The Private Funds CFO Network’s Boston Roundup on June 7 is a one-of-a-kind event designed to solve your most pressing questions alongside your peers.
Join an elite group of private fund CFOs, COOs and senior finance and operations executives via intimate roundtable discussions that provide actionable outcomes for your firm.
You’ll receive vital peer insight and feedback while dissecting issues currently impacting your day-to-day work.
Benchmark new strategies
Improve processes and accelerate firm growth through interactive discussions with your CFO and COO peers.
In-depth conversations with your peers
Explore the best solutions for key issues that concern your role and team the most.
Year-round intelligence and networking
By joining the Roundup, you will gain access to the Private Funds CFO Network. The Network helps CFOs stay connected to industry insight and peers across the year.
The 2022 agenda was built through consultation with influential leaders within the private equity and venture capital CFO & COO communites. The topics covered provided relevant information to impact processes and practices within firms, such as:
- Sourcing and developing talent
- Data management practices
- Strengthening operational efficiency
- Enhancing cybersecurity protocols
- Compliance & SEC matters
2022 attendees included:
Rose Park Advisors
The CFO Roundup was a great opportunity to meet other peers and discuss the relevant topics that are top of mind. This collaborative environment is very helpful…
Nonantum Capital Partners
Content was strong. The most valuable portion of the event was the time spent with peers. We are able to share challenges and solutions in an effective and thou…
I liked the format of the various breakout sessions which allows delegates and participants to exchange ideas and share best practices in different subject matt…
Rose Park Advisors
The CFO Roundup was a great opportunity to meet other peers and discuss the relevant topics that are top of mind. This collaborative environment is very helpful so that we can improve the quality of our finance, operations, and compliance functions at our firms.
Nonantum Capital Partners
Content was strong. The most valuable portion of the event was the time spent with peers. We are able to share challenges and solutions in an effective and thoughtful way, both through the formal sessions and the networking times.
I liked the format of the various breakout sessions which allows delegates and participants to exchange ideas and share best practices in different subject matters.
Day 1 - Thursday 17th
Registration – Breakfast
Amy Coleman Redenbaugh, Managing Director, Chief Financial Officer, Thoma Bravo
Jennifer Banzaca, Senior Reporter, Private Funds CFO
Managing inflationary pressures, supply chain disruptions and other economic challenges
- Approaching portfolio company and firm valuations in today’s market
- How are firms managing increased interest rates and obtaining lines of credit?
- Are secondaries and continuation funds a solution to consistent GP cash flow?
- How can GP CFOs advise portfolio companies through economic volatility?
- Can PE handle a potential recession?
- Allocating internal and external resources to carry firms forward through an inflationary environment
- Staying ahead of Federal Reserve and SEC measures tackling inflation in private markets
Lawrence Aragon, West Coast Bureau Chief, PEI Alternative Insight
Ryan Randall, CFO, CCO and Partner, Section Partners
Nathan Sanders, General Partner, Chief Operating Officer, TCV
Christopher Smith, CFA, Partner & CFO, SER Capital Partners
Nina Yoo, Chief Financial Officer, Fengate Asset Management
West Coast Bureau Chief, PEI Alternative InsightRead bio
CFO, CCO and Partner, Section PartnersRead bio
General Partner, Chief Operating Officer, TCVRead bio
Christopher Smith, CFA
Partner & CFO, SER Capital PartnersRead bio
Chief Financial Officer, Fengate Asset ManagementRead bio
Topic A | Instituting a recipe for success in fundraising
- How involved are CFOs & COOs today’s fundraising process?
- Navigating LP demand for more disclosure
- Applying historical and current data to make informed investment decisions
- How are firms catering to both global and emerging LPs?
- Effects of inflation on private market fundraising
- How are GPs balancing in-person and virtual fundraises?
- Evaluating the future of side letters
Amanda Coussens, CFO, P10
Clara Chang, VP, Finance, DCVC
Topic B | Approaching internal recruitment and retention in an intense environment
- Enhancing short and long-term employee experiences across the firm
- Determining the proper amount of back/middle-office staff to carry the firm forward?
- What skill sets are firms seeking from finance and operations professionals to boost the firm’s capabilities?
- Surpassing race and gender: increasing diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives to drive employee and investor satisfaction
- From job posting to candidate acceptance: how are firms engaging in today’s recruitment cycles and practices?
- Employing alternative internal and external recruitment resources to source talent outside of PE & VC
Scott Farden, Partner and Chief Operating Officer, Nonantum Capital Partners
Stella Ho, Partner, LightBay Capital
Topic C | Refreshing the investor reporting process to correspond with LP and regulatory demands
- How are the back/middle offices responding to ad-hoc requests?
- What new items are LPs looking to find in quarterly and annual reports?
- Creating a practical and sustainable repository that satisfies LPs
- Developing reporting framework to showcase both firm and portfolio company ESG efforts
- How will the SEC’s proposed rules change investor reporting requirements?
- Implementing automation to aid the investor reporting process
Blake Bennett, Chief Financial Officer & Chief Compliance Officer, Revelstoke Capital Partners
Jennifer Randle, Executive Vice President – Finance and Operations, TCG
Topic D | Enhancing firm-wide operational efficiencies while adjusting to updated industry norms
- Strengthening communication practices across the firm to drive informed decision-making
- Coping with the loss of intellectual capital as firms and outsourcing partners undergo staffing changes
- Where do cross-departmental efforts sit within the firm (ESG, IT, data, etc.)?
- How are firms staffing teams to meet industry and LP demands?
- Instituting professional development programs and plans to strengthen individual and team-wide skillsets
- Navigating relationships with service providers in today’s environment
- How have remote or hybrid working environments evolved for finance and operations teams?
- Identifying effective technology solutions to help firms make informed decisions more rapidly
Sharon Hwang, Partner and Chief Operating Officer, MSP Sports Capital
Aani Nerlekar, Senior Director, Solutions Consulting, SS&C Advent
Breakout A | Taking a proactive approach to taxes
- Understanding the latest in pass through state entity taxes and their effect on GPs
- What’s ahead for carried interest taxes?
- Enhancing communication efforts with portfolio companies to gather prevalent tax information for the firm and LPs
- Evaluating available resources to help organize necessary records and documents for the firm and portfolio companies
- Assessing how the SEC & IRS tax plans on the horizon will impact firm operations
- Addressing tax challenges and rules when working with foreign investors
- Is creating an in-house tax team necessary to manage and keep up with the influx of foreign and domestic tax updates?
Jennifer Banzaca, Senior Reporter, Private Funds CFO
Joshua Cherry-Seto, Partner and Chief Financial Officer, StartUp Health
Dan Drury, Managing Director, Makena Capital Management
Randy Randleman, Managing Director and Chief Operating Officer, Sumeru Equity Partners
Breakout B | Assembling a robust IT infrastructure to further expand GP capabilities
- Approaching firm-wide buy when adopting new programs and platforms
- Is PE fully ready to adopt AI and machine learning capabilities?
- Determining when to build in-house solutions or outsource?
- Creating an IT budget that aligns with firm size and evolving growth
- Evaluating potential cyber risks during implementation periods
- Should firms hold on to their legacy systems as a backup?
- What technology solutions are LPs looking for their GPs to have?
- Tech alert: what tools are available to drive efficiency and decision making?
Reilly Parker, Director, Private Equity Sales, eSentire
Adam Handlos, Chief Financial Officer, Galvanize Climate Solutions
Brendan Marshall, Founder & CEO, Flow
Jared Thear, CFO, CCO & COO, Western Technology Investment
Breakout C | Strengthening firm-wide data management practices to help drive strategic growth
- Utilizing both qualitative and quantitative data to provide firms and LPs informative insights
- Increasing data standardization and integration across the back, middle and front offices
- How are firms for collecting, analyzing, and sharing ESG data with investors?
- Uncovering additional focus areas to record that will aid in firm advancement (i.e., DE&I and talent management)
- Keeping up with LP requests for portfolio-company specific data
- Addressing confidentiality and cyber risk concerns when sharing internal data with external partners
- Leveraging modern technology to modernize data management and analysis
Sol Zlotchenko, Chief Strategy Officer, Chief Product Officer, Hazeltree
Gadi Gefen, Chief Financial Officer, Next47
Nina Labatt, Chief Operating Officer & Chief Financial Officer, Section 32
Ivor van Esch, CFO and CCO, Knox Lane
Breakout D | The role of finance teams in ESG reporting and development
- Looking beyond the basics: what makes an ESG program unique from the finance and operations perspective?
- Managing the LP appetite for ESG (data, reporting, due diligence, etc.)
- Best practices for quantifying ESG data
- Tying carried interest to ESG metrics
- Preparing the firm for ESG regulatory requirements as the SEC looks to solidify rules on industry initiatives
- Enlisting help from third parties to aid in ESG reporting
Jennifer Banzaca, Senior Reporter, Private Funds CFO
Matt Allessio, Head of Growth and Rise Operations, TPG
Machal Karim, Head of ESG, Blue Owl Capital
David Smolen, Partner and Chief Operating Officer, GI Partners
Think tank A (GPs only) | Instituting compensation tactics and incentives that align with a budding market
- How is inflation playing a role in today’s employee compensation efforts?
- Strategies for incentivizing staff that are not eligible for carry
- What soft benefits can be added to the total employee package?
- What additional fund performance compensation methods can firms apply to increase employee earnings across the firm (i.e., phantom carry)?
- Are remote or hybrid working options must have incentives for today’s talent?
Suzanne Guthrie, Chief Financial Officer, Maverick Capital
Think tank B (GPs only) | Navigating a new era of compliance
- How often should firms review and revise their policies and manuals?
- Preparing the firm as new guidelines and rules come into effect (i.e., fee disclosure, side letter agreements, fund indemnification, general investor reporting, etc.)
- Evolving finance and operations team processes to align with the current regulatory environment
- Compliance considerations for remote and hybrid employees
- How are firms overseeing compliance when investing overseas?
- What cyber rules are in place to protect the firm when working with external parties?
- Establishing compliance and mitigating conflict of interest with GP family offices?
- Are third party providers equipped to help firms keep up with increasing cyber compliance efforts?
Patrick Dominguez, Chief Compliance Officer, Vector Capital
Think tank C (GPs only) | Refining cybersecurity efforts at the firm
- How are firms staying ahead of sophisticated bad actors and emerging attack methods?
- Innovative approaches to continuous internal cybersecurity training
- What are LPs seeking in both firm and portfolio company cybersecurity policies?
- Taking stock of all devices in its IT inventory (in and out of the office) to help mitigate cyber risk
- Efforts to protect the firm when granting external parties access to sensitive materials (encryption, password protected documents, etc.)
- How to prepare for proposed SEC cybersecurity rules?
Pankti Shah, VP of Finance, Sumeru Equity Partners
Think tank D (GPs only) | Staying ahead-of-the-curve while simultaneously managing daily obligations
- Where should GPs allocate internal funds to enhance the firm?
- Enhancing investment offerings to entice LPs while staying true to the firm’s core values
- Taking a hold of new growth platforms (crypto, blockchain)
- How are firms growing due diligence efforts?
- Are PE and VC ready to be more public facing rather than remain private?
- Alleviating tasks from the CFO & COO agenda to focus on strategic growth
- Obtaining the proper resources to protect the firm from prospective threats and risks as firms are evolving
Eleena Melamed, Managing Director and Head of Strategic Operations, The Carlyle Group
Cocktail reception and end of Roundup
For speaking opportunities, contact Nikki Gale at email@example.com.
Head of Growth and Rise Operations, TPG
Vice President, Private Markets Solutions and Business Development, State Street
Director, Institutional Sales, Backstop Solutions
West Coast Bureau Chief, PEI Alternative Insight
Senior Manager - ESG Services, Crowe LLP
Chief Operating Officer, Mainsail Partners
VP Human Capital, MiddleGround Capital
Senior Reporter, Private Funds CFO
Chief Financial Officer & Chief Compliance Officer, Revelstoke Capital Partners
Partner and Chief Financial Officer, StartUp Health
Chief Financial Officer, Tribeca Venture Partners
Chief Financial Officer, Clarion Capital Partners
Chief Financial Officer and Chief Compliance Officer, P10
Chief Compliance Officer, Vector Capital
Managing Director, Makena Capital Management
Partner and Chief Operating Officer, Nonantum Capital Partners
Chief Financial Officer, Next47
Chief Financial Officer, Maverick Capital
Chief Financial Officer, Galvanize Climate Solutions
Assistant Director and Co-Head, Private Funds Unit, U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission
Partner, LightBay Capital
Partner and Chief Operating Officer, MSP Sports Capital
Head of ESG, Blue Owl Capital
Director of Human Resources, TA Associates
Chief Operating Officer & Chief Financial Officer, Section 32
General Counsel, Parthenon Capital Partners
Founder and CEO, Flow
Managing Director, Finance, Insight Partners
Managing Director and Head of Strategic Operations, The Carlyle Group
Senior Director, Solutions Consulting, SS&C Advent
Director, Private Equity Sales, eSentire
Senior Director, Nasdaq Private Funds
CEO, Atlas by Holland Mountain
Global Chief Compliance Officer, EJF Capital
Executive Vice President - Finance and Operations, TCG
Managing Director and Chief Operating Officer, Sumeru Equity Partners
CFO, CCO and Partner, Section Partners
Managing Director, Chief Financial Officer, Thoma Bravo
General Partner, Chief Operating Officer, TCV
Customer Success Manager, Apperio
VP of Finance, Sumeru Equity Partners
Partner & CFO, SER Capital Partners
Managing Director, General Counsel & Chief Compliance Officer, GI Partners
Chief Financial Officer / Chief Compliance Officer, Gauge Capital
Partner & Chief Financial Officer, US, Pomona Capital
CFO, CCO & COO, Western Technology Investment
Founding Partner, Chief Financial Officer & Chief Compliance Officer, Motive Partners
CFO and CCO, Knox Lane
Chief Operating Officer & Chief Financial Officer, Sageview Capital
Head of IT & Cybersecurity, Siris Capital
Chief Financial Officer, Fengate Asset Management
Chief Strategy Officer, Chief Product Officer, Hazeltree
The Private Funds CFO conferences enable providers to highlight their unique expertise to private equity’s most influential network of c-suite decision-makers. Sponsorship gives you:
- VIP access
- Thought-leadership opportunities
- High-profile branding
- And much more …
For more information on available sponsorship opportunities please contact Josh Stoller at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Attendees all gain a 12-month membership to the Private Funds CFO Network, a service designed to enhance your Boston Roundup networking experience.
Members can connect with peers throughout the year, set up pre-meetings with those attending the Boston Roundup, meet in-person on the day, or pick up a conversation after the conference. The Network also provides opportunity for extra CPE credits for you and your team across the year.
Stay ahead of industry-wide issues with monthly webinars and virtual think tanks covering the most pressing subjects that CFOs face today (CPE credits available).
Find and connect with like-minded professionals facing similar challenges at our events and through our private network platform only available to members.
Join us in person and listen to the industry’s best keynote speakers, engage in working groups, think tanks, and much more. Members receive reduced price offers to our in person events.