm initiatives
- Tax alert: what is expected in 2022 and how are CFOs involved in the process?
- Examining what tools CFOs are utilizing to assist with task management
- Best practices for optimal engagement with portfolio companies
Graham Bippart, Editor, Private Funds CFO, Private Equity International
Lynn Atkinson, Chief Operating Officer, Mainsail Partners
Terry Elizabeth Cheyney, Chief Financial Officer, Tribeca Venture Partners
Kristy Trieste, Founding Partner, Chief Financial Officer & Chief Compliance Officer, Motive Partners
Editor, Private Funds CFO, Private Equity InternationalRead bio
Chief Operating Officer, Mainsail PartnersRead bio
Terry Elizabeth Cheyney
Chief Financial Officer, Tribeca Venture PartnersRead bio
Founding Partner, Chief Financial Officer & Chief Compliance Officer, Motive PartnersRead bio
Engage in 10 interactive discussions on hot topics in private equity
Participate in each roundup session below rotating every 30 minutes throughout the day.
- Rotation 1 | 9:45-10:15am
- Rotation 2 | 10:15-10:45am
- Rotation 3 | 10:45-11:15am
- Rotation 4 | 11:45-12:15pm
- Rotation 5 | 12:15-12:45pm
- Rotation 6 | 12:45-1:15pm
- Rotation 7 | 2:15-2:45pm
- Rotation 8 | 2:45-3:15pm
- Rotation 9 | 3:15-3:45pm
- Rotation 10 | 4:00-4:30pm
Roundtable 1 | Identifying opportunities to bolster operational efficiencies within the firm
- Implementing technology to create efficiencies and advance firm initiatives
- Reevaluating in-office, remote and hybrid work arrangement requirements and policies
- Providing professional development training for senior and junior level employees
- Spearheading internal communication efforts among teams
Abdul Anwari, Director, Institutional Sales, Backstop Solutions
Dan Rochkind, CFO, Lerer Hippeau
Roundtable 2 | Has fundraising forever been changed?
- How are firms exploring various fundraising vehicles and opportunities (i.e., alterative asset classes, emerging markets, distribution calls)?
- Executing due diligence throughout the fundraising process
- Maximizing the relationship between the deal and finance teams
- Establishing communication methods and frequency that fulfills LP/GP needs
Drake Paulson, Senior Director, Nasdaq Private Funds
Dino Verardo, Chief Operating Officer & Chief Financial Officer, Sageview Capital
Roundtable 3 | Risk mitigation strategies to protect the firm
- Understanding potential risks impacting PE
- Maintaining consistency in firmwide due diligence efforts
- Assessing fees and expenses to provide investors with accurate information
- Decreasing operational, data, valuation, performance and tax risks
- When to enlist assistance from third-party risk advisors
Brian Chibwe, Chief Financial Officer, Clarion Capital Partners
Roundtable 4 | Developing a sustainable ESG program to meet investor and firm objectives
- Are firms equipped to oversee increasing ESG efforts?
- Standardizing metrics to highlight portfolio company ESG efforts
- Meeting LP ESG expectations
- Establishing non-bias in the development of DEI initiatives at firms and portfolio companies
- Looking ahead: the implications and effects of the SEC’s approach to standardize ESG
- How are firms evaluating their carbon emissions initiatives, protocols and policies?
Daniela Arias, CPA, Senior Manager – ESG Services, Crowe LLP
Roundtable 5 | Sourcing and developing a talented team in a competitive landscape
- Developing a hiring strategy for back and middle office talent
- Fighting against the great resignation: how are firms managing satisfaction amongst current employees?
- Beyond the basics: what skills are valued and necessary to develop a sustainable team?
- Reviewing salaries and compensation plans to match an evolving market
- Fostering a collaborative work/team culture to drive success
- Expanding resources to aid in candidate sourcing and recruitment
- Accessing and attracting diverse talent in PE
Krissie Baily, VP Human Capital, MiddleGround Capital
Darlene Karis, Director of Human Resources, TA Associates
Roundtable 6 | Promoting productive and collaborative relationships with outsourced partners
- Determining when to outsource functions
- Forming realistic expectations and strategic plans with your service providers
- Navigating third-party service provider turnover and its effect on deliverables
- Establishing a process to receive real-time access to service provider data
- What should firms be asking service providers during the due diligence process?
Jennifer Randle, EVP of Finance and Operations, TCG
Eleanor Selby, Customer Success Manager, Apperio
Roundtable 7 | Extracting and maintaining the truth in data to drive decision making
- Practices for consolidating and organizing data
- Ongoing efforts for translating quantitative data to qualitative data
- Determining who should be granted access to raw data?
- Are firms expanding their staff to help manage and analyze data?
- Migrating data over to advanced platforms to assist with complex calculations
- Increasing automation to aid in the data collection process
- Uncovering findings in historical and present data to drive strategic decisions
Ross Anderson, Vice President, Private Markets Solutions and Business Development, State Street
Stuart Mayer, Managing Director, Finance, Insight Partners
Roundtable 8 | Navigating the investor reporting process to meet increasing demands
- Approaches to fulfilling individual LP reporting and data requests
- How are firms outlining the costs covered by management fees vs. additional administrative expenses?
- SEC predictions: what’s on the horizon from the SEC for new reporting standards?
- Generating comprehendible investor reports
- Addressing privacy concerns related to granting multiple parties access to reports
- Methods for gathering portfolio company performance data
- Tools for generating reports in a timely manner
Barnaby Piggott, CEO, Atlas/Holland Mountain
John Stephens, Partner & Chief Financial Officer, US, Pomona Capital
Roundtable 9 | Enhancing firm cybersecurity protocols to tackle emerging attacks
- Staying abreast of malware and ransomware attack methods putting firms at risk
- Protecting the firm with a cyber insurance policy
- Reviewing methods to securely store sensitive information
- Assessing cyber threats when collaborating with external parties or vendors
- How often should penetration tests be conducted to protect firms against relevant threats?
Jason Snider, Chief Financial Officer / Chief Compliance Officer, Gauge Capital
Sherwyn Williams, Head of IT & Cybersecurity, Siris Capital
Roundtable 10 | Updating compliance programs in response to regulatory developments
- Effective strategies for enhancing your firm’s compliance program
- Can PE prepare for new SEC guidelines by observing other financial industries (i.e., public markets, banking)?
- Providing staff training to increase compliance risk awareness
- Making an investment in compliance tools for the firm
- Managing the changes set forth by consumer data privacy laws
Paul Marnoto, General Counsel, Chief Compliance Officer, Parthenon Capital
John Pollard, Jr., Global Chief Compliance Officer, EJF Capital
Networking lunch break
Matthew Harris, Assistant Director and Co-Head, Private Funds Unit, U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission
Rich Melville, Editorial Director, US, PEI Media
Cocktail reception and end of roundup
Vice President, Private Markets Solutions and Business Development, State Street
Director, Institutional Sales, Backstop Solutions
Senior Manager - ESG Services, Crowe LLP
Chief Operating Officer, Mainsail Partners
VP Human Capital, MiddleGround Capital
Editor, Private Funds CFO, Private Equity International
Chief Financial Officer, Tribeca Venture Partners
Chief Financial Officer, Clarion Capital Partners
Assistant Director and Co-Head, Private Funds Unit, U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission
Director of Human Resources, TA Associates
General Counsel, Parthenon Capital Partners
Managing Director, Finance, Insight Partners
Editorial Director, US, PEI Media
Senior Director, Nasdaq Private Funds
CEO, Atlas by Holland Mountain
Global Chief Compliance Officer, EJF Capital
Executive Vice President - Finance and Operations, TCG
Customer Success Manager, Apperio
Chief Financial Officer / Chief Compliance Officer, Gauge Capital
Partner & Chief Financial Officer, US, Pomona Capital
Founding Partner, Chief Financial Officer & Chief Compliance Officer, Motive Partners
Chief Operating Officer & Chief Financial Officer, Sageview Capital
Head of IT & Cybersecurity, Siris Capital
The Roundup offered a unique opportunity for organizations to raise their profile by meeting with an exclusive community of private equity senior professionals.
By Private Equity International
By Private Equity International
By Private Equity International
By ATLAS by Holland Mountain
By Backstop Solutions
By State Street
The Westin Times Square
270 West 43rd Street
New York, NY 10036
All conference sessions will take place at the Westin Times Square.
We also have reserved a room block at the hotel for all attendees at a discounted rate. Please click the button below to reserve your room at the hotel.
*Please note the group rate is only available on or before March 18th
At the CFOs & COOs Spring Roundup, we want to ensure you can safely network with industry peers and participate in the in-person learning experience. As part of our commitment to safety and per The Westin’s policies and New York’s safety guidelines, we are requiring all attendees to be FULLY VACCINATED against Covid-19. While mask wearing indoors in NYC has been lifted, we strongly suggest mask wearing at the conference. All PEI staff and venue staff will wear masks.
To enter the Roundup, guests must provide a photo ID and at least one of the following forms of proof of full vaccination against Covid-19:
- State/city digital vaccine pass (e.g. New York Excelsior pass)
- Digital copy of your Center for Disease Control vaccine card
- Hard copy of your Center for Disease Control vaccine card
- International attendees can bring either a digital or hard copy of their official vaccination record for a Covid-19 vaccine administered outside the United States, including AstraZeneca/SK Bioscience, Serum Institute of India, COVISHIELD, Vaxzevria, Sinopharm, or Sinovac
We will NOT be accepting PCR tests, rapid tests, or one dose of Pfizer or Moderna. PEI will be providing PPE including disposable masks, Clorox wipes, and hand sanitizer onsite.
If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out to our customer service team at +1 212 -645-1919 or firstname.lastname@example.org.