The CFOs & COOs Fall Roundup returns in-person this November 17th at the Intercontinental Hotel in San Francisco.
The Roundup will provide vital peer insight, feedback and allow for in-depth conversations on issues impacting firms and portfolio companies presently.
Roundup sessions – collaborative, strategic and solution driven for attendees to discuss the biggest challenges that are having an impact on their role and responsibilities.
Breakout sessions – craft a personalized agenda of sessions most applicable for improving the finance and operations at your firm.
Think Tanks – these closed-door, interactive group discussions promote an open dialogue to answer your most pressing questions and solve challenges facing your firm.
2021 attendees included:
Great to connect with other CFOs and COOs who are trying to solve the same problems that I am! We had a great networking session on the financing topic at a rou…
Great format and strong attention to detail. Considering the alternative for not meeting in person, PEI could not have done a better job with this virtual event…
Perfectly timed topics based on the current environment.
Great to connect with other CFOs and COOs who are trying to solve the same problems that I
am! We had a great networking session on the financing topic at a roundtable. Enjoyed it!
Great format and strong attention to detail. Considering the alternative for not meeting in
person, PEI could not have done a better job with this virtual event.
Day 1 - Thursday 17th
Registration – Breakfast
Amy Coleman Redenbaugh, Managing Director, Chief Financial Officer, Thoma Bravo
Managing inflationary pressures, supply chain disruptions and other economic challenges
- Approaching portfolio company and firm valuations in today’s market
- How are firms managing increased interest rates and obtaining lines of credit?
- Are secondaries and continuation funds a solution to consistent GP cash flow?
- How can GP CFOs advise portfolio companies through economic volatility?
- Can PE handle a potential recession?
- Allocating internal and external resources to carry firms forward through an inflationary environment
- Staying ahead of Federal Reserve and SEC measures tackling inflation in private markets
Ryan Randall, CFO, CCO and Partner, Section Partners
Christopher Smith, CFA, Partner & CFO, SER Capital Partners
Nina Yoo, Chief Financial Officer, Fengate
Topic A | Instituting a recipe for success in fundraising
- How involved are CFOs & COOs today’s fundraising process?
- Navigating LP demand for more disclosure
- Applying historical and current data to make informed investment decisions
- How are firms catering to both global and emerging LPs?
- Effects of inflation on private market fundraising
- How are GPs balancing in-person and virtual fundraises?
- Evaluating the future of side letters
Amanda Coussens, CFO,P10
Heather Jones, Chief Operating Officer, Civitas Capital
Topic B | Approaching internal recruitment and retention in an intense environment
- Enhancing short and long-term employee experiences across the firm
- Determining the proper amount of back/middle-office staff to carry the firm forward?
- What skill sets are firms seeking from finance and operations professionals to boost the firm’s capabilities?
- Surpassing race and gender: increasing diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives to drive employee and investor satisfaction
- From job posting to candidate acceptance: how are firms engaging in today’s recruitment cycles and practices?
- Employing alternative internal and external recruitment resources to source talent outside of PE & VC
Scott Farden, Partner and Chief Operating Officer, Nonantum Capital Partners
Topic C | Refreshing the investor reporting process to correspond with LP and regulatory demands
- How are the back/middle offices responding to ad-hoc requests?
- What new items are LPs looking to find in quarterly and annual reports?
- Creating a practical and sustainable repository that satisfies LPs
- Developing reporting framework to showcase both firm and portfolio company ESG efforts
- How will the SEC’s proposed rules change investor reporting requirements?
- Implementing automation to aid the investor reporting process
Jennifer Randle, Executive Vice President – Finance and Operations, TCG
Topic D | Enhancing firm-wide operational efficiencies while adjusting to updated industry norms
- Strengthening communication practices across the firm to drive informed decision-making
- Coping with the loss of intellectual capital as firms and outsourcing partners undergo staffing changes
- Where do cross-departmental efforts sit within the firm (ESG, IT, data, etc.)?
- How are firms staffing teams to meet industry and LP demands?
- Instituting professional development programs and plans to strengthen individual and team-wide skillsets
- Navigating relationships with service providers in today’s environment
- How have remote or hybrid working environments evolved for finance and operations teams?
- Identifying effective technology solutions to help firms make informed decisions more rapidly
Sharon Hwang, Partner and Chief Operating Officer, MSP Sports Capital
Aani Nerlekar, Senior Director, Solutions Consulting, SS&C Advent
Breakout A | Taking a proactive approach to taxes
- Understanding the latest in pass through state entity taxes and their effect on GPs
- What’s ahead for carried interest taxes?
- Enhancing communication efforts with portfolio companies to gather prevalent tax information for the firm and LPs
- Evaluating available resources to help organize necessary records and documents for the firm and portfolio companies
- Assessing how the SEC & IRS tax plans on the horizon will impact firm operations
- Addressing tax challenges and rules when working with foreign investors
- Is creating an in-house tax team necessary to manage and keep up with the influx of foreign and domestic tax updates?
Brandon Baudin, Chief Financial Officer, The Sterling Group
Dan Drury, Managing Director, Makena Capital Management
Breakout B | Assembling a robust IT infrastructure to further expand GP capabilities
- Approaching firm-wide buy when adopting new programs and platforms
- Is PE fully ready to adopt AI and machine learning capabilities?
- Determining when to build in-house solutions or outsource?
- Creating an IT budget that aligns with firm size and evolving growth
- Evaluating potential cyber risks during implementation periods
- Should firms hold on to their legacy systems as a backup?
- What technology solutions are LPs looking for their GPs to have?
- Tech alert: what tools are available to drive efficiency and decision making?
Jill Lampert, Chief Financial & Administrative Officer, NGP Energy Capital
Breakout C | Strengthening firm-wide data management practices to help drive strategic growth
- Utilizing both qualitative and quantitative data to provide firms and LPs informative insights
- Increasing data standardization and integration across the back, middle and front offices
- How are firms for collecting, analyzing, and sharing ESG data with investors?
- Uncovering additional focus areas to record that will aid in firm advancement (i.e., DE&I and talent management)
- Keeping up with LP requests for portfolio-company specific data
- Addressing confidentiality and cyber risk concerns when sharing internal data with external partners
- Leveraging modern technology to modernize data management and analysis
Gadi Gefen, Chief Financial Officer, Next47
Nina Labatt, Chief Operating Officer & Chief Financial Officer, Section 32
Ivor van Esch, CFO and CCO, Knox Lane
Breakout D | The role of finance teams in ESG reporting and development
- Looking beyond the basics: what makes an ESG program unique from the finance and operations perspective?
- Managing the LP appetite for ESG (data, reporting, due diligence, etc.)
- Best practices for quantifying ESG data
- Tying carried interest to ESG metrics
- Preparing the firm for ESG regulatory requirements as the SEC looks to solidify rules on industry initiatives
- Enlisting help from third parties to aid in ESG reporting
Matt Allessio, Head of Growth and Rise Operations, TPG
Machal Karim, Head of ESG, Blue Owl Capital
David Smolen, Partner and Chief Operating Officer, GI Partners
Think tank A (GPs only) | Instituting compensation tactics and incentives that align with a budding market
- How is inflation playing a role in today’s employee compensation efforts?
- Strategies for incentivizing staff that are not eligible for carry
- What soft benefits can be added to the total employee package?
- What additional fund performance compensation methods can firms apply to increase employee earnings across the firm (i.e., phantom carry)?
- Are remote or hybrid working options must have incentives for today’s talent?
Suzanne Guthrie, Chief Financial Officer, Maverick Capital
Think tank B (GPs only) | Navigating a new era of compliance
- How often should firms review and revise their policies and manuals?
- Preparing the firm as new guidelines and rules come into effect (i.e., fee disclosure, side letter agreements, fund indemnification, general investor reporting, etc.)
- Evolving finance and operations team processes to align with the current regulatory environment
- Compliance considerations for remote and hybrid employees
- How are firms overseeing compliance when investing overseas?
- What cyber rules are in place to protect the firm when working with external parties?
- Establishing compliance and mitigating conflict of interest with GP family offices?
- Are third party providers equipped to help firms keep up with increasing cyber compliance efforts?
Think tank C (GPs only) | Refining cybersecurity efforts at the firm
- How are firms staying ahead of sophisticated bad actors and emerging attack methods?
- Innovative approaches to continuous internal cybersecurity training
- What are LPs seeking in both firm and portfolio company cybersecurity policies?
- Taking stock of all devices in its IT inventory (in and out of the office) to help mitigate cyber risk
- Efforts to protect the firm when granting external parties access to sensitive materials (encryption, password protected documents, etc.)
- How to prepare for proposed SEC cybersecurity rules?
Think tank D (GPs only) | Staying ahead-of-the-curve while simultaneously managing daily obligations
- Where should GPs allocate internal funds to enhance the firm?
- Enhancing investment offerings to entice LPs while staying true to the firm’s core values
- Taking a hold of new growth platforms (crypto, blockchain)
- How are firms growing due diligence efforts?
- Are PE and VC ready to be more public facing rather than remain private?
- Alleviating tasks from the CFO & COO agenda to focus on strategic growth
- Obtaining the proper resources to protect the firm from prospective threats and risks as firms are evolving
Eleena Melamed, Managing Director and Head of Strategic Operations, The Carlyle Group
Cocktail reception and end of Roundup
For speaking opportunities, contact Nikki Gale at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Head of Growth and Rise Operations, TPG
Chief Financial Officer, The Sterling Group
Managing Director, Chief Financial Officer, Thoma Bravo
Managing Director, Makena Capital Management
Partner and Chief Operating Officer, Nonantum Capital Partners
Chief Financial Officer, Next47
Chief Financial Officer, Maverick Capital
Partner and Chief Operating Officer, MSP Sports Capital
Head of ESG, Blue Owl Capital
Chief Operating Officer & Chief Financial Officer, Section 32
Chief Financial & Administrative Officer, NGP Energy Capital
Managing Director and Head of Strategic Operations, The Carlyle Group
Senior Director, Solutions Consulting, SS&C Advent
Executive Vice President - Finance and Operations, TCG
CFO, CCO and Partner, Section Partners
Partner & CFO, SER Capital Partners
Managing Director, General Counsel & Chief Compliance Officer, GI Partners
CFO and CCO, Knox Lane
Chief Financial Officer, Fengate
The CFOs and COOs conferences enable providers to highlight their unique expertise to private equity’s most influential network of c-suite decision-makers. Sponsorship gives you:
- VIP access
- Thought-leadership opportunities
- High-profile branding
- And much more …
For more information on available sponsorship opportunities please contact Josh Stoller at email@example.com.
999 California Street
San Francisco, CA 94108
All conference sessions will take place at the Intercontinental Hotel.
We have reserved a room block at the hotel for all attendees with a discounted rate. To reserve your room at the hotel please use the link below. The discounted rate is available until Monday, October 17.