After a successful first virtual event last year, the CFOs & COOs Europe Forum is taking place in-person in London on 16-17 November.
Hear from industry experts and discover solutions and prime your private fund operations for the future. Take part in an open discussion with your peers from across private markets on digitisation projects, regulatory frameworks, ESG implementation, managing teams through disruptive periods and much more this November.
The past year has redefined operational norms, this is your opportunity to stay in touch with the latest trends and benchmark against your peers and competitors so you can forge a way forward beyond the pandemic. Book now to access the Forum and build your network across private funds. There will be additional opportunities for those unable to travel to participate remotely.
Event content with value
Learn from leading industry experts and understand how to become a data-driven private fund manager, the rise of ESG sub-lines, relationship best practice with portfolio companies, and mapping out your legal framework.
Build your private funds network
Join 150+ CFOs, COOs and senior finance and operations professionals from across the UK and Europe. Build lasting relationships and compare best practices with your peers across our two-day interactive programme.
Meet leading CFOs & COOs
Connect in-person during discussion groups, networking breaks, panel Q&As, invite-only breakfasts and an evening drinks reception. Benefit from our expansive European CFO & COO community who will be in attendance throughout the forum.
Hear from Peter McKenzie, CFO of Anticipa on how courageous leadership can be the key to business success. Discover practical tools for increasing productivity, focus and more for you and your team in this unique keynote presentation.
Attendees of the CFOs & COOs networking event earlier this year
Day 1 - Tuesday 16th
Chairperson’s Welcome Address
Assessing the shift in priorities for private fund CFOs & COOs
Opening Panel Discussion
- How have the pandemic’s various repercussions forced a re-think for private fund CFOs & COOs?
- What has it meant for them and their team’s strategic position within the business?
- Which areas are requiring the most attention and spend at present?
Moderator: Tom Alabaster, Partner & EMEA Head of Funds, Ropes & Gray
Partner and EMEA Head of Funds, Ropes & GrayRead bio
COO, Capital DynamicsRead bio
COO/CFO, LaSalle Global Partner SolutionsRead bio
Finance Director, Hg CapitalRead bio
Administrative Partner, Development Partners InternationalRead bio
Driving inclusion & diversity progress in private markets
- How has diverse hiring developed over recent years?
- Which D&I initiatives have proven most successful?
- Influencing diversity & inclusion culture in third-parties and portfolios
A key year for ESG development in private markets – SFDR, subscription credit lines and more
- How have fund managers coped with the EU’s Sustainable Finance Disclosure Regulation (SFDR) so far?
- How does it compare to AIFMD?
- Choosing the right ESG metrics for your subscription credit line
- Future impacts on costs, technology, processes and reporting
CFO, Phoenix Equity PartnersRead bio
Private Equity Specialist, UNPRIRead bio
Chief Financial Officer, NTRRead bio
EMEA COO BlackRock Alternative Investors, BlackRockRead bio
International Head of Solutions Engineering Allvue SystemsRead bio
Investment outlook – how are private markets shaping up?
- PE, private debt, infra & real estate – where do the opportunities lie?
- How have firms overcome the challenges of remote fundraising and client interaction?
- Secondaries, SPACs, NAV lending & fund finance – how is the significant growth and change in these areas transforming the market?
- ESG prioritisation – what factors are funds targeting and what’s most important to investors?
Technology & automation in private markets – 2021 and beyond
- Data management, SaaS, connectivity between systems – what are the key foundations for technological development to prosper?
- Which processes and business areas are seeing the fastest acceleration in technological development at present?
- Top tips when it comes to new systems and efficiency savings
- Are the private markets catching up with the public side when it comes to automating to scale
Moderator: Karine Litou, Deputy Head of Private Capital, BNP Paribas Securities Services
Debate: Out-sourcing vs in-house considerations
- Key components of the decision-making process
- The merits for each whilst taking into consideration the latest swathe of regulation
- Impact that the pandemic and shift towards remote/hybrid working has had on these decisions
- Fund administration – continued outsourcing or growing internal capabilities?
- Managing costs in this area amidst tightening margins and intensified fee pressures
Group COO, Oakley CapitalRead bio
CFO - COO, Clarion GramercyRead bio
Finance Director, RJD Partners LimitedRead bio
Head of Finance and Operations, ARA VennRead bio
Director – Group Finance Operations, 3i Group PlcRead bio
COO, MV CreditRead bio
Lunch and Networking Break
Mapping out your legal framework as the regulatory screws tighten on private assets
- SFDR, EU Taxonomy and other regulatory hurdles causing the biggest headaches at present
- Ensuring that you have a legal and regulatory set-up that works for your business
- Best practice when working with legal third-parties and harnessing their expertise
- How finance functions are coping with increasing legal & regulatory spend
Traditional finance priorities for 2021 & beyond
- Latest tax disclosure requirements
- Best preparation for continued intensification of fee & expense pressures
- Putting ESG sub lines into practice
- What to expect in the carry stakes over the coming months
Becoming a data-driven private fund manager
- Finding a data management solution that works to scale for your firm
- Connectivity between systems – why this holds the key to data aggregation and protecting against data duplication and inaccuracy across the business
- Regulatory impacts on data management – GDPR, reporting and more
- Developing your data analytics capabilities to provide tangible business intelligence
- Why ESG and investor demands are transforming the data landscape
Co-Founder and COO, creditshelfRead bio
Data and Digital Portfolio ExecutiveRead bio
CFO, ActisRead bio
Portfolio Analytics & Data Science Manager, Lloyds Development CapitalRead bio
Portfolio Monitoring, InvestindustrialRead bio
Combating increasingly sophisticated cyber threats
- Why are we seeing a significant increase in the number of ransomware attacks in the market?
- Best practice for protecting yourselves and your portfolio companies
- Managing risk around third-parties
Ensuring you have a cyber-resilient workforce and culture in place
Culture, human capital and talent strategy in private assets
- Assessing how leadership attitudes towards business culture have changed
- Striking a balancing act between flexible working, employee satisfaction and high performance
- The role of technology & data analytics in talent engagement & retainment
- Remuneration, rewards and other considerations
Moderator: Stuart James, Principal, MM&K
Off the record - audience roundtable discussions over drinks
- Managing FX at the fund level
- Challenges around bank clients – Basel & more facilitated by Christian Schnabel, Managing Director, Head of Product Finance, Golding Capital Partners
- US tax considerations – the SEC & the Biden administration
- What will the future of private asset fundraising look like?
- Operational strategy & organisational design across private assets
- Carry expectations in the post-Covid era facilitated by Nigel Mills, Director, MM&K
- Weighing up the benefits of waterfall automation
- How are valuation methods & processes changing across private assets?
facilitated by Debojit Mukherjee, COO, Agilitas Private Equity
facilitated by Sahem Gulati, Private Assets Capability Lead, Strategy & Consulting, Asset Management
Networking Drinks Reception
Day 2 - Wednesday 17th
CFOs & COOs in private equity
<em>Facilitated by </em><strong>Jasi Halai, </strong>Group Financial Controller & Operating Officer, <strong>3i Group</strong>
CFOs & COOs in private debt
Facilitated by Andrew Haywood, CFO, Park Square Capital
CFOS & COOs in infrastructure
CFOs & COOs in real estate
Facilitated by Dr. Holger Braun, CFO, Allianz Real Estate
Opening presentation: Courageous Leadership
In volatile and challenging times, research has shown that the one characteristic that sets successful leaders apart can be summarised in one word: courage.
This session gives you and your team the mindset and practical tools to become more courageous, to act and take the necessary risks to be truly effective.
This action-packed and practical keynote will provide participants methods to:
- Evaluate and optimize their own leadership style and values.
- Build Courage, Increase productivity and focus and reduce stress.
- Create a culture where people admit to and learn from mistakes, fostering team collaboration, creativity and long-term term success.
Assessing the future of private investments in Europe
- What will the alternative fund landscape look like in Europe in the upcoming years?
- Could Dublin or anywhere else become a new offshore centre? And what would that mean for fund structuring and investment decision-making?
- Continuing post-Brexit operational challenges for private funds
- Are private markets in Europe becoming increasingly democratized? What does this mean for fund managers?
The rise of ESG sub lines
In-Focus Fireside Chat
· Do subscription credit facilities linked to ESG metrics or green bonds represent the ‘holy grail’ for successful ESG integration in private funds?
· Why sub lines mean more transparency for investors
· How do they manifest across the different private asset classes?
Best practice for building relationships with portfolio companies
- Effective management and monitoring of portfolio performance
- CFOs & COOs involvement in portfolio level value creation
- Working with operating partners and your CFO/COO equivalents within the portfolio companies
- What rewards will you reap from building & maintaining these successful relationships?
Moderator: Shuli Levy, CFO/COO, Expedition Growth Capital
How python modelling is set to improve investment decisions, private fund management and investor relations
Charles Foucard, CFO & Head of Development Strategy, Pictet Private Markets
Close of conference
Working Groups post event report
Working Groups featured 80+ industry leaders from across private funds with the chance to connect with other professionals. The report features interviews, highlights, and more.
Head of Operations, Climate Fund Managers
Partner and EMEA Head of Funds, Ropes & Gray
Co-Founder and COO, creditshelf
Partner and CFO, Montana Capital Partners
Partner, Direct Lending
CFO, Allianz Real Estate
Chief Financial Officer, Helios Investment Partners
International Head of Solutions Engineering Allvue Systems
CFO, Phoenix Equity Partners
Chief Financial & Operating Officer, Campbell Lutyens
Private Equity Specialist, UNPRI
Portfolio Monitoring, Investindustrial
COO/CFO, LaSalle Global Partner Solutions
CFO & Head of Development Strategy, Pictet Alternative Advisors
Private Assets Capability Lead, Strategy & Consulting, M&G Investments
Group Financial Controller & Operating Officer, 3i Group Plc
CFO & CCO, Park Square Capital
COO Europe, StepStone
General Partner & COO, IQ Capital
General Counsel & Chief Compliance Officer, Glendower Capital
Director – Group Finance Operations, 3i Group Plc
Chief Financial Officer, NTR
Group COO, Oakley Capital
CFO, Blue Water Energy
Finance Director, Hg Capital
Deputy Head of Private Capital, BNP Paribas Securities Services
CFO / COO, Expedition Growth Capital
Head of ESG Strategy, ODDO BHF Asset Management
Head of Information Systems, AssetMetrix
CFO, Anticipa Real Estate
Managing Partner, Cipio Partners
CFO - COO, Clarion Gramercy
Chief Operating Officer, Agilitas Private Equity
Portfolio Analytics & Data Science Manager, Lloyds Development Capital
IT Director and Head of Cyber, ECI Partners LLP
Finance and Technology Director, BaltCap
Partner and Deputy COO, Hg
Finance Director, RJD Partners Limited
Managing Director, Golding Capital Partners
Administrative Partner, Development Partners International
Regional Director, EWM Global
Head of Finance and Operations, ARA Venn
EMEA COO BlackRock Alternative Investors, BlackRock
Independent Non-Executive Director, Rivington Pike
Data and Digital Portfolio Executive
Platform Sales – Securities Services | J.P. Morgan
Connect with 150+ CFOs, COOs and senior finance and operations professionals, for two days of learning and networking. This is a must-attend event for those who want the tools to prime their private fund operations for the future.
Gain access to the community
Benefit from our expansive CFO and COO private funds community who will be in attendance throughout the forum.
Meet in-person once again
Connect with your peers during discussion groups, networking breaks, panel Q&As, invite-only breakfasts and an evening-drinks reception.
Build a valuable private funds network
Current attendees include Actis, DPI, DWS Infrastructure, LaSalle Investment Management, Muzinich & Co, NTR, ODDO BHF Private Equity, Park Square Capital and many more.